The Case Against John McCain

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 04:57 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I accept your views as stated. I could argue with your list of the key factors, the values attached to each, and some other factors I would add to my version of such a list, but accept it as yours, and don't see any point in the exercise. Stated another way you see about 2.3 to 1 odds of an Obama win.

Another dimension to the forecast is the uncertainty one might attach to it (or stated conversely, the confidence you have in it). I'm not trying to get into and numerical estimate of that statistic, but do believe it (uncertainty) is - for all of us - somewhat higher this year than in the last several elections. That reflects the long time remaining as well as other factors involving the candidates and the respective parties.

My estimate is about 60% - 40%. The differences in the influence factors I would include involve chiefly (1)potential negatives about Obama in quarters that don't support him (enthusiastic voters have the same voting power as moderately convinced ones.) that may emerge (and not simply racism, though that is how they will likely be labelled) , and (2) negative reaction to the tax increases the Democrats are fairly unanimously proposing.

Even 60-40% isn't all that bad!

Tax cuts are an issue which have gone down in the public consciousness in importance with every passing year, for one simple reason: half of the population pays essentially no taxes, and you aren't going to cut their taxes any farther....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 05:17 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Tax cuts are an issue which have gone down in the public consciousness in importance with every passing year, for one simple reason: half of the population pays essentially no taxes, and you aren't going to cut their taxes any farther....

Cycloptichorn

Well the other half is certainly aware of their effects, and the question might come down to the relative proportion that votes.

BTW my estimate is 60%-40% for Obama so we aren't nearly as far apart as the rhetoric here might suggest. There may be a lesson for us
in that.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 09:05 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Well the other half is certainly aware of their effects, and the question might come down to the relative proportion that votes.

BTW my estimate is 60%-40% for Obama so we aren't nearly as far apart as the rhetoric here might suggest. There may be a lesson for us
in that.

Man, scary thought, people that don't pay out-voting people that do pay, on the issue of who pays what.

I like tax cuts, and of course without a balanced budget it's not quite that great, but from the perspective of bravado. I mean, it's undignified to be paying and getting it back, my first choice would be, you know, but for a politico to say in effect 'you do your thing, I'm going to keep the G in business with less of your hard-earned...', shows the potential for right-mindedness.

I know, I know, that's not how it works, but when you hear 'give us more, there'll be increasing marginal returns' - I say 'prove it smart ass!'. Maybe on some issues, some folks could, but by and large, instead of showing what they can do with what they already take, the Libs default to whining and moralizing - which, I mean I hate Jumpin Jack Welsch and his company, but these slime are in sore need of accountability to some sort of quality philosophy, for their own damn good (like in the case of Ted Kennedy, who should be discharged and rehab-ed) as much as ours.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 08:44 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

in that.

I'm upping my estimate to 75% based upon Childer's historic win last night.

In fact, the Dems have been taking traditionally Republican districts left and right since 2000. It's difficult for me to see how McCain is going to turn this trend around.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 10:52 am
These fellows can explain the angst with McCain better then I can.

http://redstate.com/stories/elections/2008/elections#comment

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 02:00 pm
Correcting for oversimplification, he's not conservative enough for you? Might be a sign that both parties have outgrown their vision that the candidate does well to be just conservative/liberal enough. I don't see McCain as exploiting it, he hasn't the subtlety/dearth of character to posture himself that much, I think he's just the right guy at the right time to benefit from the dynamic. Still the way both parties are relativistic-ing the issues makes my skin crawl, defeats the purpose entirely - it ends up being high-inertia mob-rule filtered through the biggest, most dominant ass-hole. No room for three parties as such, too many people not at least thinking they's getting what they want - the conclusion I keep reaching is to carve the constitution in stone once and for all and return power to the states (hehe, let 'em in the UN individually, that'll learn Europe!)...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 02:04 pm
hanno wrote:
Correcting for oversimplification, he's not conservative enough for you? Might be a sign that both parties have outgrown their vision that the candidate does well to be just conservative/liberal enough. I don't see McCain as exploiting it, he hasn't the subtlety/dearth of character to posture himself that much, I think he's just the right guy at the right time to benefit from the dynamic. Still the way both parties are relativistic-ing the issues makes my skin crawl, defeats the purpose entirely - it ends up being high-inertia mob-rule filtered through the biggest, most dominant ass-hole. No room for three parties as such, too many people not at least thinking they's getting what they want - the conclusion I keep reaching is to carve the constitution in stone once and for all and return power to the states (hehe, let 'em in the UN individually, that'll learn Europe!)...

McCain is not intelligent enough for me. His political positions don't match up with mine either, but that's of secondary importance.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 02:05 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
hanno wrote:

McCain is not intelligent enough for me. His political positions don't match up with mine either, but that's of secondary importance.

Cycloptichorn

What if he rode a bike?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 02:10 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
hanno wrote:

Cycloptichorn

What if he rode a bike?

It wouldn't affect his intelligence one way or the other. But he would likely be in better shape.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 02:13 pm
(h/t Soz in another thread)

McCain has a serious problem, in that he has consciously surrounded himself with people who do business with very bad people, on a regular basis.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/195061.php

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 04:04 pm
Spin doctor got his hands dirty in Iraq? Is using propaganda in a conflict dirty? Sounds like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 07:33 pm
oooooooh noooooo...

Hate to double-post, but in the spirit of being hoisted on ones own petard, I'm actually going to contribute positively to the theme...

McCain Climate Change presentation

This is disconcerting. It's definitely a half-assed attempt at something, I just hope it's a half-assed attempt to shut up tree huggers and trick 'em into voting for him. I just said somewhere I don't see him posturing much, in this case at least he's not doing a good job of it. Got a cute cartoony picture of one of those fascist mercury lightbulbs I hate and everything.

It can't be what it seems, no one who'd been a POW could be so inane. If the man were really behind this as opposed to his team, and sincere he'd know those wind farms don't pay themselves off before the bearings wear out. Still, puts a cold shower to my secret fantasy of the return of the sodium-reactor and starving the third world with ethanol...

Damn, damn, damn, I was prepared for him to be too far right for my tastes, but he's all over the radar - this is either the work of a genius or a madman!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:34 am
georgeob1 wrote:

Believe what you like and continue the deceptive propaganda as long as you choose and believe it still benefits your cause.

Quite the side splitter coming from you, gob1.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 01:19 pm
From a report on a conference call betwxit McCain and Conservative bloggers.

Quote:
Senator McCain set out his definition of victory in Iraq, including control of the country by the Maliki government, the Iraqi military taking over responsibility and U.S. troops out of harms way and reducing U.S. troop presence, but he stressed that this does not mean we leave Iraq, or that there is not still "sporadic fighting." He again analogized a long-term presence in Iraq to those in Kuwait and Korea.

He's STILL doing this, George and others who claimed that he has not been doing this. Iraq is NOTHING like Kuwait and Korea. He fundamentally misunderstands the situation.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 06:41 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
From a report on a conference call betwxit McCain and Conservative bloggers.

Quote:
Senator McCain set out his definition of victory in Iraq, including control of the country by the Maliki government, the Iraqi military taking over responsibility and U.S. troops out of harms way and reducing U.S. troop presence, but he stressed that this does not mean we leave Iraq, or that there is not still "sporadic fighting." He again analogized a long-term presence in Iraq to those in Kuwait and Korea.

He's STILL doing this, George and others who claimed that he has not been doing this. Iraq is NOTHING like Kuwait and Korea. He fundamentally misunderstands the situation.

Cycloptichorn

Iraq IS very similiar to Korea if you look back to see what Korea looked like in 1953. You are confusing the Korea of TODAY. (PS: WE should not have any troops in Korea either)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 12:14 pm
McCain's looking worse and worse by the day, and one major reason is: he's a liar. All his talk about not being associated with Lobbyists or pork is a lie. His campaign is neck-deep in lobbyists and he personally is involved in some shady deals.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN1621038420080516?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

Quote:
Presumptive Republican presidential candidate John McCain secured millions in federal funds for a land acquisition program that provided a windfall for an Arizona developer whose executives were major campaign donors, according to a USA Today report.

McCain, an Arizona senator, inserted $14.3 million in a 2003 defense bill to buy land around Luke Air Force Base in Glendale, Arizona, in a provision sought by SunCor Development, the largest of 50 landowners near the base, the newspaper reported on its Web site Thursday, citing public records.

Upset with a state law that restricted development around the base, SunCor representatives met with McCain's staff to lobby for funding, USA Today reported, citing the company's president at the time, John Ogden.

The Air Force later paid SunCor $3 million for 122 acres near the base -- three times its assessed value and twice the military's estimated value, the newspaper said.

My guess is that there are many, many more stories like this going to come out before the election.

There's also the question of him attempting to hide his business dealings by not releasing his wife's tax returns. This is unacceptable behavior for a presidential candidate and he will be hurt by this issue over and over as the campaign goes on. For someone who purports to be a 'straight shooter,' he sure seems to be a secretive type who isn't afraid to lie about his record as a Senator.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 12:21 pm
Who is a liar?

"Last August The Boston Globe, in a piece by Scott Helman, took a hard look at Obama's contributions, noting that "behind Obama's campaign rhetoric about taking on special interests lies a more complicated truth." That truth revealed that as a state legislator in Illinois, a U.S. senator, and as a presidential aspirant, Obama had collected hundreds of thousands of dollars from lobbyists and PACs. Helman quoted an Obama campaign spokeswoman saying that after he experienced firsthand the influence of Washington lobbyists, he was taking a different approach to fundraising than he had in the past, and that "his leadership position on this issue is an evolving process." If Obama's leadership on campaign financing is indeed evolving, more news outlets should be following the evolution."

http://www.cjr.org/campaign_desk/obamas_lobbyist_line.php

They both have closets full of stuff.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 12:30 pm
Yes, but you don't see Obama making comments like this -

Quote:

Clearly a lie.

You also ought to be able to show what Obama did for these donors, if you are looking to make an equivalence out of it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 01:24 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Yes, but you don't see Obama making comments like this -

Quote:

Clearly a lie.

You also ought to be able to show what Obama did for these donors, if you are looking to make an equivalence out of it.

Cycloptichorn

With over 30 years of service, I am sure there are more issues with McCain than for Obama who has only been around for what 4 years? Yet, he too has "issues" he will be faced with based on his past relationships, voting record etc.

I prefer to discuss positions.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 01:53 pm
Hanno:

Quote:
Still, puts a cold shower to my secret fantasy of the return of the sodium-reactor and starving the third world with ethanol...

Why would you want to starve the third world?
0 Replies