My self diagnosis

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 08:12 pm
I was unable to sleep last night due to the most horrible, intense gas pains. I couldn't figure out what I ate to cause this but my mind went wild with thoughts of tumor, ovarian cyst or bowel obstruction.

I tried to turn myself to allow the gas to move through the intestines but the pain would not leave my right side.

I ended up sleeping a whopping 3 hours before getting up for work.

At the end of my shift I pulled the ultrasound machine into a corner and scanned the area of my pain.

Sh!t, I've got gallstones!

The last thing I want is surgery. I'm going to see if this was a one time deal, however, in hindsight this pain has occurred before.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,386 • Replies: 60
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 08:21 pm
ugh.

Too bad you can not just operate on yourself easily huh?

Im sorry this is happening.
Hopefully it wont be a long drawn out process getting them taken care of.

And you BETTER .. dont leave them there..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 08:48 pm
Wow, very impressive! Sorry about the stones and your pain. Is there no other way than surgery?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 08:56 pm
yikes! Didn't someone here recently have this? Yes they did, but I'm not naming names... that's up to them. Is it early days for the stones or is surgery required?
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 10:20 pm
I have to figure a way of telling my primary physician what's going on. The stones look too big to pass. The thing is that I'm not an ultrasound technologist so this type of thing is frowned upon.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 10:23 pm
Um.

Who cares?

I would absolutely take my behind right to his office and tell him everything.

There is no proof of what you did. And you will get in NO trouble.

Trust me. I have done similar in my nursing days. You will be fine in that aspect.

Doc will need to do another anyway to confirm so you REALLY dont have to be 100% honest if you dont want to. He will see it himself.

But do tell him. If anything , just to place the privacy bar a little higher between you two.

Hell. you want ME to come over and do it Wink
Because i will..
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 10:26 pm
I will, too, Marty, and between the two of us that should scare the kerap outta you. Your doc isn't gonna tell anyone.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 10:29 pm
I'll call her tomorrow. You guys are right, damn healthcare workers make the worst patients.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 10:41 pm
Good on ya. Keep us posted. And keep me posted when you're coming up. I'll charge my camera batteries Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 11:05 pm
Diane went through complicated deep **** re gall stones.

Get thee to a good gastroenterologist, girl. Now. Skip past advice re beets.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 01:08 pm
Saw my primary physician this morning and having REAL ultrasound this afternoon. Had lab work done too.

I'm on it!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 01:10 pm
(big cheesy online hug)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 02:18 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
(big cheesy online hug)

ditto, but add 'squishy' to that Smile
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 04:47 pm
You guys are sweet! Sitting here waiting to get squeezed in to the ultrasounds schedule.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 04:54 pm
Waiting with you...
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 04:57 pm
Yep - have made a cuppa....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 05:04 pm
I'm waiting as well......
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:47 pm
Well, the radiologist said my gallbladder was the size of his head. But joking aside, I have subacute cholecystitis. My gallbladder measures 15 cm and is so distended that the tech took the ultrasound probe down past my navel. There are 2 huge stones and sludge blocking the duct from allowing the gallbladder to empty.
The Dr said I could probably still go dancing on Sat night but may want to be talking with a surgeon about a date.
More to follow....nap time.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 06:57 pm
Yikes!

I just spoke with my housemate. Her cousin is in the hospital (the second hospital) because he had a gallbladder so badly infected that it had become gangrenous!!!! The organ was pretty much decompossing in his body. He spent almost 2 weeks in the two hospitals and it doesn't look like he's leaving any time soon (though he is fine, which blows my mind).

Not to scare you. Glad you got yourself checked up and have a plan. Enjoy your rest....... Hope he gave you good pain meds.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 07:06 pm
K - plan in action then - keep us posted girlie. Take care Smile

(nite all)
0 Replies