Dagmaraka goes Dutch

littlek

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 05:20 pm
Wow! They are getting a great employee and you are getting a great new place to live! Congrats!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 05:22 pm
One step closer to World Peace, I say.

Kudos, Dag.

RH
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 05:25 pm
I hope it doesn't take her too long to get here, I cleaned the kitchen!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 05:50 pm
on my way. had a meeting with the boss right away, straight from the airport. must sleeeeeeeeeeeep.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 07:44 pm
I pity the powers-that-be at the London Underground.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 08:47 pm
Dun gud, Dag!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 07:18 am
yeah, i guess i did. my new colleagues are fun young people and are very excited to have me. i love netherlands and am also intrigued by its challenges (especially 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants and challenges of teaching history, whose history, etc....). also, and this might be weird, i'm excited to be close to the ICTY (the tribunal for former yugoslavia) and being able to go see some of the proceedings.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 07:22 am
dagmaraka wrote:
yeah, i guess i did. my new colleagues are fun young people and are very excited to have me. i love netherlands and am also intrigued by its challenges (especially 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants and challenges of teaching history, whose history, etc....). also, and this might be weird, i'm excited to be close to the ICTY (the tribunal for former yugoslavia) and being able to go see some of the proceedings.

... plus, you're a lot closer to writing this book about your father. Although you're not in Slovakia, the Bratislava airport is -- how far away? An hour? 90 minutes? Definitely realistic for trips over the weekend.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 08:01 am
that, and i have friends strewn all over europe. will be fun traveling the old continent for awhile again...until my heels start itching again to travel further away.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 01:51 pm
.... a bit more than three hours by car from/to us, 4:26 h by train ...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 03:50 pm
I'm so happy to hear this, Dag! This sounds perfect for you!

We're very proud of you, you know. (((((HUGS)))))
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 04:12 pm
Embarrassed dankjeval Smile
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 08:42 pm
[size=7]I have no idea what that means, but you're welcome.[/size]
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 12:45 am
"Dankjewel" translates to something like "thank you kindly" and actually consists of the three words "dank", "je" and "wel"....

As you can see, you can also make a play on words: Thanks jewel! Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 02:50 am
Francis wrote:
"Dankjewel" translates to something like "thank you kindly" and actually consists of the three words "dank", "je" and "wel"....

As you can see, you can also make a play on words: Thanks jewel! Very Happy

"Dank U wel" would be more appropriate when talking to dignataries, older people or newly met people! Using that term shows you are being polite.

The term "Dank je wel" is used when talking to people you knows well or children.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 02:55 am
Sure, Dutchy, but I've a hunch that Dag knows Eva well enough to use the word, like you would say thanks to a friend.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 03:08 am
I do not know the connection between the two ladies concerned but yes if they're well known to one another your version is certainly correct Francis. I must admit I had not read the previous posts. Anyway dagmaraka now has two versions to play with. Smile
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 08:07 am
i'll start learning dutch when in the Hague. first i should dust off my french i suppose.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 08:16 am
Dag--

Is there any continent where you don't have scattering of friends?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 08:28 am
why of course, noddy. antarctic. i don't know a soul there.
0 Replies