Blond-ism

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 10:44 pm
I was quoting Dys, Dlowan, just about where I came into the thread. Not trouble in river city.

Unless.... oh, no.......
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 10:46 pm
Osso, are you here in River City, cuz ya dint say ya was comin'...

RH
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 10:49 pm
the rio grande won't do?

Searches for thread subject...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 02:59 pm
I remember the 40's and 50's when every woman was supposed to be a secret dumb blond.

Class presidents were always boys--because they needed the luster on their college applications.

Boys' parent saved money for tuition--girls' parents saved money for weddings.

Even in the '60's the encyclopedia salesman informed me that my husband could use the Britannica for professional research and I could...um...check on fashions and cooking.

I remember the outrage when women demanded to join Chambers of Commerce and J.C's and other service clubs. Men wanted the Men's Lodges intact and the wives of those men were sure that women wanted to join to seduce their husbands.

Women of the World, throw out your peroxide! You have nothing to lose but weak male egos.

(By the by the blond. brunette, redhead stereotypes go way, way back to the Fairy Stories and Folk Tales that existed well before the first orange tree or head of lettuce was planted in Hollywood.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 03:47 pm
You know I remember all that, Noddy. But don't worry your little head..
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 03:47 pm
Thanks, Noddy. Fairy tales.

Thought of this thread when having to deal with a very blond woman who , my god, plays it to the hilt.

She always has grated on my nerves ("Can you do you this for me?" bat of eyelashes, giggle, flip hair) .

That's not because she's blond, hell, this woman isn't even exceptionally pretty.

It's the "raised as a princess, manipulate to get by, play up the helpless role" that truly pisses me off.

Deb's words were much better than mine! We know it when we see it, and let me tell you - I work real hard to make sure any woman working with me, for me, or any young girl around me does NOT get rewarded for that behavior.

Or as my aunt nicely summed it up when my young cousin tried continuing behavior like that as a pre-teen after getting rewarded by a slimy guy at a story for being "a blond girl" ....

"That isn't cute. I don't ever want to see you pretending to be stupider than you are again."

Smile Amen to that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 04:15 pm
Filing that one away for future use -- hope I won't need it.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 04:36 pm
A cute blond changing her own oil and changing her own tires? Now THAT'S dumb.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 05:09 pm
And that's why I love you, JLN. It's all inane, isn't it?

These days, the dumb blondes seem to have gotten a lot smarter. Brooke is a good example.

When I was young, cops would let me go. As I got older, I think they took pity on the obvioulsy harried housewife, now that I'm 65 it's a toss up. Maybe if they love their grannies, I've got it made. If they can't stand old granny, I've got the ticket.

Blonde maybe had something to do with it, but I suspect any pretty girl would be treated that way by The Man In Authority. Enjoy it while you've got it, you young chicks.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 10:33 am
Re: Blond-ism
dyslexia wrote:

Does eye color relate to the subject phenomenon ?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 11:46 am
I think some blondes act "blonde" because when in Rome...or rather, when in a social situation where people expect it, a lot of people cave and just act the way they are "suppose to act".

It's not just with blondes. It's with anything. Some times you can avoid it if you are with good friends but even then, I think everyone to some degree acts a certain way around certain people.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 03:44 pm
And I think Bella Dea just hit the nail right on the head.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 03:47 pm
So this guy goes into a bar, and he finds the bartender, the owner, a bouncer and three or four friends. He orders a drink and strikes up a conversation with the bouncer, and it comes to the point at which they are telling jokes. The stranger starts a joke: "So, there was this blonde . . . "--when the bouncer interrupts him.

"Say, buddy, wait a minute--i'm blond, the owner here is blond, the bartender is blond, and our friends here are all blond. Are you sure you want to tell that joke?"

"Yeah, you've got a point . . . i wouldn't want to have to explain it six or seven times."
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 04:06 pm
U seem to be a blonde,
except for that long black snoot of yours.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 04:08 pm
Blonde refers to females, for males, you want blond.

The dog in the picture is a female, but not even remotely blonde.

I'd compare you to a blond, for the idiotic drivel you habitually post, but that would be a gross insult to blonds.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 04:14 pm
I knew a lady once who would change her hair colour occasionally.

She was absolutely convinced that she was treated differently depending on what hair colour she had. They thought she was dumb when she was blonde, a bitch when red. Brunette had the the most normal reactions.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 04:19 pm
I have small hands and inevitably have trouble both removing and replacing the gas cap on the car.

When pressed, I can look terribly helpless--and both men and women are helpful.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 04:23 pm
Noddy out for a drive . . .

http://www.emmitsburg.net/humor/pictures/2002/woma_driver2.jpg
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 04:33 pm
Hingehead, I too, have know a couple of women who dyed their hair blonde. They both noticed a considerable difference in how they were treated by, mostly, men.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 04:42 pm
Setanta--

I make sure that the hose blocks my access to the driver's seat. Clever fools can outwit themselves.
0 Replies