Dagmaraka goes Dutch

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:45 am
@ossobuco,
we both survived, computer and i. dutch firemen are cute, but their firetrucks are teeny tiny.
dagmaraka

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:46 am
@dagmaraka,
Found an indonesian fast food place around the corner, it was very awesomely good (HOT!). they had a fresh young coconut juice, too. Hurrah.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 11:54 am
@dagmaraka,
I'd wondered if there wasn't one - in most Dutch places there's one any 300 meters (and any 150 meters, you get Hollandse nieuwe).

dagmaraka wrote:

dutch firemen are cute, but their firetrucks are teeny tiny.

That might be due to the rather small lanes ...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 02:31 pm
@dagmaraka,
It's nice to read your "Dutch diary" entries here, dagmar. In no time, you'll
be inmidst all these Dutch people and have lots of friends to hang out with
after work. How are your roommates so far?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 02:51 pm
It must be a huge relief to be getting along with your office-mates! We now need people pictures. Be brave.
dagmaraka

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:35 am
@littlek,
will do, it's one big whirlwind. We had a meeting all day today - strategic planning of sorts, but boss goes to bulgaria tomorrow, so i might have more time. there is, however, no a2k, no facebook during the day, just work work work...as it should be, i suppose. i'm learning.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:42 am
@dagmaraka,
Quote:
there is, however, no a2k, no facebook during the day, just work work work...
not even during lunch break?
ya know -- all work/no play...
mac11

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:53 am
@Region Philbis,
It would take more than all work & no play to make Dag a dull girl. In fact, I don't think it's possible.
dagmaraka

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:10 am
@Region Philbis,
We have lunches together, it's rather nice. We pool money, somebody goes out and buys stuff, we sit around and chat... Lunches here are light, mostly just a slice of bread with some cheese or hummus, some veggies...but yeah, the 'play' at work is communal, i wouldn't feel ok going online for everyone to see. nobody would say anything, but...it just ain't right.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 11:12 am
@Region Philbis,
In mnay, if not most, European offices the private use of the internet is a real 'no, no' - in Germany, you wouldn't be the first to be fired for such Wink
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 02:54 pm
I am IN my new apartment! Met my other new housemate, Lasse (from now on L.), a musician from Norway. Luckily it's just acoustic guitar, and he plays pretty folksy stuff, so hopefully no loud noise is forthcoming. He is singing in the shower right now Smile He seems nice, very laid back. The other guy, Sajeev (from now on S), Indian financial somethingorother, is more straight, very clean and organized... I think I'll actually be inbetween the two...It's a good thing that the laidback guy is a musician, as that will surely be a bond.. and the cleanliness and businesslikeness of the other guy will be a bond with him.... Might be a good balance between the three of us, certainly for me. Curious to see how the two of them get along.
Our garden is a kittycat highway, which I like a lot. There was a black cat, and a rusty/black/white striped tabby peaking in. We already invited them in, but they shied away.
My room rules, I have to say. It is dark green/blue (teaque?) with a white ex-fireplace, now just the outside frame. I have a nice bed, shelves, and lounge chair, just need to get a desk.... and wait for my pillows, comforters and linens to arrive. Thankgod I took my tribal Naga blanket with me, that's warm enough to get me through.
littlek

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 02:57 pm
@dagmaraka,
Wow, this sounds great! Congrats!
dagmaraka

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 03:13 pm
@littlek,
you're home early!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 05:23 pm
@dagmaraka,
That sounds all very promising, dag. Your roommates soon will introduce you
to their friends and before you know it, you're acquainted with half of Holland.
Isn't it nice to have lunch with your co-workers (we do that here too), it makes
for a nicer work environment.

Looks like you're assimilating fast and in a few months Boston will seem far
far away in your memories.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 05:50 pm
@mac11,
Hey, it's mac! Hi there!

Your room sounds fab, Dag... (pictures?)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 06:30 pm
@littlek,
I posted at nearly 5 pm! Not that early..... for a teacher.....
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:26 pm
@littlek,
Does anyone remember artunbound? I wonder if he and Dag will cross paths in the Dutch alternate theatre scene.

mac11

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 07:54 pm
@dagmaraka,
dark green/blue = teal? (it's my favorite color...)

Home sounds very homey. I'm still amazed at how fast it all came together.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 09:11 pm
@ehBeth,
I think I remember Art. He looked a little like an older nimh? He posted a picture of himself on a plane with someone famous?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 10:00 pm
@littlek,
Remembering Art very well - I've thaught nimh being being his the younger edition Wink .

The last times he posted here is already five years ago ...