Obama's electability

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 10:36 am
but you see.... and speaking only for myself... I'm not attached to her campaign beyond what's reasonable... I stated as early as several weeks ago.... more than once.... that I expected Obama to get the nomination... that doesn't mean i don't think Hillary is the better choice...and I'm allowed to.... last week, next week, on the day that either obama or mccain are inaugurated.... 7 years after bush was inaugurated I cling to the belief that Gore would have done a better job..... and yet all of the country knows bush was elected.... so I'm self righteous because of it?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 10:38 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
but you see.... and speaking only for myself... I'm not attached to her campaign beyond what's reasonable... I stated as early as several weeks ago.... more than once.... that I expected Obama to get the nomination... that doesn't mean i don't think Hillary is the better choice...and I'm allowed to.... last week, next week, on the day that either obama or mccain are inaugurated.... 7 years after bush was inaugurated I cling to the belief that Gore would have done a better job..... and yet all of the country knows bush was elected.... so I'm self righteous because of it?

I will readily admit that you are not the worst offender in this case, by a long shot.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 11:15 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Advocate wrote:
I doubt that many conservatives would happily call themselves right- wingers. Right?

I'm a right-winger. Very Happy

Happily, so am I.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 11:47 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Advocate wrote:
I doubt that many conservatives would happily call themselves right- wingers. Right?

Happily, so am I.

Yeah, pretty much a right-winger as well. Though I did play left wing in AYSO for a year.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 12:14 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Advocate wrote:

Happily, so am I.

Yeah, pretty much a right-winger as well. Though I did play left wing in AYSO for a year.

Oooh, good point. Technically I'm a sweeper.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 04:23 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I will readily admit that you are not the worst offender in this case, by a long shot.

Cycloptichorn

Magnanimous of you.That must make bipo feel better. Now he gets to linger on the periphery of your campfires, not feeling the warmth but...almost.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 04:28 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Magnanimous of you.That must make bipo feel better. Now he gets to linger on the periphery of your campfires, not feeling the warmth but...almost.

He could come sit down any time he likes. That's the beauty of the campfire.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 08:54 pm
snood wrote:
It is more standard disingenuousness on okie's part to pretend he doesn't know about the way rightwingnuts have turned liberal into a 4 letter word over the modern political era.

It carries the baggage of a million perjorative launches now.

In the same way that 'gay' (not that there's anything wrong with it Laughing )used to mean happy, liberal had a literal meaning that has nothing to do with the way people on the right fling it now.

When it seems people are distancing themselves from the label, its that perjorative sneer they're distancing from.

And the thing about it is, okie and Tico know that, but play their f*cked up game anyway.

I don't think okie was being disengenuous at all.

It is an observable fact that liberals & those on the left of American politics have worked every bit as hard as their opposite numbers to heap scorn on the labels attached to their opponents: "right wingnuts" is hardly meant to be a flattering label, and whatever implications conservatives have attached to the word liberal, have been amply returned by the liberals themselves. I think the only difference here is that liberals - on this subject at least - appear to be far more sensitive to the implied criticism. A case of being unwilling, or unable, to take a dose of what you so amply dish out.

Is the game you are playing here any less "f*cked up" ?
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 09:03 pm
bipolar and nimh,

I'd guess a 6. And only because you have encouraged me. I would have thought a 4.5. This guy is too intelligent, too far-sighted. Politicians are short-term oriented...right?

I began emailing and telling people about him a year ago. They asked me...Who? Who is this?

Now they are all piling on. It doesn't matter. When people get in the booths, they will vote their fears and insecurities...not what they have told pollsters.

McCain is security -- he is Big Daddy. Obama is the unknown, the Pied Piper leading us to a way out of our morass. the morass bothers us...vaguely...oh, dear, we were misled. But..wait...there is the old guy, our father, he will protect us.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 09:40 pm
snood wrote:
It is more standard disingenuousness on okie's part to pretend he doesn't know about the way rightwingnuts have turned liberal into a 4 letter word over the modern political era.

In the same way that 'gay' (not that there's anything wrong with it Laughing )used to mean happy, liberal had a literal meaning that has nothing to do with the way people on the right fling it now.

When it seems people are distancing themselves from the label, its that perjorative sneer they're distancing from.

And the thing about it is, okie and Tico know that, but play their f*cked up game anyway.

I would certainly agree with you in regard to "gay," snood. The lifestyle is anything but gay. I think it is mostly miserable, based on my observational opinion. However, your comparison is flawed in that "gay" has nothing to do with homosexuality in terms of its original meaning, while "liberal" has traditionally been applied to politics for a very very long time, just as conservatism has also, although the meanings tend to drift or change in terms of perception through time and geographical location.

I would also point out that conservatives did not invent the term, "liberal" for liberals, in the same fashion as liberals invented "right wingnut" or similar terms for variations of conservatism. I think liberal politics earned the reputation, as opposed to the term "liberal" being applied to a reputation. There is a difference.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 10:10 pm
Obama has a bare majority over Clinton minus Michigan and Florida. Democrats make up 1/3 or more of the electorate. 2/3s are Republicans and Independents. Obama has 1/6 of the electorates voting for him. 5/6th of the electorate haven't voted yet. Don't count your chicken before they are hatched.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 10:17 am
talk72000 wrote:
Obama has a bare majority over Clinton minus Michigan and Florida. Democrats make up 1/3 or more of the electorate. 2/3s are Republicans and Independents. Obama has 1/6 of the electorates voting for him. 5/6th of the electorate haven't voted yet. Don't count your chicken before they are hatched.

This is simply incorrect. Polling data has shown that Americans are self-identifying as 'democrat' in FAR greater numbers then they are Republican.

The last Pew poll showed a split of 40 to 26%. That's a 14 point advantage right there. And when 'independents' are pushed, 2/3rds of them lean Dem.

Don't be a Cassandra. Things look good for the Dems this cycle.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 10:30 am
Your wrong. The democrats don't look good except in comparison to the republicans who have screwed themselves and the rest of the country during the Bush presidency. The democratic party is still made up of a bunch of crooked politicians who will be big business orientated once they get elected. Its the same old story. Tell them what they want to hear until I am elected than screw em.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 10:32 am
rabel22 wrote:
Your wrong. The democrats don't look good except in comparison to the republicans who have screwed themselves and the rest of the country during the Bush presidency. The democratic party is still made up of a bunch of crooked politicians who will be big business orientated once they get elected. Its the same old story. Tell them what they want to hear until I am elected than screw em.

Thanks for sharing your angry and cynical opinion.

I'll stick with the polling data. It seems a little more, I dunno, balanced.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 11:28 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I don't consider you guys to be meanie Obama folk at all... and your opinions don't hurt or wound me... you completely misinterpret.... most of the time I am just baiting.... but I always bait those who are self righteous and attach themselves to a person or opinion beyond what's reasonable....

Indeed, you are an accomplished baiter, BiPB. One might even say that you are a master.
0 Replies

Not a Soccer Mom

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 11:49 am
okie wrote:
[I would certainly agree with you in regard to "gay," snood. The lifestyle is anything but gay. I think it is mostly miserable, based on my observational opinion. However, your comparison is flawed in that "gay" has nothing to do with homosexuality in terms of its original meaning, while "liberal" has traditionally been applied to politics for a very very long time, just as conservatism has also, although the meanings tend to drift or change in terms of perception through time and geographical location.

I would also point out that conservatives did not invent the term, "liberal" for liberals, in the same fashion as liberals invented "right wingnut" or similar terms for variations of conservatism. I think liberal politics earned the reputation, as opposed to the term "liberal" being applied to a reputation. There is a difference.

I have never known many gay people in my life, thanks for sharing. I imagine though, that unlike yourself, there are a lot of happy gay people out there. Are you openly gay in real life too?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 12:01 pm
Not a Soccer Mom wrote:
okie wrote:
[I would certainly agree with you in regard to "gay," snood. The lifestyle is anything but gay. I think it is mostly miserable, based on my observational opinion. However, your comparison is flawed in that "gay" has nothing to do with homosexuality in terms of its original meaning, while "liberal" has traditionally been applied to politics for a very very long time, just as conservatism has also, although the meanings tend to drift or change in terms of perception through time and geographical location.

I have never known many gay people in my life, thanks for sharing. I imagine though, that unlike yourself, there are a lot of happy gay people out there. Are you openly gay in real life too?
Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 03:14 pm
It would be dishonest of me to remain silent after hearing Barack Obama's speech delivered at the Cuban American National Foundation last Friday. I feel no resentment towards him, for he is not responsible for the crimes perpetrated against Cuba and humanity. Were I to defend him, I would do his adversaries a favour. I have therefore no reservations about criticising him and expressing myself frankly.

What were Obama's statements? "Throughout my entire life, there has been injustice and repression in Cuba. Never, in my lifetime, have the people of Cuba known freedom. Never, in the lives of two generations of Cubans, have the people of Cuba known democracy ... I won't stand for this injustice ... I will maintain the embargo."

This man who is doubtless, from the social and human points of view, the most progressive candidate for the US presidency, portrays the Cuban revolution as anti-democratic and lacking in respect for freedom and human rights. It is the same argument US administrations have used again and again to justify crimes against our country. The blockade is an act of genocide. I don't want to see US children inculcated with those shameful values.

No small and blockaded country like ours would have been able to hold its ground for so long on the basis of ambition, vanity, deceit or the abuse of power, the kind of power its neighbour has. To state otherwise is an insult to the intelligence of our heroic people.

I am not questioning Obama's great intelligence, his debating skills or his work ethic. He is a talented orator and is ahead of his rivals in the electoral race. Nevertheless, I am obliged to raise a number of delicate questions. I do not expect answers; I wish only to raise them for the record.

Is it right for the president of the US to order the assassination of any one person in the world, whatever the pretext? Is it ethical for the president of the US to order the torture of other human beings? Should state terrorism be used by a country as powerful as the US as an instrument to bring peace to the planet?

Is an Adjustment Act, applied as punishment to only one country, Cuba, in order to destabilise it, good and honourable when it costs innocent children and mothers their lives? Are the brain drain and the continuous theft of the best scientific and intellectual minds in poor countries moral and justifiable?

Is it fair to stage pre-emptive attacks? Is it honourable and sane to invest millions and millions of dollars in the military-industrial complex, to produce weapons that can destroy life on earth several times over? Is that the way in which the US expresses its respect for freedom, democracy and human rights?

Before judging our country, Obama should know that Cuba - with its education, health, sports, culture and science programmes, implemented not only in its own territory but also in other poor countries around the world, and in spite of the economic and financial blockade and the aggression of his powerful country - is proof that much can be done with very little. Cuba has never subordinated cooperation with other countries to ideological requirements. We offered the US our help when hurricane Katrina lashed the city of New Orleans. Our revolution can mobilise tens of thousands of doctors and health technicians. It can mobilise an equally vast number of teachers and citizens who are willing to travel to any corner of the world to fulfil any noble purpose, not to usurp rights or take possession of raw materials.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article20006.htm
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 08:55 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
It would be dishonest of me to remain silent after hearing Barack Obama's speech delivered at the Cuban American National Foundation last Friday. I feel no resentment towards him, for he is not responsible for the crimes perpetrated against Cuba and humanity. Were I to defend him, I would do his adversaries a favour. I have therefore no reservations about criticising him and expressing myself frankly.

What were Obama's statements? "Throughout my entire life, there has been injustice and repression in Cuba. Never, in my lifetime, have the people of Cuba known freedom. Never, in the lives of two generations of Cubans, have the people of Cuba known democracy ... I won't stand for this injustice ... I will maintain the embargo."

This man who is doubtless, from the social and human points of view, the most progressive candidate for the US presidency, portrays the Cuban revolution as anti-democratic and lacking in respect for freedom and human rights. It is the same argument US administrations have used again and again to justify crimes against our country. The blockade is an act of genocide. I don't want to see US children inculcated with those shameful values.

No small and blockaded country like ours would have been able to hold its ground for so long on the basis of ambition, vanity, deceit or the abuse of power, the kind of power its neighbour has. To state otherwise is an insult to the intelligence of our heroic people.

I am not questioning Obama's great intelligence, his debating skills or his work ethic. He is a talented orator and is ahead of his rivals in the electoral race. Nevertheless, I am obliged to raise a number of delicate questions. I do not expect answers; I wish only to raise them for the record.

Is it right for the president of the US to order the assassination of any one person in the world, whatever the pretext? Is it ethical for the president of the US to order the torture of other human beings? Should state terrorism be used by a country as powerful as the US as an instrument to bring peace to the planet?

Is an Adjustment Act, applied as punishment to only one country, Cuba, in order to destabilise it, good and honourable when it costs innocent children and mothers their lives? Are the brain drain and the continuous theft of the best scientific and intellectual minds in poor countries moral and justifiable?

Is it fair to stage pre-emptive attacks? Is it honourable and sane to invest millions and millions of dollars in the military-industrial complex, to produce weapons that can destroy life on earth several times over? Is that the way in which the US expresses its respect for freedom, democracy and human rights?

Before judging our country, Obama should know that Cuba - with its education, health, sports, culture and science programmes, implemented not only in its own territory but also in other poor countries around the world, and in spite of the economic and financial blockade and the aggression of his powerful country - is proof that much can be done with very little. Cuba has never subordinated cooperation with other countries to ideological requirements. We offered the US our help when hurricane Katrina lashed the city of New Orleans. Our revolution can mobilise tens of thousands of doctors and health technicians. It can mobilise an equally vast number of teachers and citizens who are willing to travel to any corner of the world to fulfil any noble purpose, not to usurp rights or take possession of raw materials.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article20006.htm

It would be remarkable for you to remain silent.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 09:09 pm
snood wrote:

This is such unadulterated nonsense.

The Big Bad "rightwingnuts" have compelled Americans to perceive liberals in a negative sense! What a crock.

It can't possibly be that Americans have come, on their own, to associate "liberal" with "bad."

If "Gay" has become a pejorative, it is not because of some sinister program of mind control, but because homosexuals have adopted the term and a large segment of Americans find homosexuality to be objectionable. Whether or not you agree with them, or whether or not in any absolute sense they are wrong, the negative association of "Gay" was not imposed on anyone.

So too with "liberal."

It is, ironically, classic liberal elitism to suppose that the masses could not possibly find liberals objectionable unless some diabolical cabal squeezed their weak minds into thinking so.

If you run from "liberal" you are a coward, or...not a liberal.

Calling yourself a "Progressive" is not going to fool anyone, and it won"t be long before those bad ass rightwingnuts convert the term to a pejorative.

Where will you flee to then?

"Hip Good Guys?"
0 Replies