Anyone an Erdogan fan here? Report insults, says Turkish Consolate

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 03:52 pm
I'm definitely not a fan, but I don't know Turkey extremely well, re all it's history, much less present alliances.

This, though, seems ridiculous:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/04/22/hear-someone-insult-erdogan-report-it-to-us-says-turkish-consulate-in-the-netherlands/

clip -

What should someone in the Netherlands do if someone says something "derogatory" or "defamatory" about President Recep Tayyip Erdogan? According to an email sent out by Ankara's consulate in Rotterdam, Turkish organizations in the country should write in to report the insult.

This email, uncovered by Dutch news organizations Thursday, has sparked anger in the Netherlands, with the Dutch prime minister demanding an explanation from Turkish authorities. To Turkey's critics, the message seems to show that Erdogan, long accused of cracking down on dissent domestically, was now abusing antiquated European laws in a bid to silence his international critics.

end/clip
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,099 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 08:20 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I'm definitely not a fan

Me neither but his shooting down of the Russian plane just entering from Syria has Russian trolls on the internet all atwitter.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2016 08:32 pm
@Blickers,
Keep talking, eh, Blickers.

I have opinions on this and that but in this case I don't know enough. I do have biases, but so what, I don't trust them either.

Blickers

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 10:41 pm
@ossobuco,
I wish I could be more helpful. Erdrogen is too close to fundamentalists in his own country for Washington to be really happy with him. But he really did show up the Russians shooting down that Russian jet, much as Washington wishes he hadn't.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 10:46 pm
@Blickers,
I don't remember the plane downed - see, I told you I can be dumb. I'm the type that reads a lot and forgets some of it.
Blickers

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2016 11:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Turkey shoots down Russian warplane on Syria border
24 November 2015

Turkish warplanes have shot down a Russian military aircraft on the border with Syria.

Russian President Vladimir Putin said the Su-24 was hit by air-to-air missiles fired by Turkish F-16s while it was flying over Syrian territory.

But Turkish military officials said the plane was engaged after being warned that it was violating Turkish airspace.

Mr Putin described the incident as a "stab in the back" committed by "accomplices of terrorists".

The crew ejected before the jet crashed in Latakia province, but Syrian rebels said at least one was dead.

It is the first time a Russian aircraft has crashed in Syria since Moscow launched air strikes against opponents of President Bashar al-Assad in late September.

The Nato military alliance, to which Turkey belongs, said it was following the situation "closely" and was in contact with the Turkish authorities. There will be an "informational meeting" of ambassadors in Brussels at 16:00 GMT.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34907983

PS: The US said the Russian plane did go over Turkish airspace. Russia yelled and hollered, but basically the Kremlin did nothing but make noise.
0 Replies