Am I wrong?

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 10:01 am
okie wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
okie wrote:
Perhaps correct, BBB.

To repeat what I added in my above post when you posted, I think dys's thread here points up one thing, if you are looking for something, you will find it, and that includes failure and unhappiness. Self fulfilling prophecy, and thats what I think alot of people's problems are in regard to race and a whole host of other things. To wallow around in this is not productive, and my recommendation is to forget it for a while and the problem would subside. Thats why I said what I did about obsessing over it, and that is what alot of this is.

As I said in an earlier post, I think racism and tribalism have a lot in common. Some people are more evolved from tribalism than others.

BBB

Woe! Chew on that for a while, dys. In fact, that should arouse the interest of alot of people.

Ironic, that you don't realize she's talking about you! Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 10:05 am
We have the Five Civilized tribes in Oklahoma, cyclops, but that is about as close to any tribes that I align with.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 10:07 am
okie
okie wrote:
We have the Five Civilized tribes in Oklahoma, cyclops, but that is about as close to any tribes that I align with.

Okie, you are going to have to try harder to get it.

Tribalism is not limited to actual tribes, certainly not in today's world and urban societies.

BBB
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 10:09 am
I know what you and other libs are talking about, virtually before you say it. Don't worry. I was being sarcastic of your statement about tribalism.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 10:16 am
BBB
http://sociologyindex.com/tribalism.htm

This is a provocative piece on tribalism and racism, which also include nationalism, a larger form of tribalism and often racism.

BBB
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 10:37 am
So are you going to eliminate nations, BBB? How funny. Then we have worldism, another form of tribalism. I knew where you were going with it, but if you want to see tribalism, look at your own party right now.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 10:54 am
okie wrote:
if you want to see tribalism, look at your own party right now.

The irony.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 10:56 am
okie
okie wrote:
So are you going to eliminate nations, BBB? How funny. Then we have worldism, another form of tribalism. I knew where you were going with it, but if you want to see tribalism, look at your own party right now.

How many tries does it take for you to get it?

BBB
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 10:56 am
old europe wrote:
okie wrote:

The irony.

Right?

There is no more insular and tribalistic group in America, then the white male power structure known as the Republican party.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 11:14 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
old europe wrote:
okie wrote:

The irony.

Right?

There is no more insular and tribalistic group in America, then the white male power structure known as the Republican party.

Cycloptichorn

Been to services at TUCC lately?

Quote:
We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian... Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.

from http://www.tucc.org/about.htm

I was going to also ask if you've read any James Cone lately:

James Cone wrote:
Black theology refuses to accept a God who is not identified totally with the goals of the black community. If God is not for us and against white people, then he is a murderer, and we had better kill him. The task of black theology is to kill Gods who do not belong to the black community. . . . Black theology will accept only the love of God which participates in the destruction of the white enemy. What we need is the divine love as expressed in Black Power, which is the power of black people to destroy their oppressors here and now by any means at their disposal. Unless God is participating in this holy activity, we must reject his love

But I found that this quote, which I referenced in the Obama '08 thread a few days ago , has now been scrubbed from the Wikipedia article on James Hal Cone.

I wonder which one of the tribe did that?

At least this jewel of tribalism is still there:

James Cone wrote:
The black theologian must reject any conception of God which stifles black self-determination by picturing God as a God of all peoples

This is the same James Cone who Obama's pastor of 20 years cites as foundational in establishing his church's (TUCC's) vision statement, including a 'Black Values System'.

But it's all good for Obama.

'Present' Obama assures us that, even though he spent 20 years in that church and Wright is his 'close friend, mentor and advisor' that he had NO idea what Wright preached publicly from the pulpit, until just a week or so ago.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 02:19 pm
okie wrote:

To repeat what I added in my above post when you posted, I think dys's thread here points up one thing, if you are looking for something, you will find it, and that includes failure and unhappiness. Self fulfilling prophecy, and thats what I think alot of people's problems are in regard to race and a whole host of other things. To wallow around in this is not productive, and my recommendation is to forget it for a while and the problem would subside. Thats why I said what I did about obsessing over it, and that is what alot of this is.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 03:11 pm
Okie's recommendation about racial strife is "forget it for awhile, and the problem will subside".

Dang. (slapping forehead with heel of palm) So simple.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 03:34 pm
If you could stop being a medium brown color for a few years, Snood, i think you'd find most of your problems would just go away. A million Okies can't be wrong . . .
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 03:42 pm
Setanta wrote:
If you could stop being a medium brown color for a few years, Snood, . . .

Snood is a medium?

Who knew! Cool
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 03:47 pm
Dwight D Eisenhower had once said
"politics should be the part-time profession of every citizen".
Yes and all the citizens around the globe should take this sane advice and should not allow the criminals, scoundrels to engage in politics as full time looting job.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 04:23 pm
Francis wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Snood is a medium?

Who knew! Cool

He's in direct contact with the ethereal matrix, Boss . . .
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 04:55 pm
snood wrote:
Okie's recommendation about racial strife is "forget it for awhile, and the problem will subside".

Dang. (slapping forehead with heel of palm) So simple.

My point is extremely valid. Alot of times, the simplest solutions work better. Have you heard of self fulfilling prophecy, snood? I think if people would quit obsessing over it, the problem would subside. Keep picking at a sore, and it won't heal. You know as well as I that if anyone is looking for a fight, they will find one.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 05:00 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
Dwight D Eisenhower had once said
"politics should be the part-time profession of every citizen".
Yes and all the citizens around the globe should take this sane advice and should not allow the criminals, scoundrels to engage in politics as full time looting job.

Perhaps almost the first time I ever agreed with you, Ramafuchs.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 05:06 pm
Okie
let us elevate this forum with comments, critical observations, and let us learn from others who pour forth their views.
Respects
Rama
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 05:08 pm
Francis wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Snood is a medium?

Who knew! Cool

I see myself as transcending color, and long for the day when all men would follow my example...

(sorry, just hadda say that right out, just once Very Happy )
0 Replies