Real Dilemma

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 09:36 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
No, we're not going to do that.

You have no power to decree what anyone is going to do.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Michigan didn't do anything honorable this cycle; they got greedy and shot themselves in the foot. And they deserved it.

That is total BS.

Michigan only reacted to New Hampshire being allowed to ignore the rules.

Your mischaracterization of what happened doesn't strengthen your case for small states first. It weakens it.

Your apparent acceptance of a double standard that lets New Hampshire ignore the rules also weakens your case.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 09:55 am
oralloy wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
No, we're not going to do that.

You have no power to decree what anyone is going to do.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Michigan didn't do anything honorable this cycle; they got greedy and shot themselves in the foot. And they deserved it.

That is total BS.

Michigan only reacted to New Hampshire being allowed to ignore the rules.

Your mischaracterization of what happened doesn't strengthen your case for small states first. It weakens it.

Your apparent acceptance of a double standard that lets New Hampshire ignore the rules also weakens your case.

Oh really?

Is that why Michigan has tried the same nonsense twice before? Because of what New Hampshire did this cycle?

Bull. Michigan, like FL, wanted money. And that's it. Carl Levin wants money and influence. And that's it.

I don't have to decree anything; I am merely describing the system which currently exists, and isn't going to change.

And no amount of childish puling by you will make it change.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 10:10 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Is that why Michigan has tried the same nonsense twice before? Because of what New Hampshire did this cycle?

Nope. Michigan tried it before because they wanted to challenge a corrupt system.

Michigan didn't do it in 2004 because the DNC promised reform.

That reform changed the rules to make New Hampshire go after the Nevada caucus.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Bull. Michigan, like FL, wanted money. And that's it. Carl Levin wants money and influence. And that's it.

Nope. Michigan only reacted to New Hampshire being allowed to ignore the reforms and move ahead of Nevada.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
I don't have to decree anything; I am merely describing the system which currently exists, and isn't going to change.

And no amount of childish puling by you will make it change.

The only thing childish is your insistence that the system isn't going to change.

It is going to change, and there is nothing you can do to stop change from coming.

You might be able to put forth a case that we should still have a system that puts small states first. But simply "stating that it is going to be that way" is a very bad way to try to make such a case.

And misconstruing the facts to cover up Michigan's unjust treatment only causes people to resist listening to any case you might present.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 10:17 am
I'm not going to discuss this with you any longer, because you aren't interested in facts at all. Michigan has a history of trying to game the system for their advantage. Your descriptions of the system as 'corrupt' are immaterial.

I rest comfortably, knowing that the system is currently supporting my position and that it won't change any time soon to your position. If I were the DNC, I would make sure Michigan and FL didn't get to go first for a long, long time, after the crap they pulled this year.

Have fun voting for McCain.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 10:29 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'm not going to discuss this with you any longer, because you aren't interested in facts at all. Michigan has a history of trying to game the system for their advantage. Your descriptions of the system as 'corrupt' are immaterial.

I rest comfortably, knowing that the system is currently supporting my position and that it won't change any time soon to your position. If I were the DNC, I would make sure Michigan and FL didn't get to go first for a long, long time, after the crap they pulled this year.

Cycloptichorn

Your hatred of democracy is duly noted.

Not just McCain -- straight ticket Republican.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 10:31 am
oralloy wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Great; you can lose at several levels, and not just the top.

Do you think that your threat/promise to vote Republican matters to anyone? Anywhere? Nobody gives a damn how you vote.

Now's the part where you project your identity on to thousands or millions of others, and predict doom for the Democrats based upon that. Good luck with that one.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 11:04 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Great; you can lose at several levels, and not just the top.

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched.

And my straight Republican ticket vote will be on the winning side in future years, even for those races where it is on the losing side this year.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Do you think that your threat/promise to vote Republican matters to anyone? Anywhere? Nobody gives a damn how you vote.

Wrong again. Candidates who want to win care about my vote.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Now's the part where you project your identity on to thousands or millions of others, and predict doom for the Democrats based upon that. Good luck with that one.

Like you project your hatred of democracy on everyone else? No thanks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 11:07 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
oralloy wrote:

oralloy doesn't need to do any projecting - it's what is being reported in any case

Dems split on whether party is divided, energized

Getting all Democrats to work together, to move forward, to get the vote out - it should be a priority for all Democrats. A split, when the polling of O v Mc is so tight, has potential to be problematic.

Hopefully, they'll find a way to sort out the party factions and prevent McCain winning because the Democrats can't get it together.

It'd be a real shame if the Democrats lost over squabbles like this.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 11:38 am
ehBeth wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
oralloy wrote:

oralloy doesn't need to do any projecting - it's what is being reported in any case

Um - I think what was being discussed here was alleged bitterness about the Michigan and Florida delegates issue, and whether this would make thousands or millions act like Oralloy.

Oralloy is saying he will henceforth vote straight ticket Republican because the DNC didnt seat the Michigan delegation in full. I dont think there's much evidence that there are a great many like him.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:12 pm
nimh wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Um - I think what was being discussed here was alleged bitterness about the Michigan and Florida delegates issue, and whether this would make thousands or millions act like Oralloy.

Oralloy is saying he will henceforth vote straight ticket Republican because the DNC didnt seat the Michigan delegation in full. I dont think there's much evidence that there are a great many like him.

Here is an article that points to at least some disgruntled Floridians:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/services/newspaper/printedition/local/sfl-flbdelegates0602pnjun03,0,6437522.story
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:17 pm
Given Oralloy's history of support for unfettered gun ownership, his history of uncritical support for Israeli government policy and a tendency to color his comments about the middle east with a conservative Israeli slant, and many other remarks he has made in these fora which suggest that he has been conservative all along--i doubt the sincerity of any claim on his part that these actions of the DNC rules committee have influenced his voting decision. I strongly suspect that he'd be voting straight Republican anyway, and has done so for years, no matter what he now protests.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:26 pm
Setanta wrote:
Given Oralloy's history of support for unfettered gun ownership, his history of uncritical support for Israeli government policy and a tendency to color his comments about the middle east with a conservative Israeli slant, and many other remarks he has made in these fora which suggest that he has been conservative all along--i doubt the sincerity of any claim on his part that these actions of the DNC rules committee have influenced his voting decision. I strongly suspect that he'd be voting straight Republican anyway, and has done so for years, no matter what he now protests.

Agreed

I have no idea why concern trolls think they are so slick, really

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:42 pm
Setanta wrote:

Nope. I've only voted a straight Republican ticket once in my life, so far. (And I've never missed a single election.)

I would definitely be voting for McCain this election regardless, given Obama's atrocious record on guns. But the straight Republican ticket thing is a reaction to the Democratic Party disenfranchising me in the primary.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:43 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I have no idea why concern trolls think they are so slick, really

Your hatred of democracy doesn't make me a troll.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:48 pm
You're absolutely right. It's your behavior that does.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:51 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You're absolutely right. It's your behavior that does.

Cycloptichorn

Laughing

Someone needs a timeout.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 03:11 pm
How do you explain someone like me who has been a democrat for 52 years. Ill bet that there are more people, than you realize, who are tired of holding their nose when they vote for president. Im sick to death of voting for the ones the bigshots of the democratic party tell me I have to vote for. I no longer will a follower be. If the democrats want my vote they are going to have to convince me they are going to really change Washington. And chanting change, change, isn't going to do it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 03:51 pm
rabel22 wrote:
How do you explain someone like me who has been a democrat for 52 years. Ill bet that there are more people, than you realize, who are tired of holding their nose when they vote for president. Im sick to death of voting for the ones the bigshots of the democratic party tell me I have to vote for. I no longer will a follower be. If the democrats want my vote they are going to have to convince me they are going to really change Washington. And chanting change, change, isn't going to do it.

I suppose you accept McCain as the change candidate then?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 04:16 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
rabel22 wrote:

I suppose you accept McCain as the change candidate then?

Why not?

McCain's record of reform and bi-partisanship far surpasses that of Obama. Is the ability to lead change predicated only on oratorical skills? If so then Obama's the change candidate hands down. If, however, want deeds as well as words...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 04:24 pm
Perhaps McCain was more of a reformer in the past, but he certainly is not at this time. On the two issues which matter most to Americans - Iraq and the Economy - he will change nothing.

A guy who voted with the president 95-100% of the time over the last few years isn't a maverick or a move away from the way things are currently being done. Just more of the McSame.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies