The Case Against John McCain

blueflame1

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 08:30 pm
mysteryman, I wonder how many former POWs given the chance McCain has would have voted against our troops benefits as many times as McCain has. "IAVA Grades Congress on Supporting Our Troops (Updated)
by Kevin Jon Heller
Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, the first and largest group of its kind, has given letter grades to every Representative and Senator based on their voting history on issues that affect soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan, war veterans, and military families. The methodolgy used by the non-profit and non-partisan group was straightforward:" http://www.opiniojuris.org/posts/1161743701.shtml "Senator John McCain D" http://www.iava.org/full-ratings-list
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 06:14 am
Not only has McCain voted no on troop funding but he is again hypocritical about it when he accusing Obama of doing the same.

Quote:
McCain spoke first, in New Orleans, and he accused his younger rival of voting "to deny funds to the soldiers who have done a brilliant and brave job" in Iraq. It was a reference to 2007 legislation to pay for the Iraq war, a measure Obama opposed citing the lack of a timetable for withdrawing troops.

source

H.R. 1591

McCain (R-AZ), Nay

McCain (R-AZ), Nay

S.Amdt. 3007 to S.Con.Res. 83

McCain (R-AZ), Nay

Plenty more here
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 06:20 am
Quote:

Links embedded at the source
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 06:48 am
Yep, good point.

Looking forward to (if they do this) the possibility of Obama needling McCain into flashes of temper, too.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 09:30 pm
http://static1.firedoglake.com/1/files//2008/06/mcfail.thumbnail.jpg
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 10:07 pm
Quote:

How can these guys admit to being fake journalists and still keep their jobs? These two jokers have aided and abetted McCain in this just as they have with the liars in the WH.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 07:10 am
Quote:
McCain's Day Marked by False Statements and Gaffes

A series of misstatements and verbal gaffes hampered Sen. John McCain on the day that unofficially marked the beginning of his general election campaign against Barack Obama.

Appearing at a press conference in Louisiana on Wednesday, McCain claimed that he had supported "every investigation" into the flawed response to Hurricane Katrina, when, in fact, he had twice voted against creating a commission to inspect the tragedy.

The remark immediately bounced around political circles and websites. After all it was just a few months ago when McCain defended those very votes on the back of his campaign bus, casting them as part of a broader campaign against wasteful spending.

"I'm proud of my support of American citizens regarding the taxpayers," the Senator said in April. "I will not vote for projects and programs and bills that are laden with pork-barrel projects that waste taxpayers' dollars."

The entire episode elicited a scathing rebuttal from the Obama camp.

"Whether he simply wasn't aware of his voting record again or he was intentionally misleading the people of Louisiana, John McCain certainly isn't offering us 'leadership you can believe in,'" wrote aide Hari Sevugan. To which, McCain's aides accused Obama of negative campaigning, saying the Senator wasn't familiar with the specific votes and had always supported Senate investigations, just not commissions.

That trip-up, however, was mild in compared to the gaffe that happened earlier in the day, when McCain acknowledged he was not aware that Obama had introduced a bill that called for international divestment from Iran.

Reporter: Are you familiar with his disinvestment bill? McCain: No, I am not familiar with it at all. I do not know if it passed the senate or had any hearing or anything else. I had, so, literally thousands and thousands pieces of legislation are proposed every year. I know what he did. He voted against the Iranian revolutionary guard being declared a terrorist organization.

The admission could prove damaging for a variety of reasons. For starters, Obama's bill, which passed overwhelmingly in the House of Representatives, is currently being held up in the Senate by Republican Sen. Richard Shelby. More significantly, two McCain surrogates, Sen. Joseph Lieberman and Rep. Eric Cantor, are co-sponsors of Obama's measure despite, on Wednesday, ripping the Illinois Democrat for not having the experience to deal with Iran.

But a more worrisome issue for the McCain campaign may just be that a theme is emerging, both within the media and political circles, that the Arizona Republican has a penchant for playing loose with the facts. Indeed, last week, McCain lost crucial news cycles after he falsely claimed that force levels in Iraq had been drawn down to pre-surge levels and then, instead of admitting he misspoke, said the whole thing was a debate over verb tense. This, in turn, came after the Senator claimed, again falsely, that Iran was training al-Qaeda in Iraq, when in fact the two groups are religious and political adversaries.

All told, the gaffes have provided Obama an opportunity to re-frame a man who is best known as a "straight talker," a image battle McCain can ill afford to lose.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 07:23 am
If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, McCain must think a lot of Obama.

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/files/images/080211_change.jpg

http://api.ning.com/files/-xqAG4e7syaQZG3OfX3X6dGGuGpTvVNGb7qSB7C1Vf*7K3nS4fnIsrr*sGYGzEgj6TgHIroN7ZtlS2JBrtjEfMToU5UPNuQO/ObamaLogo.jpg

http://www.johnmccain.com/images/HP2/060408_decisioncenter1.jpg
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 07:42 am
They are not similar. Must be taking the good drugs today!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 07:45 am
Shocked

Yep, nothing similar between "Change we can believe in" and "A leader we can believe in." There are, like, two different words! (If you include the "a.")

And nothing similar about the red-and-white stripedy field with blue and white glowy rays emerging from it... nothing similar at all...
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 08:00 am
Leader sounds much better than change....you have to agree with that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 08:05 am
In a vacuum, maybe. It's hard for me to tell because it's so NOT a vacuum -- "Change we can believe in" has been Obama's slogan since the very beginning, and it's so closely associated with him now.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 08:12 am
Yeah, unfortunately Obama is stuck with it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 08:16 am
"Unfortunately"? "Stuck"?

Seems to be working pretty well for him.

And to bring things full circle -- McCain seems to think so too. :-)

(McCain's new slogan is awfully derivative... you have to agree with that.)
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 08:19 am
But McCain isn't copying Obama, he is playing off of his message but making it more meaningful. That's what you do in a marketing competition.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 08:25 am
He isn't copying Obama?? Ohh kaayyy.

And I don't actually like McCain's meaning better if that's what we're talking about. "Change" is more general, includes the possibility of movement-change, bottom-up change, doing-this-together change. "Leader" is all about one guy. McCain. "Just trust me <big scary grin>"

I personally prefer the first (movement vs. individual) and think it's also more effective in terms of energizing voters.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 08:28 am
I also just realized the "we" is weird in McCains. It should be more like "A leader you can believe in." Why is he saying "we" when he's talking about himself?

Whereas part of the point is that Obama ISN'T just talking about himself. He's saying c'mon, be a part of this, work with me. The change we can accomplish is bigger than any of us. He is one of the "we," alongside the other voters and volunteers. McCain is putting himself above the "we," though -- he's the leader. So "we" doesn't work there.

(Yes, I was an English major.)
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 08:34 am
I agree with you on the 'we'.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 08:51 am
sozobe wrote:
Shocked

Yep, nothing similar between "Change we can believe in" and "A leader we can believe in." There are, like, two different words! (If you include the "a.")

And nothing similar about the red-and-white stripedy field with blue and white glowy rays emerging from it... nothing similar at all...

CHANGE?? SMANGE.....

Every 4 years we hear the same tired old CHANGE angle and it is all BS.

A President needs to LEAD. I do not recall Obama being a leader at any time in his political life. A leader needs the respect of those who will follow. One earns respect by being experienced and having demonstrated leadership abilities.

Obama demonstrates none of these abilities. McCain does.
0 Replies

Arendt

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 09:17 am
Obama has led his campaign far better than any other candidate. Leading a great, organized, disciplined campaign doesn't automatically make one a great president, but it doesn't count for nothing, and it is certainly no negative.
0 Replies