Blond-ism

hingehead

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 04:43 pm
Hi Diane. She never made the distinction between genders, but in a male dominated society (slowly changing) I think your call is a fair one.

Do Swedes think blondes are dumb too?

And what about the poor gingers? Forever thought of as volatile.

Go brunette -5.5 billion chinese, indian, african, middle eastern, melanesian et cetera, can't be wrong.

That's a guess but I'd so it's at the lower end. The vast majority of us are dark haired - blondes and redheads are a tiny minority and peculiar to the 'western' (ie European) world. Could that be why they are singled out with stereotypes? Minorities so often are.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 04:49 pm
I've been switching from blonde to redhead fairly regularly over the past mmmmm 30 years (with a few brief runs at brunette, but my hair doesn't go brunette easily). There's a difference between the reaction to blonde, high blonde and any of the reds - from men and women.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 05:05 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I've been switching from blonde to redhead fairly regularly over the past mmmmm 30 years (with a few brief runs at brunette, but my hair doesn't go brunette easily). There's a difference between the reaction to blonde, high blonde and any of the reds - from men and women.

Of course. And thin people who go around in a fat suit for a day report the same thing, and those who can pass as the opposite sex and do that for a day report it as well. The package almost always matters, even though most everybody will insist that it does not matter to them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 05:16 pm
I went to Mexico a few times with girlfriends as well as a couple of times with a boyfriend, and a few times with a husband. Oh, and once by myself, driving. I gotta tell you, blondes suck up the air when you are walking with them, and cause strange kissing noises to burble forth. Except M did too, blessed or cursed as she was as a black haired latina with large boobs. And I was no dog... hah, have pictures, but I was brunette. Still am, but greyingly decrepitating, as is age appropriate. Well, otherness attracts and viva l'attracion, guessing at the word and possible spelling.

My first time in Mexico, to see El Cordobes at the TJ ring, was with two blondes and two latinas with black hair. Let me guess now, people probably called us many names. That was the time I was fixed up with a cousin, who was thirteen. (what? well, I needed to be accompanied.) That was the time I went into a night club, the Nicte Ha, and sat down on the floor instead of the booth. So dark. No, I had had nothing to drink, it was one of the first eye clues. As luck would have it, my eyes didn't get speedily worse, and that remains a funny story in my mind. Whatta crew. But now I can look back and wonder how that thirteen year old guy felt, distaste, fear, enjoyment at being adult?

That was also the time of the sausage hairdos, with ML forevermore known as Choriza.

Here's the question, do swedes, often but not always blonde/blond, crave people with dark hair, eyes, skin? Oh, never mind, I know the answer.
But further, are the innamorati considered 'dumb'?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 06:17 pm
Ah, the beautiful Swedes. I do remember hearing that they would sometimes dye their hair brown, just for some difference.That, of course, is second hand, not a survey of thousands of people.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 06:20 pm
Every Swede i ever met was a brunette. One of them, Magnus Eriksson, told me that blonds are only slightly more common among Swedes than among other people he has seen. That's hearsay evidence, of course.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 06:34 pm
Set, isn't it true that the pillaging Norsemen brought red hair with them and entered it into the Irish gene pool?

When dys and I and Roger met Urs and Big Dice in Denver, there were some Swedes. One I remember was so cute and blond and I loved it when she said that she had had a good workout in the yim. Made my day.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 06:55 pm
As i understood it, the Kelts were responsible for the trait of red hair, and in particular, i have read that many ethnologists believe it was particular to the Picts. Tacitus comments on the red hair and large limbs of the inhabitants of Caledonia (Scotland). The Romanized Greek historian, Dio Cassius, speaks of the Iceni "Queen" Boudica as having "a great mass of red hair." Whatever the origin, it has been shown to have been prominent in central Asia and eastern Europe in ancient times, which suggests that either the "proto-Kelts" had red hair, or that they intermarried with people in the central Asian highlands who had red hair. In the last ice age, a relatively large population lived not far from the edge of the glaciers in Eurasia (roughly, the central Asian highlands and eastern Europe), and red heads have an advantage in cold climates with low sunlight levels because of their very pale skin--they retain body heat more effectively, although the advantage over other "whites" is not great, but they also produce Vitamin D in significantly larger quantities, which would help prevent childhood rickets, a disease which weakens the bones, and can cause childhood skeletal deformity.

Whatever is true about the origin of red hair, it is today most prevelant in the western fringes of Europe, again pointing to a Keltic origin. In places outside western Europe in which it is common, there is usually a tradition of Keltic settlement--so the red-haired Turks are found in Galatia, a region settled more than two thousand years ago by Kelts (Gauls, to the Romans).

I don't think that red hair was that common among the Norse. Eric Raudi, Eric the Red, was so named because he had red hair, and it seems to have been sufficiently uncommon that people not only took note of it, but named him for it. His "real" name was Erik Thorvaldsson--but we only know that because of the Landnamabok of Iceland ("The book of settlement) is obsessed with geneological detail. He is otherwise universally referred to as Erik the Red. As i say, i suspect that this is because red hair was so uncommon among the Norse.

Blond hair, too, is relatively uncommon, and is also associated with especially pale skin, and as with red heads, that confers survival advantages in cold, northern climates. Red hair, however, is a recessive trait, and even may well not appear in all generations of families noted for red hair.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 07:06 pm
Diane wrote:
Ah, the beautiful Swedes. I do remember hearing that they would sometimes dye their hair brown, just for some difference.That, of course, is second hand, not a survey of thousands of people.

Not unlike our Asian students who do some amazing things to their hair to get away from 'straight and black'.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 07:11 pm
Diane wrote:
One I remember was so cute and blond and I loved it when she said that she had had a good workout in the yim. Made my day.

This reminds me of a funny incident with my friend Magnus Eriksson. His mother divorced when he was 12, and moved to California. So he was raised in southern California, and got his degree and his master's degree from UTEP. He spoke "faultless" American English. He always told me that Swedes, especially in Stockholm, speak American English, and learn to do so faultlessly from a young age. He said that they sometimes make fun of the folks from Upsala, who speak English with an accent.

One evening, he ran into three Swedes in the bar, two of them from Upsala. He was very excited, because he rarely had a chance to speak Swedish, and discuss the old home stomping grounds. They drank more and more beers, and became rather "lit up." At one point, he turned to the bartender, Jim, and shouted "Yimmy, Yimmy . . . bring more beers!"
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 07:14 pm
The 'faultless' accents are largely (so I'm told by germans and scandinavians) is that the nordic countries have subtitled dvds whereas the germans are usually more accented because they use overdubs.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 07:33 pm
I was blonde before I started going bald. For 39 years it was neither an advantage or a disadvantage. That changed when I went to Asia. They seem to adore blondes.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 08:48 pm
Wilso wrote:
I was blonde before I started going bald. For 39 years it was neither an advantage or a disadvantage. That changed when I went to Asia. They seem to adore blondes.

Confirmed. Mrs Hinge spent 3 years in Malaysia and people in the street found hard to resist touching her hair.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 11:35 pm
Setanta wrote:
Blonde refers to females, for males, you want blond.

The dog in the picture is a female, but not even remotely blonde.

I'd compare you to a blond, for the idiotic drivel you habitually post,
but that would be a gross insult to blonds.

By your rudeness u define yourself.
U have not been able to disprove
what I 've posted, so u r satisfied to hurl personal insults.

For u, that 's the best that u can do,
more 's the pity.

David
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 05:14 am
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Setanta wrote:

more 's the pity.

Get a goddamned mirror, hypocrite. You made a snotty remark about me based on my avatar picture of a dog (and apparently you think that the nose of an animal is a "snoot," as opposed to a snout). Specifically, you wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
U seem to be a blonde,
except for that long black snoot of yours.

Now you want to whine when you are served in the same fashion as you served me. So i did answer your post, and there was nothing to disprove. You're a typical close-minded conservative whiner, able to dish it out, but unable to take it.

Whiner.

Hypocrite.

Great braying jackass.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 05:17 am
hingehead wrote:
The 'faultless' accents are largely (so I'm told by germans and scandinavians) is that the nordic countries have subtitled dvds whereas the germans are usually more accented because they use overdubs.

Uhm . . . everything i described took place before DVDs existed--in fact, before compact discs existed, and when VCR tapes were a relatively new phenomenon. Magnus stated that the Swedes were avid for American motion pictures and television programs, and prided themselves on speaking the American language. He also made the comment that people from Upsala spoke English with a thick accent, but i suspect that was probably the product of some kind of civic rivalry between the people of Upsala and the people of Stockholm.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 07:01 am
http://www.signs-up.com/prod_images/Donkey_xing_thumb_640.jpg
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 01:41 am
Setanta wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Setanta wrote:

more 's the pity.

Get a goddamned mirror, hypocrite.
You made a snotty remark about me based on my avatar picture of a dog
(and apparently you think that the nose of an animal is a "snoot," as opposed to a snout).
Specifically, you wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
U seem to be a blonde,
except for that long black snoot of yours.

Now you want to whine when you are served in the same fashion as you served me.
So i did answer your post, and there was nothing to disprove.
You're a typical close-minded conservative whiner, able to dish it out, but unable to take it.

Whiner.

Hypocrite.

Great braying jackass.

C'mon, MORE insults.

U can DO it !

Show everyone how GOOD u r at it, Mr. Setanta.

C if u can have them make this an Olympic event:
the personal insult hurl !

GO FOR THE GOLD !

U have TALENT ! U r our GUY !
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 01:47 am
Re: Blond-ism
dyslexia wrote:

I have black hair ( graying, now ).
I wish that I had blond hair n blue eyes.
I love blue eyes.

If thay invent the genetic therapy for it, during my lifetime,
I 'll GET blond hair n blue eyes.
David
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 09:51 pm
Re: Blond-ism
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I have black hair ( graying, now ).
I wish that I had blond hair n blue eyes.
I love blue eyes.

If thay invent the genetic therapy for it, during my lifetime,
I 'll GET blond hair n blue eyes.
David

Why? I've had blonde hair and blue eyes all my life. It's meaningless. I don't know where people get this idea that it's some sort of advantage.
0 Replies