I like to be thorough... but I'll bring your favorite one too. :wink:

Laughing
Thank you! Thank you!

*meows
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:12 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
People act blond because it is fun and it is profitable. Guys eat it up and gals think that other gals acting blond is cute. When it stops working people will stop doing it.

And there you have as stupid a generalisation as the dumb blonde thing.

I can't speak for the men, but no woman I know thinks that "other gals acting blond (sic) is cute."

I think it's stupid and demeaning to woman and men.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:17 pm
dlowan wrote:

I look forward to your explanation as to why so many women play to the blond stereotype.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:20 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
dlowan wrote:

I look forward to your explanation as to why so many women play to the blond stereotype.

Anecdotal **** that I can answer with equal anecdotal "evidence".

I don't know any woman who plays to "the blonde stereotype".

Perhaps you know unusually dumb womemn, or I know unusually intelligent ones?

Perhaps you need to change your group?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:21 pm
Good Lord, He is provoking the Bunny...

(can't you read, Jack...)

RH

(How long you gonna use me for free advertising that you ain't quite right...)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:23 pm
BTW, if you read my post, you might have seen that I was criticising your sweeping generalisation...not asserting that there are NO women who play to that stereotype, or NO men stupid enough to like it, or no women stupid enough to support another woman playing it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:37 pm
dlowan wrote:
[Anecdotal **** that I can answer with equal anecdotal "evidence".

You can blow this subject off as make believe if you like, but it is not.

Quote:
What, then, accounts for the pervasiveness of dumb blonde jokes? The logic that governs decisions about investment in education and training suggests a possible answer. How intelligent you appear to others depends not only on your native mental abilities, but also on the extent to which you cultivate them through investment in education and training. In turn, the extent to which a person pursues such investments in "human capital" depends on how their returns compare with those for alternative investments.

If blondes are perceived as more attractive, then being blond may create valuable opportunities that do not require onerous investments in education and training. The dumb blonde stereotype may thus stem from the fact that blondes rationally choose to invest less than others in education and other forms of human capital.

This interpretation is consistent with research documenting a positive link between earnings and physical attractiveness. In a 1993 paper, for example, two economists, Daniel Hamermesh of the University of Texas and Jeff E. Biddle of Michigan State University, reported that people described as good-looking earned more than 10 percent more than those described as plain. The authors also found that plain women were more likely to marry men with limited education.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/07/business/07scene.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:46 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
dlowan wrote:
[Anecdotal **** that I can answer with equal anecdotal "evidence".

You can blow this subject off as make believe if you like, but it is not.

Quote:
What, then, accounts for the pervasiveness of dumb blonde jokes? The logic that governs decisions about investment in education and training suggests a possible answer. How intelligent you appear to others depends not only on your native mental abilities, but also on the extent to which you cultivate them through investment in education and training. In turn, the extent to which a person pursues such investments in “human capital” depends on how their returns compare with those for alternative investments.

If blondes are perceived as more attractive, then being blond may create valuable opportunities that do not require onerous investments in education and training. The dumb blonde stereotype may thus stem from the fact that blondes rationally choose to invest less than others in education and other forms of human capital.

This interpretation is consistent with research documenting a positive link between earnings and physical attractiveness. In a 1993 paper, for example, two economists, Daniel Hamermesh of the University of Texas and Jeff E. Biddle of Michigan State University, reported that people described as good-looking earned more than 10 percent more than those described as plain. The authors also found that plain women were more likely to marry men with limited education.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/07/business/07scene.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Once again, if you try reading, you wil see that I am not blowing the subject off as make believe, what I am blowing off is your sweeping generalisation about "gals" thinking playing dumbe blonde is a cute thing for other "gals" to do, and hence maintaining the whole thing.

Please TRY to respond to what someone is actually saying, rather than your fantasies about it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:54 pm
dlowan wrote:
[
Once again, if you try reading, you wil see that I am not blowing the subject off as make believe, what I am blowing off is your sweeping generalisation about "gals" thinking playing dumbe blonde is a cute thing for other "gals" to do, and hence maintaining the whole thing.

Please TRY to respond to what someone is actually saying, rather than your fantasies about it.

Considering that the subject on point is wholly and completely a generalization, your insistence that generalization should be avoided when discussing the subject strikes me as being a trifle naive.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:55 pm
The Bunny is not Naive...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:56 pm
Considering that the subject on point is wholly and completely a satire with overtones of sarcasm i find that any and all responses in be inane.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:57 pm
I think this is really pretty simply.

Naturally blonde men go bald very early in their lives. Assigning the label dumb to blonde women is their brinkmanship.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:58 pm
<doink>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 09:14 pm
JustBrooke wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:

when she was younger my wife ( a smart blond) felt the same way, but fighting constantly upstream gets exhausting. Now she plays the part when it will work to her advantage.

Yeah, I can understand that. And when you put it that way....I guess if society is gonna label us, we might as well get something out of it. I can't say that I haven't used "being female" to get out of tickets when I get pulled over for speeding. Works like a charm. :wink: All you have to do is smile and be nice. Cops are pretty easy.

You know, that sort of stuff is where I put an absolute limit.....or did when I was young and gorgeous enough to do it.

If you believe in equality, in my view you don't do that stuff.

I can well understand wanting to get something out of being labelled, but I do think that as long as women do that, then we are shooting ourselves in the foot.

This is not meant to be a criticism of you personally, but part of a debate about the meaning and effect of using essentially negative stereotypes (dumb and easy) in our lives.

That being said, I am finding myself thinking about a dear friend of mine who is uber-blonde.......natural platinum, with long hair, and the "blonde-effect".

If that is what is happening...

This woman is unusual looking...with a big nose (Polish Jewish daddy....who nearly died in Auschwitz), perfectly nice body, so pale she is nearly albino (no lashes unless she has mascara).......and (at 53) she still knocks men over as though they have been pole-axed......it's a source of great humour amongst her numerous women friends.

Now, is this the blonde-ness, or the fact that she is an extremely clever woman, highly successful and beloved in her work, with a delightfully kind and compassionate nature, great wit, wonderful knowledge of literature, art etc., a gloriously playful sense of humour, adores sex, (and men) dresses with great style, and, despite being very self-obsessed, is a person of great integrity and delight with a loyalty to those she cares about that is mother-lion like?

She has a number of what I assume to be blonde-stereotype characteristics........can't change a light-bulb, is blind but won't wear her glasses, (this makes one look delightfully ditzy), terrified of insects, can't cook......but this isn't affectation, this is HER.

But, did it become her because everyone adored her, and gave her a pass? And, if they did, was it because she is such a lovely person, or because she is a "blonde"? Or is it a Jewish Princess thing?

Almost all (except the nasty ones) of her exes are still close friends, and form a team to support and care for her ( I call it X and the travelling exes). They build stuff, are always there when she is distressed, guide and advise and love her.

We have discussed this "helpless" role....and her response is that she gives them at least as much as she gets.......emotional support, financial support when they need it, the usual quid pro quo of friendship, and I cannot argue, because she is, indeed, a great friend.

I wonder where this all fits in the blonde stereotype stuff?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 09:17 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
dlowan wrote:
[

Considering that the subject on point is wholly and completely a generalization, your insistence that generalization should be avoided when discussing the subject strikes me as being a trifle naive.

Yes, yes, but do respond to the meat of my posts.

Or not.

But if you don't, do feel free to acknowledge that you made a ridiculous generalisation.

Or not.

I am betting on not.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 09:21 pm
Skipping all posts after the start, to here, I'll say...

was it chicken or egg?

I've been in Mexico with a blonde friend. Watch the sucking of air to the outer universe. (Though, let me say, air deprivation and respect may differ.) I've been in Mexico with a latina friend, they call her pocho (pocha?), though she teaches spanish, but she has bounteous boobs. Indeed, I've been with them there together. And have photos. Too bad I never get my scanner going.

I think there may be complexities on all this. People zoned in on as beautiful may, just may, rest on their glory. This can smack them upside the head later.

I've a blond friend who was a model as a teen and a science book illustrator as an adult. She has probably never been dumb, in the usual colloquial sense. She did have expectations, from my view, based on various adoration when she was, say, nineteen, and has had a follow up sort of tough life. But, that's anecdotal. Hey, though, one more vote that blonds aren't just dumb.

I don't mean my friend rested on her glory, she was just her witty self. But she attracted flies.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 09:31 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Considering that the subject on point is wholly and completely a satire with overtones of sarcasm i find that any and all responses in be inane.

That's only because you're a goddamn redhead!!!!!!

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 09:33 pm
Oh, wait, on reading, I'm inane. Well, sure.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 09:45 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Oh, wait, on reading, I'm inane. Well, sure.

Huh?
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 10:34 pm
Deb.......I pretty much agree with all you are saying. I was just joking around but I guess maybe I need to go deeper into getting out of speeding tickets.

If I am out on road and I get pulled over, I know what gets me out of a ticket. Because it's the cops themselves that have taught me what works. But that being said....what works is just simply agreeing that I was speeding. Smiling and being nice. I don't feel like I'm flirting so much, because for the most part, I am treating that cop like I treat everyone.

And that's why said cops are easy. You really don't have to do ANYTHING other than be respectful and smile. I can tell you some stories about times I have gotten let go, where I really did nothing. Then I could drive a couple of miles down the road and they would have some guy pulled over.....writing him a ticket. Is this fair? Oh hell, no! But am I going to accept the gift of not having to pay that ticket. Oh hell, yes! I don't think cops being easy on me has anything to do with being blonde. And everything to do with being a female.

All of that being said........I do not, honestly think women that play blonde and use it to their advantage helps anyone. I don't find it funny, either. But they are going to do it, no matter what. I have no idea how to change it. And I am to the point, honestly, where I don't really worry so much about it. People are for the most part, mean anyhow. So I guess if they want to pick on me because I'm blonde.....that means they are leaving someone else alone.

I'm not sure I just made any sense at all! Laughing I am soooo tired. I gotta drag my arse to bed. I'll check back in tomorrow.

G'nite
0 Replies