woiyo,

Accurate and well-stated.

Truly laughable, George. See above.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 12:41 pm
Well I looked, and I didn't laugh!

You are very enthusiastic about your beliefs, and sometimes intemperate when advancing them. In particular, I've noticed you really don't like to find your own qualities mirrored back to you from the other side of the question under dispute.

I, on the other hand, am open-minded, reasonable, and, though persistent and a bit unyielding, a generally good guy. Cool
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 12:48 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

You are very enthusiastic about your beliefs, and sometimes intemperate when advancing them. In particular, I've noticed you really don't like to find your own qualities mirrored back to you from the other side of the question under dispute.

I, on the other hand, am open-minded, reasonable, and, though persistent and a bit unyielding, a generally good guy. Cool

Heh. You ought to admit thought that what Woiyo wrote, while compelling, isn't necessarily true in the slightest.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 12:51 pm
The irony I see on this thread (and many others) is that the posters, regardless of pov, truly believe exactly what they post. there is no argument of value but, rather, defense of pov/understanding. puce is reddish brown, no you idiot puce is purplish brown, or my favorite, certs is an after-dinner mint, NO you idiot, certs is a rectal suppository.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 12:51 pm
georgeob1 wrote:

Indeed, George, and of a self-serving nature, you forgot to say! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 12:56 pm
"Naturally, Obama has a record, and you are either exaggerating, or have not bothered to research the record."

I am being kind when I say he has no record.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 01:04 pm
woiyo wrote:
"Naturally, Obama has a record, and you are either exaggerating, or have not bothered to research the record."

No, actually you're not, you're displaying your bias just as the majority of us posting here do. Don't lie, your nose will grow.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 01:06 pm
dyslexia wrote:
No, actually you're not, you're displaying your bias just as the majority of us posting here do.

You're right, Dys, when you say the majority.

I, for one, don't show any bias towards your bias..
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 01:10 pm
Where to begin ???

Of course I'm self-serving ! You guys are far too slow and unreliable, Francis, above all, for anything else.

Dys, of course sees ONLY irony - in everything. The rest is simply food for his crankiness.
With respect to his clever riff on Certs -- my reaction is, both are right -- what is sauce for the goose is clearly sauce for the gander (as it were). Very Happy

Cyclo is too wrapped up in his argument to deal with the irony, but still completely unwilling to admit that anything in Woiyo wrote has the slightest element of truth in it. .... Or, on the other hand, was that instead a clever double entendre, designed to throw me off my game? Hard to figure - his stubborness and wit are matched.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 01:11 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

Heh. You ought to admit thought that what Woiyo wrote, while compelling, isn't necessarily true in the slightest.

Cycloptichorn

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 01:16 pm
dyslexia wrote:
woiyo wrote:

No, actually you're not, you're displaying your bias just as the majority of us posting here do. Don't lie, your nose will grow.

No, I really believe and the facts will support my belief that Obama has no record, or at best, a poor record in the Senate.

He has, to my knowledge, not sponsered any bill that ultimately became law.

He votes almost straight on the Party Line which means he is not an independant thinker.

He has less than 8 years of public service at the federal level.

His record is what it is.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 01:16 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Where to begin ???

Of course I'm self-serving ! You guys are far too slow and unreliable, Francis, above all, for anything else.

Dys, of course sees ONLY irony - in everything. The rest is simply food for his crankiness.
With respect to his clever riff on Certs -- my reaction is, both are right -- what is sauce for the goose is clearly sauce for the gander (as it were). Very Happy

Cyclo is too wrapped up in his argument to deal with the irony, but still completely unwilling to admit that anything in Woiyo wrote has the slightest element of truth in it. .... Or, on the other hand, was that instead a clever double entendre, designed to throw me off my game? Hard to figure - his stubborness and wit are matched.

No, I'm quite serious. The things Woiyo has said about McCain are untrue. Now, some of them are opinions, and there's nothing wrong with people's opinions being whatever they like.

He hasn't even bothered to defend the statements, or link to statements of McCain's supporting what he's said, or anything. I'm more then happy to provide links to McCain's speeches, questions he's answered, votes of his, and positions he has taken on various Sunday shows throughout the last few years.

I think that Woiyo, and it seems yourself to a certain extent, have bought the image of McCain that is being presented by the Right Wing (now that he is the nominee) hook, line and sinker. Much of it is false.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 01:19 pm
Hi, Cyclo! How are you doing? Very Happy
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 01:22 pm
Francis wrote:
Hi, Cyclo! How are you doing? Very Happy

It's finals week here at the law school, and it's a busy time for me. I am tasked with managing about 10 people, and there are somewhere between 3500 and 4000 individually serialized exams for the students, none of which can be misplaced without there being big big trouble. So it's a little stressful.

Politically though; things are going great Smile

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 01:24 pm
I'm happy for you, Cyclo! Very Happy

I'm sorry for you, George! Twisted Evil

Politically, that is..
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 01:47 pm
I believe the uncertainties in this election are far too great to be fuel for anyone's emotions right now. Evidently Cyclo thinks it's a 'slam dunk' for Obama. However, the intensity of his reaction to the slightest suggestion that any of his seemingly fixed ideas about the candidates may be wrong, suggests to me that at a deeper level he does see the uncertainty before him. Alternatively, he could really be as closed-minded and intolerant as he appears - though I doubt it.

Is Obama now, or will he come to be seen as,
(1) the far left wing senator with a political background as a "neighborhood organizer" with ties to retired but unrepentent revolutionaries and advocates of racial warfare, deceptively packaged as a new age unifier:
or instead will his professed stance as (2) the fresh new energetic leader animated with a rare combination of intellectual brilliance, a non-sectarian understanding of the human dilemmas that beset us and how to get us all by them, and a sound grasp of the strategic ussues before us, will come to dominate the public perception.

I believe that both outcomes are possible, and I find it difficult to estimate which will end up dominating voter reactions. I also find it difficult to place Obama on this spectrum myself. Uncertainty is my chief reaction in both instances.

My strongest suspicions are, however, reserved for those who are certain beyond doubt that they know the answers.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 02:46 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
I believe the uncertainties in this election are far too great to be fuel for anyone's emotions right now. Evidently Cyclo thinks it's a 'slam dunk' for Obama. However, the intensity of his reaction to the slightest suggestion that any of his seemingly fixed ideas about the candidates may be wrong, suggests to me that at a deeper level he does see the uncertainty before him. Alternatively, he could really be as closed-minded and intolerant as he appears - though I doubt it.

Is Obama now, or will he come to be seen as,
(1) the far left wing senator with a political background as a "neighborhood organizer" with ties to retired but unrepentent revolutionaries and advocates of racial warfare, deceptively packaged as a new age unifier:
or instead will his professed stance as (2) the fresh new energetic leader animated with a rare combination of intellectual brilliance, a non-sectarian understanding of the human dilemmas that beset us and how to get us all by them, and a sound grasp of the strategic ussues before us, will come to dominate the public perception.

I believe that both outcomes are possible, and I find it difficult to estimate which will end up dominating voter reactions. I also find it difficult to place Obama on this spectrum myself. Uncertainty is my chief reaction in both instances.

My strongest suspicions are, however, reserved for those who are certain beyond doubt that they know the answers.

I have never said that this election was a 'slam dunk' for Obama, George. Do I need to link to my post of just a day or so ago, in which I wrote that Obama would have to work very hard to win this thing?

I think you are mis-representing my position, sir. It is true that I am spending a lot more time discussing McCain's problems and challenges then Obama's; but frankly, I've been ignoring McCain for months now while the other half of this drama played out. The pendulum is simply swinging the other way at the moment.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 03:17 pm
If I have the wrong impression of your estimate of the situation and the likely outcome of the coming election, I'm glad to change it. However, just on this thread, there are several affirmations on your part that Obama will win by a large margin, and many more are to be found on others. Perhaps this is just cheerleader talk on you part. I don't object to it, but the fact is you don't often make clear distinctions between such things and your "real" forecasts. Just to help clarify it, what (say to the nearest 10%) do you see today as the probability that (say) Obama will win (assuming, as seems likely, that he is the Democrat candidate)?

I remain very uncertain about Obama himself and the likely outcome of the election. I can visualize it going either way, and by a healthy margin in either direction. I do agree that by the "normal" political standards, 2008 should be a very good year for the Democrats.

I don't think that the extended primary has really hurt the Democrats in any lasting way. Certainly some potentially significant issues were raised, but they would have come out anyway. Overall I think the pluses & minuses were about equal in this. I believe Obama will be the Dem. candidate, and that voter uncertainty about what & who he really is will be an important issue in the result -- how much, I don't know. Lots of time remaining and lots of opportunity for both candidates to make mistakes. with high consequences.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 03:53 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
If I have the wrong impression of your estimate of the situation and the likely outcome of the coming election, I'm glad to change it. However, just on this thread, there are several affirmations on your part that Obama will win by a large margin, and many more are to be found on others. Perhaps this is just cheerleader talk on you part. I don't object to it, but the fact is you don't often make clear distinctions between such things and your "real" forecasts. Just to help clarify it, what (say to the nearest 10%) do you see today as the probability that (say) Obama will win (assuming, as seems likely, that he is the Democrat candidate)?

I remain very uncertain about Obama himself and the likely outcome of the election. I can visualize it going either way, and by a healthy margin in either direction. I do agree that by the "normal" political standards, 2008 should be a very good year for the Democrats.

I don't think that the extended primary has really hurt the Democrats in any lasting way. Certainly some potentially significant issues were raised, but they would have come out anyway. Overall I think the pluses & minuses were about equal in this. I believe Obama will be the Dem. candidate, and that voter uncertainty about what & who he really is will be an important issue in the result -- how much, I don't know. Lots of time remaining and lots of opportunity for both candidates to make mistakes. with high consequences.

Okay, I'll bite.

Let us start by saying that this is not a productive conversation unless we assume that neither Obama nor McCain is going to make a game-ending gaffe. If that happens all bets are off.

At this time, that being said, I would give Obama a 70% or better chance of winning this election. There are a wide variety of factors which are working in his favor; I will not go to them in depth, but a short list would include:

- Dissatisfaction with the direction of the country in general.
- Dissatisfaction with Republicans in general at this time.
- Large enthusiasm for Obama amongst his followers.
- Large money advantage for Dems (for once).
- Dissatisfaction with McCain within his own party.
- Higher Dem party identification then Rep. party identification, by a lot

and so on and so on. Let us remove the names of the candidates from consideration; any observer of politics would look at this situation and come to the conclusion that the Dems are more likely to win this cycle.

Of course, this is why we hold campaigns; and why the personal qualities of the candidates are important. In this case, there are ups and downs for both candidates, often when talking about the same qualities!

For example, Obama is young and full of energy (plus) but also rather inexperienced due to his youth (minus). McCain is very, very old to be running for Prez (minus) but has experience due to his many years of service (plus).

I don't believe that McCain will be able to effectively attack Obama using his associations. For one thing, he has personally disdained such attacks and has even gone to the lengths of criticizing those members of his own party who have attacked Obama this way. Another thing, he has some contacts of his own which are less then savory. Most importantly, though, I don't think things said or done by people other then the candidate themselves are as damaging as the opponents would want them to be.

I do believe that Obama has a greater command of some of the issues then McCain. There have been some times during the campaign when McCain seems geniunely confused to hear certain questions; earlier this year, when the topic of AIDS prevention came up, he literally didn't know what the person was talking about. That sort of thing is going to be used against him at every opportunity. He's famously said 'I don't know much about economics.' This is going to hurt him. I doubt we've seen the last of this.

I hate to say it, but he is also rather prone to being confused and mis-speaking. It's difficult to imagine putting a president in place who cannot tell the difference between Sunni and Shiites. I don't believe that McCain was merely mis-speaking, as he's made this mistake about 20 times in the last three months. This isn't going to go over well with much of the electorate.

Obama will have to make an effective case for his candidacy, and I agree with others that mere promise of 'change' isn't going to cut it. He needs to be forceful and aggressively project an image of his vision for America and give specifics about how he would like to make it happen. I don't beleive that it will be a cake-walk or a 40-state victory. But I have a hard time imagining a situation in which Obama would have a better path to the WH then currently exists. He's a well-spoken and intelligent candidate in an environment where the other team is currently suffering from a public relations problem. He should win.

Anything can and will happen, of course; but I have no problem being confident about this election. I think he has what it takes. I don't think McCain has what it takes.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 04:32 pm
I accept your views as stated. I could argue with your list of the key factors, the values attached to each, and some other factors I would add to my version of such a list, but accept it as yours, and don't see any point in the exercise. Stated another way you see about 2.3 to 1 odds of an Obama win.

Another dimension to the forecast is the uncertainty one might attach to it (or stated conversely, the confidence you have in it). I'm not trying to get into and numerical estimate of that statistic, but do believe it (uncertainty) is - for all of us - somewhat higher this year than in the last several elections. That reflects the long time remaining as well as other factors involving the candidates and the respective parties.

My estimate is about 60% - 40%. The differences in the influence factors I would include involve chiefly (1)potential negatives about Obama in quarters that don't support him (enthusiastic voters have the same voting power as moderately convinced ones.) that may emerge (and not simply racism, though that is how they will likely be labelled) , and (2) negative reaction to the tax increases the Democrats are fairly unanimously proposing.
0 Replies