The Case Against John McCain

JTT

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 04:23 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
McTag wrote:
Gore Vidal said, "John McCain is incredibly stupid, even for an American."

Embarrassed

True, but when he finished speaking he was still Gore Vidal, the now superannuated, self-loathing invert he always has been. Vidal could never forgive the world for producing one such as himself, and as a result esteems only other hate-filled critics.

What's pertinent to the election can obviously stop after, "True". And just why would anyone want an "incredibly stupid" president.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 04:46 pm
Well, you might think that......

:wink:
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 05:24 pm
George-

At what point in the day do you become self-loving?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 05:46 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
McTag wrote:

Embarrassed

True, but when he finished speaking he was still Gore Vidal, the now superannuated, self-loathing invert he always has been. Vidal could never forgive the world for producing one such as himself, and as a result esteems only other hate-filled critics.

He's certainly a complex individual, not insignificant.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/generalfiction/story/0,,2281987,00.html
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 05:56 pm
Norman Mailer head butted him when he wasn't expecting it.

Bushwhacking I think they call it.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 06:06 pm
mysteryman wrote:
snood wrote:
MM, this just makes you look disingenuous. You know dang well McCain's age and history would make his health more suspect. Well, to a reasonably objective person, it would.

That wasnt my point.
I was simply pointing out that nobody seems to care that Obama hasnt released his.

Also, as a black man, Obama is predisposed to certain diseases, ones that strike the black community with more prevalene then the white community.

How do we know he doesnt have any of those diseases?

I am speaking about diseases like
Sickle Cell Anemia
http://www.blackhealthcare.com/BHC/SickleCell/Description.asp
AIDS
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/resources/reports/2006supp_vol12no1/table8.htm

and others.
As a citizen, I have the right to know if he has ever had or has now those diseases.

MM, I'm going to kindly suggest you learn about what you are talking about.

SCA is a genetic disease. If Obama were to have it, he would have had it for 46 years.

HIV/AIDS has a higher infection rate with the African Americans. However, the CDC nor any other health authority I know of suggests that African genetics make people more prone to infection. I.e. - Given a black person and a white person are exposed to the same strain of the HIV virus, there is no reason to believe the White person is at less of a risk.

See also SARS
See also Bird Flu

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 06:19 pm
JTT wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
McTag wrote:

Embarrassed

What's pertinent to the election can obviously stop after, "True". And just why would anyone want an "incredibly stupid" president.

HAHAHAHAHA Laughing My thoughts exactly.

T
K
O
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 02:49 pm
link
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 05:57 am
snood wrote:
MM, this just makes you look disingenuous. You know dang well McCain's age and history would make his health more suspect. Well, to a reasonably objective person, it would.

He is in great condition according to the reports. You have a problem with old people?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 06:00 am
spendius wrote:
George-

At what point in the day do you become self-loving?

Soon after waking. Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 06:30 am
sozobe wrote:
(Just here for a minute, "something like 80" is a very rough estimate and not something I'm standing by, no time to research the number though.)

Lots of different counts of course, but First Read/ NBC News has been one of the more careful/ conservative counts. Their numbers are currently:

Quote:
The NBC NEWS Delegate Counts:
PLEDGED: Obama 1,647 to 1,502
SUPERDELEGATES: Obama 315.5 to 282.5
EDWARDS PL. DELEGATES: Obama 12 to 0
TOTAL: Obama 1,974.5 to 1,784.5

* Obama is 51.5 delegates away from the required 2,026, according the NBC NEWS counts.

(Emphasis mine.)

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/05/26/1065538.aspx

He got 6 over the weekend (to Hillary's 1).
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 10:10 am
McCain is going to have a tough week this week.

Today's fund-raiser with GWB, yeah. Couldn't sell nearly enough tickets and had to move to a supporter's mansion instead of holding it at a large arena as planned.

My guess is that we also will be hearing a little more about his top advisor Black this week...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 06:10 pm
Obama: "McCain Doesn't Want To Be Seen, Hat-In-Hand, With The President" link http://bp2.blogger.com/_9ks36c549BI/SBEMcsRZwAI/AAAAAAAAAY8/k9tpsKJDrPI/s400/mccainbirthday.jpg
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 10:06 pm
Quote:

Home sweet home?

Even Texas Republicans such as Dallas Rep. Pete Sessions are distancing themselves from President Bush.

The president, Mr. Sessions told a group of eighth-graders visiting the Capitol last week from Akiba Academy in Dallas, "is doing everything he thinks is correct," and yet "the American people are fed up.... we've lost the House and Senate, and everybody hates George Bush."

The problem, Mr. Sessions said, is that the president hasn't reached out enough, on a host of issues.

"When I was the quarterback of the team," Mr. Sessions said, "if I came and told everybody, 'I don't care whether you like it or not, I'm going to do what I want to do,' my guys wouldn't block for me."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/politics/local/stories/DN-texwatch_25nat.ART.State.Edition1.46ce432.html

0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 10:23 pm
Well, it wasn't Black, but another adviser of McCain who is in trouble.

Quote:
05.27.08 -- 10:32PM // link | recommend (15)
Big Trouble?

Below I noted MSNBC's story tonight about how fmr. Sen. Phil Gramm (McCain's economics advisor) was advising him on his subprime mortgage bailout policy while Gramm was also a registered lobbyist for the Swiss bank UBS.

Now, it's clear from the report that UBS had some exposure on the subprime front. But I wasn't aware of the true extent of it. TPM Reader KB sends in articles Businessweek and Forbes that show just how big a player UBS was. Forbes says that UBS is among the banks worst hit by the global credit crisis, particularly in their direct exposure to the US subprime market. According to Forbes, UBS has some $37 billion in write-downs on assets tied to bad US mortgages. In other words, the bank's very life appears to be on the line in how the US government chooses to handle the matter.

As MSNBC reported, UBS deregistered Gramm as a lobbyist for the company on April 18th, though he continues to serve as a vice chairman of the bank. But that was fully a month after McCain's speech outlining his own approach to the crisis.

Many of the lobbying connections the press has dug up on McCain have been embarassing. But I'm not sure any have really had teeth until this one. After all, how much does the average voter care that Charlie Black represented a lot of foreign dictators? A stench, yes? But finding out that McCain had a major subprime lender bank lobbyist whispering in his ear when McCain told the public that it was basically tough luck if they lost their houses?

--Josh Marshall

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/197233.php

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 07:22 am
Wouldn't it be in the best interest of the sub-prime lenders to have the borrowers bailed out? It seems that having a home forclosed upon costs the lending institutions money and thus the issue that banks like UBS face. It would seem that Gramm wasn't doing a very good job of lobbying McCain.

Perhaps instead, being a conservative and all, McCain believes that people should learn to live within their means.

This is nothing more then leftist hype. Much like the rest of the "case" against McCain posted in this thread which so far almost entirely consists of "He's not Obama."
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 07:42 am
Of course you would say that McG since more than likely you are going to vote for McCain. It also stands to reason that most democrats are going to dig up stuff about McCain. McCain has given us stuff to dig up, now if this were 2000 we wouldn't have nearly as much as he was a much better person then, one I even considered voting for before Bush trashed him in the primaries. It seems to me, McCain learned the wrong lessons from getting beat then and decided if he can't beat em', join em'. You guys didn't even like him much until for some odd reason he remained the last one standing of republican candidates. I guess republican voters didn't want an extremist and thought McCain would appear more moderate. They just don't get that with McCain changing trying to woo the right he has lost his moderate appeal.

More leftist stuff to chew on just for you McG.
Quote:

Tonight, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) will hold a private fundraiser in Phoenix with President Bush, an event McCain has desperately tried to hide from the public. CNN's Ed Henry reports that the White House has scheduled another event during the trip to Arizona, resulting in American taxpayers paying for Bush to raise money for McCain:

BLITZER: Ed, who pays when the President goes to a fundraiser like this for John McCain? The McCain campaign or the American taxpayer?

HENRY: They both pay, Wolf. The bottom line is the President is trying to mix in a little official business today. He's going to speak at cable company…short remarks. That justifies for the White House charging the taxpayers for some of this trip, and the McCain camp picks up the rest, Wolf.

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/05/27/taxpayers-pay-for-mccain-bush-fundraiser/
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 07:52 am
on Sept 10, 2003 I wrote

McGentrix wrote:
Pdiddie nailed it on the head. I really wanted McCain to win the republican primary in the last election.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 07:57 am
McGentrix wrote:
on Sept 10, 2003 I wrote

McGentrix wrote:
Pdiddie nailed it on the head. I really wanted McCain to win the republican primary in the last election.

Well that is interesting, haven't been here in A2K long enough to know that.

So do you like the changes McCain has made which has made him a different candidate than in 2000?

(btw-I know past presidents have mixed fundraisers and official buisness together; just thought I would throw that in there for the heck of it.)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 28 May, 2008 09:37 am
McGentrix wrote:
Wouldn't it be in the best interest of the sub-prime lenders to have the borrowers bailed out? It seems that having a home forclosed upon costs the lending institutions money and thus the issue that banks like UBS face. It would seem that Gramm wasn't doing a very good job of lobbying McCain.

Perhaps instead, being a conservative and all, McCain believes that people should learn to live within their means.

This is nothing more then leftist hype. Much like the rest of the "case" against McCain posted in this thread which so far almost entirely consists of "He's not Obama."

Ah, no; what they want is for the huge number of people who are barely scraping by on their mortgages to keep paying.

Leftist Hype, my ass. McCain has every single lobbyist in Washington on his election team, it seems, while purporting to be an anti-lobbyist candidate. He's a liar and a hypocrite. And stuff like this is really going to hurt him in the Fall, because he has no defenses for it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies