The Case Against John McCain

blueflame1

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 09:49 am
Robert L. Borosage: McCain and the Cuba LibreJohn McCain seems intent on embracing every failed policy of the Bush administration. Iraq, check; top end tax cuts, check. Privatization of Social Security, check. Unraveling employer based health care, check. And this weekend, McCain boldly informed the remnants of the Miami Cuban expatriots that he will sustain the most egregiously failed US policy of them all -- the Cuban embargo.
link
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 10:55 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Wouldn't it be in the best interest of the sub-prime lenders to have the borrowers bailed out? It seems that having a home forclosed upon costs the lending institutions money and thus the issue that banks like UBS face. It would seem that Gramm wasn't doing a very good job of lobbying McCain.

Perhaps instead, being a conservative and all, McCain believes that people should learn to live within their means.

This is nothing more then leftist hype. Much like the rest of the "case" against McCain posted in this thread which so far almost entirely consists of "He's not Obama."

Ah, no; what they want is for the huge number of people who are barely scraping by on their mortgages to keep paying.

Leftist Hype, my ass. McCain has every single lobbyist in Washington on his election team, it seems, while purporting to be an anti-lobbyist candidate. He's a liar and a hypocrite. And stuff like this is really going to hurt him in the Fall, because he has no defenses for it.

Cycloptichorn

Every Single Lobbyist? Quite an exaggeration.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 11:02 am
You must have missed the words 'it seems,' which indicate that it was an exaggeration, yes.

Jeez

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:31 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Wouldn't it be in the best interest of the sub-prime lenders to have the borrowers bailed out? It seems that having a home forclosed upon costs the lending institutions money and thus the issue that banks like UBS face. It would seem that Gramm wasn't doing a very good job of lobbying McCain.

Perhaps instead, being a conservative and all, McCain believes that people should learn to live within their means.

This is nothing more then leftist hype. Much like the rest of the "case" against McCain posted in this thread which so far almost entirely consists of "He's not Obama."

Ah, no; what they want is for the huge number of people who are barely scraping by on their mortgages to keep paying.

Oh, I see. McCain wants people to be able to keep their homes... ummm... what's wrong with that? Shouldn't people who looked for their dream home be able to keep it?

Quote:
Leftist Hype, my ass. McCain has every single lobbyist in Washington on his election team, it seems, while purporting to be an anti-lobbyist candidate. He's a liar and a hypocrite. And stuff like this is really going to hurt him in the Fall, because he has no defenses for it.

Cycloptichorn

The above is leftist hype. I don't believe I could have come up with a better example, so I thank you for saving me the effort.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:34 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Oh, I see. McCain wants people to be able to keep their homes... ummm... what's wrong with that? Shouldn't people who looked for their dream home be able to keep it?

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

The above is leftist hype. I don't believe I could have come up with a better example, so I thank you for saving me the effort.

Empty assertion, you can't provide evidence so you pretend it's unneccessary. Which part of what I said is incorrect? McCain IS running as an anti-lobbyist reformer and he DOES have a staff full of lobbyists, and it's already a problem for him.

The Mortgage brokers want people who are barely affording their 1200 a month payments to keep paying them; they want to keep getting the money. How hard is that to understand? The percentage of foreclosures is still far smaller then the percentage who are still paying, and it's making plenty of money for the houses.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:43 pm
No, you see it's a problem for those that oppose McCain, not really a problem for him. They people on his campaign are lobbying for McCain now. McCain is against the lobbyist power held over congress, that much is true. But does that mean that people he has worked with for years and years are automatically black listed from working on his campaign because of a job they had before?

That seems rather, well, excuse the term, but retarded. Seems that everyone working in Washington D.C. is a lobbyist and finding experts to run a campaign successfully may require taking on someone that may have worked as a lobbyist.

At least they aren't terrorists.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:46 pm
McGentrix wrote:
No, you see it's a problem for those that oppose McCain, not really a problem for him. They people on his campaign are lobbying for McCain now. McCain is against the lobbyist power held over congress, that much is true. But does that mean that people he has worked with for years and years are automatically black listed from working on his campaign because of a job they had before?

That seems rather, well, excuse the term, but retarded. Seems that everyone working in Washington D.C. is a lobbyist and finding experts to run a campaign successfully may require taking on someone that may have worked as a lobbyist.

At least they aren't terrorists.

When I was growing up the phrase was "at least he ain't Charles Manson."

McCain apologist are hard at work I see.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 12:47 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The Mortgage brokers want people who are barely affording their 1200 a month payments to keep paying them; they want to keep getting the money. How hard is that to understand? The percentage of foreclosures is still far smaller then the percentage who are still paying, and it's making plenty of money for the houses.

Cycloptichorn

skipped this part...

So, let me get this straight... people, some smart, some maybe not so smart, found a property, signed legal paperwork and contracts and borrowed large amounts of money to purchase that property and now the lenders have the nerve to expect to be paid back?! What kind of fantasyland are we living in here? Imagine that! Lenders actually expecting to be paid by the people they lended the money too... where does it end? What next? Farmers being expected to be paid for the crops they grow?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 01:06 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Wrong. The Bankers not only want the bail out, they also want to take possession of the property, sell it and recover most of what they charged off.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 01:53 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

skipped this part...

So, let me get this straight... people, some smart, some maybe not so smart, found a property, signed legal paperwork and contracts and borrowed large amounts of money to purchase that property and now the lenders have the nerve to expect to be paid back?! What kind of fantasyland are we living in here? Imagine that! Lenders actually expecting to be paid by the people they lended the money too... where does it end? What next? Farmers being expected to be paid for the crops they grow?

Rolling Eyes

The point isn't that the bankers will do what's in THEIR best interest, the point is that McCain's advisers are telling him to ALSO do what's in the bank's best interest; not necessarily the interests of the American people.

This is why RTFA is a useful acronym.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 02:19 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

skipped this part...

Rolling Eyes

The point isn't that the bankers will do what's in THEIR best interest, the point is that McCain's advisers are telling him to ALSO do what's in the bank's best interest; not necessarily the interests of the American people.

This is why RTFA is a useful acronym.

Cycloptichorn

So you have the sit down meeting with McCain like I suggested? That is how you know what McCain's advisors are telling him?

I would suggest they are telling him how to win the election against his Democratic opponents which would be why they were hired. But, I suppose that would not be juicy enough and there must be some kind of wickedness going on in the McCain headquarters. I mean what would Phil Gramm know about economics beyond what his Swiss bank masters want him to know, right? He is obviously a slave to them... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 08:22 pm
Quote:
Corporate lobbyists are the exclusive owner-operators of McCain's Straight Talk Express. Voters are left stranded at the bus stop.

http://www.reachm.com/amstreet/

0 Replies

hanno

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 04:50 pm
JTT wrote:
Quote:
Corporate lobbyists are the exclusive owner-operators of McCain's Straight Talk Express. Voters are left stranded at the bus stop.

http://www.reachm.com/amstreet/

Great argument for Bob Barr (I was thinking Mary Ruwart, it would have been cool...) over the populists. I could swear that's not what you're getting at.

The Red candidate and the Blue candidate will both be tools to some extent, one is more profit-driven, one is more subtle in terms of motivation and more overt in means. The motivation - hell, I'm not Saint Peter and one vote ain't the key to the gates. the means - if I were an octopus on Iron-Chef, that would be the chef's knife - so that's what makes me cringe.

That was all there was to it with Bush & Kerry - but this time we've got one hell of a war-hero, and someone who, beyond tool-ness/mob mentality, I don't see what he's doing there instead of any of the other business/law types in the federal government of this great land.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 12:51 pm
McCain has completely changed his position on domestic spying and the limits of executive power in the last 6 months. A 180-degree change.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/06/03/mccain/index.html

Just more flip-flopping from the Straight Lie express

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 01:10 pm
McCain has been a very effective Senator for many many years.

Changing your positions over time is a quality I find admirable.

Obama has been in public service for about 20 minutes in comparison to McCain. Obama needs to find a position that makes sense. Then with experience, those positions may change. just like he changed his position on his church.

For now, just wishful thinking on your part to classify this as a "flip-flop".
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 01:12 pm
woiyo wrote:

Obama has been in public service for about 20 minutes in comparison to McCain. Obama needs to find a position that makes sense. Then with experience, those positions may change. just like he changed his position on his church.

So, you are claiming that McCain has not done a flip-flop on this - in the last 6 months, when there really hasn't been any new developments to change his mind?

It's obvious that you didn't read the link. He's directly contradicted his own statements; that's the definition of a flip-flop.

btw, Obama's public service record is about half as long as McCain's.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 02:03 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:

So, you are claiming that McCain has not done a flip-flop on this - in the last 6 months, when there really hasn't been any new developments to change his mind?

It's obvious that you didn't read the link. He's directly contradicted his own statements; that's the definition of a flip-flop.

btw, Obama's public service record is about half as long as McCain's.

Cycloptichorn

Don't need to read anything to know that a wise man is one who is secure enough in his position to change his mind.

btw, Don't count Obamas time as a teacher. He is a 3 term State Senator (who lost the primary for US Rep...remember) and a one term US senator who spent most of his first term campaigning for a job he is not yet qualified to hold.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 02:19 pm
Yeah, he's secure enough in his position to change it completely Laughing

You're a laff riot

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 02:20 pm
And you were secure enough in yours to post an 8.5. Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 02:22 pm
Brand X wrote:
And you were secure enough in yours to post an 8.5. Laughing

Still sounds about right. He's not only leading in the national poll averages, he's leading EVs in electoral state counts, he's leading in Party ID, and he's leading heavily in terms of money. What exactly looks so bad for him, again?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies