Dutch troops found guilty for Sarajevo slaughter

McTag

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 03:35 am
I saw something surprising in the paper yesterday: the Dutch Supreme Court has found the Dutch government guilty of failing to protect Bosnian muslim refugees in a UN "safe haven" in Sarajevo, which was manned by Dutch troops, 18 years ago. The Serbian Army took 11,00 men and boys out and shot them.

This must be a game-changer for future UN military recruitment, but I think it is a good development. This was a shameful and horrible dereliction of duty.
Kudos to the Dutch court for confronting to the issue and finding as it did.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/06/netherlands-compensation-srebrenica-massacre
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,816 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 03:49 am
I knew about the Srebrenica massacre, but i hadn't heard about this one. Do you have a link to an article?
McTag

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 03:51 am
@Setanta,
Article now linked above. I got my EDIT in just in time.

Alas, "confronting the issue" did not make it in time, instead of "confronting to the issue".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 01:38 pm
So this does in fact refer to the Srebrenica massacre, and not an event in Sarajevo. I think the verdict is unfair. The Dutch troops had no heavy weapons, they were not directly supported by other UN troops, and the rules of engagement did not allow them to fire on the Serbians unless and until the Serbians fired on them. The onus of this disaster lies with the UN command.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 02:43 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
So this does in fact refer to the Srebrenica massacre, and not an event in Sarajevo.

Actually, in two separate judgments the Supreme Court of the Netherlands upheld a 2011 decision by the The Hague Appeals court.
The court ruled that the state is responsible for the deaths of three Bosnian Muslims who were murdered shortly after being forced to leave a UN designated "safe area" controlled by the Dutch Battalion (Dutchbat), during the Srebrenica massacre.
Setanta wrote:
I think the verdict is unfair. The Dutch troops had no heavy weapons, they were not directly supported by other UN troops, and the rules of engagement did not allow them to fire on the Serbians unless and until the Serbians fired on them. The onus of this disaster lies with the UN command.

The court found that Dutchbat's conduct could be attributed to the state based on two sets of rules established by the UN International Law Commission. Further, the court found that Dutchbat acted wrongfully in turning away the refugees because it had jurisdiction to comply with the human rights enshrined in the European Convention on Human Rights and International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 02:55 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
the Dutch Supreme Court has found the Dutch government guilty of failing to protect Bosnian muslim refugees in a UN "safe haven" in Sarajevo, which was manned by Dutch troops, 18 years ago. The Serbian Army took 11,00 men and boys out and shot them.

The ruling in English translation

NB: the court's decision was: the court dismisses the appeal ...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 03:03 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Nevertheless, i don't agree with the judgment.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2013 03:31 pm
I bet Craig W Lowell or Sandy Felter would not have been as chickenshit as those Dutch guys. Or E Z Black. I am being serious, in case anybody is wondering. (The way I feel about the US Army has undergone a bit of a change since I discovered WEB Griffin).

0 Replies