Dagmaraka goes Dutch

Thomas

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 08:44 am
You really ought to visit the South Pole Station someday, preferrably around September 1, just before the Sun rises. Imagine: a hundred people squeezed together in tight quarters, with no sunlight for half a year -- I have a hunch they can use a good mediator.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 09:59 am
Thomas wrote:
You really ought to visit the South Pole Station someday, preferrably around September 1, just before the Sun rises. Imagine: a hundred people squeezed together in tight quarters, with no sunlight for half a year -- I have a hunch they can use a good mediator.

sounds quite a bit like rush hour within the bowels of Bahstin's South Station...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 11:02 am
Quote:
why of course, noddy. antarctic. i don't know a soul there.

Yet.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 07:00 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Thanks all.

I forgot to mention - the job starts at the end of August

When do you leave?

ermmmm that doesn't sound right

I'd been thinking of a NYC trip, but I'm not convinced summer in New York would work for my tomato head.

<continues to argue with self>

but I do want to see you again

<she's not going that far. They do have planes and trains and such>
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 10:37 pm
So now i know.

i leave on 30th or 31st of august. from new york,straight from a big armenian-azerbaijani workshop to which i have to bring all of my earthly posessions i can carry with me across the ocean after 8 years of living here. And 2 years on and off before that. Most of my adult life.

there's a person in line who's taking my room over.

there's a person in line who's taking my job over.

I'm moving to The Hague, yet I'm not excited anymore. I'm depressed, (what did I achieve in Boston?), outright sad and missing everything and everybody already. I don't know the Hague, but I know Amsterdam. It is exciting.... but is it me, really? I'm scared that I might be in the process of making a mistake that won't be easy to fix (visa and all). So help me God.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 10:44 pm
You are much smarter re your situation than me, for sure, so no useful comments except sympathy.

What can I say except extend your bases fast.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 10:53 pm
i'll try, i'll try.

what can i say... I think the relationship with E (the Monster) has marked me more than i have ever imagined. made me doubt why i'm here, what i've done with my life, who i am, who i am not, what am i running from.

all i know is that i am running. so i guess i need to run. and so run i will.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 10:55 pm
Laughs, extend your bases fast. What the hell did I mean?

I guess I meant don't wipe out lists of people you know. That has somewhat happened to me, which I'm mid fixing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 10:58 pm
Oh, no, I didn't mean to laugh re you and monster. Not at all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 11:05 pm
I don't know enough to be giving any advice even if I could, but I feel myself right there with you, Dag. So, skip my babble. Look into your options.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 11:27 pm
i get ya, osso. i know it's not the end of the world. i even know i chose this path for a reason.... i'm merely allowing myself to wallow in some nostalgy for a bit as i'm scared shitless about the move. it will be alright, if hard.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 12:09 am
The gentleness of all the gods (and goddesses) go with you.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 12:31 am
dagmaraka wrote:
i get ya, osso. i know it's not the end of the world. i even know i chose this path for a reason.... i'm merely allowing myself to wallow in some nostalgy for a bit as i'm scared shitless about the move. it will be alright, if hard.

Any language problems, get in touch, only to happy to assist.

Dutchy Smile
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 06:01 am
dagmaraka wrote:
I'm moving to The Hague, yet I'm not excited anymore. I'm depressed, (what did I achieve in Boston?), outright sad and missing everything and everybody already. I don't know the Hague, but I know Amsterdam. It is exciting.... but is it me, really? I'm scared that I might be in the process of making a mistake that won't be easy to fix (visa and all). So help me God.

Dasha, I don't know if this is any consolation; but six weeks before moving from Munich to New Jersey, I had fairly similar feelings. (Mine were more manic-depressive than depressive, but that's still the same family of feelings.) And the move turned out fine. Even though there are many things I do miss about Munich here, I'd come to America again.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 06:11 am
(Any movement on the A/C situation, Thomas?)

dagmaraka, this is all very familiar to me, too -- I cannot stand moving, though I've usually moved only within a country. I always, always cry pretty much the whole way out -- planes, trains, or automobiles -- but then there I am a few years later crying about leaving the place that I was crying on the way TO. If you follow.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 06:37 am
sozobe wrote:
(Any movement on the A/C situation, Thomas?)

Yes: I'm getting used to the heat. And my landlady has agreed to reduce the rent until the attic has a floor, the blower unit is reinstalled so you can access the blower, and the broken blower is replaced. No definite timeline when that'll be finished. If it gets really hot here, I may have to move to Canada.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 07:00 am
Thomas wrote:
If it gets really hot here, I may have to move to Canada.

Well, there's a thought! I haven't used the A/C yet. Do you have a ceiling fan Thomas? Any chance the landlady would spring for one?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 12:37 pm
Dasha, you and I both sort of ignore it until it's quite late. I haven't been thinking much about you leaving because it's upsetting to me. I guess I can't keep ignoring it. I always get sad, depressed, anxious a flurry of self-doubt when I make a major move. It always works out (though I still miss NM, I think I left too soon). It is good to have come back to my family. I think you'll find the same - even if they sometimes drive you crazy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2008 12:45 pm
Thomas wrote:
If it gets really hot here, I may have to move to Canada.

It's 30 degrees here today . . . which is well over 80 on the flibbergibbet scale . . .
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 06:02 pm
Thomas - I have a spare room - and it's quite nippy here, but skies are blue and crisp and lovely.

Popes, priests, pests and pilgrims leave on Monday or thereabouts - and we'll have our city to ourselves again!
0 Replies