Obama Exposed As Black

nimh

Mon 19 May, 2008 06:21 am
snood wrote:
okie wrote:
One example, does anyone know what Obama's stance is on the very fringe idea, an idea that is very racially charged, reparations for slave descendents? As he does on multiple issues, he dodges giving a straight answer, which I think is playing the race card big time.

It is utter bullshyt to try to characterize Obama as someone who dodges issues. When have you ever heard him asked about slave reparations, "for example"?

Right. It's not like he's been asked time and again, and dodged the question.

Only time I think the issue ever came up in this campaign was in the CNN/YouTube debate. The moderator, Anderson Cooper, asked for a show of hands on the question "Is anyone on the stage for reparations for slavery for African-Americans?" Only Dennis Kucinich was in favour.

The issue did come up in his Senate race against Alan Keyes. Keyes is in favour of reparations, and in a debate suggested that black Americans could be exempted from paying taxes for two generations. Obama brushed off the suggestion, instead saying that "the legacy of slavery is immeasurable, but the best strategies for moving forward would be vigorously enforcing our anti-discrimination laws in education and job training."
0 Replies

okie

Mon 19 May, 2008 09:17 am
nimh wrote:
Okie, for once I will defer to Finn when it comes to your claim that Obama "has played the race card". I think you're wrong, and I think he explains well why in these parts of his post:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I suppose that one could make the argument that by offering himself as the racially transcendent candidate he is, in effect, capitalizing on the issue of race, but I think that would be unfair.

Obama, although born of a white mother and a black father, is considered by virtually everyone in America, including himself, as black. Why this is the case can be the subject of another thread, but it, undeniably, is. [..] If he never discussed his race he would still be considered black, by both his supporters and his detractors. [..]

[S]ince Obama is almost forced to identify himself as black by a world that seems instinctively compelled to label individuals (with skin color being a primary label), I think its unfair to accuse him of "playing a race card."

I really can't think of examples where he has tried to accuse his opponents or critics of being racist and never as a smoke screen to escape accountability for an error or misstatement. This is what I would call using the race card, not pointing out that his mixed heritage make him uniquely qualified to lead both whites and blacks.

You're right though that he is not race neutral, but then I don't know how he could be.

(Also, are you being sarcastic when you're using Bill Clinton as example to make the "even he says Obama plays the race card" point? Wouldnt Bill be, like, the very first person to make that claim on the Democratic side? Bill claiming that his wife's mortal opponent played the race card proves what, exactly?)

I find it interesting it is the same set of people, not exactly the same, but pretty much the same set of people that defended the Clintons for 8 years, that now are abandoning them and essentially saying they have no credibility, and why would anyone believe a Clinton. Now that the allegiance has been switched to Obama, it is merely a different horse to ride to victory. The same set of people will now defend Obama, regardless of the facts surrounding an issue.

In my opinion, the Clintons never had any credibility. Not in the 90s, and not now. They were never any different than they are now. Now, Obama strikes me as a little more honest than the Clintons, but still a Democrat politician first class that will use and is using the same tactics as the Clintons. The race card is part of the hand to be played. I hope he doesn't resort to accusing Republicans of burning black churches and chain dragging people to death, as those would be pretty difficult to surpass in terms of low blows, but we will just have to wait and see. I think Obama has a little more class than that even though some of his friends and mentors don't.

For me to think that he is going to not play the race card, he needs to totally repudiate his pastor and disassociate himself from the church that espouses black liberation theology in totality, which I think is racial poison. Then I might actually take a look at the possibility that he isn't trying to capitalize on race.
0 Replies

okie

Mon 19 May, 2008 09:25 am
In regard to the reparations issue, it is not so much what Obama says, but what he doesn't say and who he hangs out with, and it is reported that John Conyers is salivating at an Obama presidency in regard to his slave reparation legislation he always brings up.

The thing about Obama is he doesn't have clear positions on all kinds of things, including reparations. He seems to oppose it in the past, but leaves the door open, and many of his supporters favor such things. That included his whacko pastor, which I think Obama agrees with on alot of things, after all he named his book after something the man said.

http://www.rightsidenews.com/20080325583/editorial/does-obama-favor-slavery-reparations.html
0 Replies

rabel22

Mon 19 May, 2008 12:58 pm
The race card wasent played overtly but was played convertly. The proof is in how many times the word race shows in the Obamites postings. Many times brought up by people who dont like him but many times the race subject was brought up by the Obamites in an attempt to make someone elses post seem not worthwile.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Mon 19 May, 2008 01:10 pm
Laughing You guys must remember with longing, better times when the Democratic guy had something actually wrong with him you could attack.

"it is not so much what Obama says, but what he doesn't say"... Laughing

Obama was "covertly" being a black guy the whole time... Shocked

Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Mon 19 May, 2008 01:12 pm
Are we all 100% sure it isn't a spray on tan?
0 Replies

kickycan

Mon 19 May, 2008 01:16 pm
No, but we are definitely 100% sure that anything okie or you have to say on the topic is going to be moronic.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Mon 19 May, 2008 01:20 pm
Hey Kicky...

http://www.thebmrant.com/images/bushmiddlefinger.jpg
0 Replies

nimh

Mon 19 May, 2008 02:19 pm
okie wrote:
nimh wrote:
(Also, are you being sarcastic when you're using Bill Clinton as example to make the "even he says Obama plays the race card" point? Wouldnt Bill be, like, the very first person to make that claim on the Democratic side? Bill claiming that his wife's mortal opponent played the race card proves what, exactly?)

I find it interesting it is the same set of people, not exactly the same, but pretty much the same set of people that defended the Clintons for 8 years, that now are abandoning them and essentially saying they have no credibility, and why would anyone believe a Clinton.

Oh fer crying out, Okie. You know that's not what I'm saying. I'm not saying, "why would anyone believe a Clinton".

I'm saying, Bill Clinton is the stridently passionate husband and co-campaigner of Barack Obama's main rival and competitor. So if there is anything remotely bad that can be said about Barack, you will first hear it from Clinton. Just cause they're battling each other right now.

Hence why it doesnt make any sense to say, like you did, 'hey, even Bill Clinton said Obama played the race card.' Well, duh. He'd be the first person to say so - his wife's presidential run depended on discrediting the guy. So what in heaven's name is that supposed to show?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Mon 19 May, 2008 02:32 pm
This is all part of the "What ever it takes to get "talk-radio"conservative Republicans pissed off enough about liberals that they'll be willing to vote for McCain" campaign."

I'm surprised Okie has fallen for it so easily. I thought he was more of an independent thinker and not such a kool-aid drinker.

Quote:
0 Replies

nimh

Mon 19 May, 2008 03:01 pm
okie wrote:
In regard to the reparations issue, it is not so much what Obama says, but what he doesn't say and who he hangs out with

Ok this is fever swamp stuff. It's akin to admitting that there is nothing concrete or specific you have to go on here, just amorphous fear & suspicion.

okie wrote:
, and it is reported that John Conyers is salivating at an Obama presidency in regard to his slave reparation legislation he always brings up.

Really? "It is reported", huh? It's also reported that the government has long hidden evidence of UFOs...

Meanwhile, did Obama ever actually show any indication that he would support Conyers' legislation? He's been in the Senate a coupla years, he would have had the chance..

But I'm forgetting, I guess - it's not anything Obama has actually said or done concretely. It's that whole thing about how he is secretly a radical and is just waiting for the morning he wakes up in the White House to repudiate his entire career and writing so far and reveal himself as a black, Marxist radical. After all, he talks a lot about "change", how suspect can you get?

Sorry Okie, I know I'm being rude. Consider it exasperation. When the guy you like keeps being accused of harboring all kinds of evil plans and inclinations on the basis of nothing but hot air -- some guilt by association, some reading in between the lines, some generic suspicion against that kind of person thrown in -- it gets a little grating.
0 Replies

okie

Mon 19 May, 2008 03:23 pm
You find it grating, well, the feeling is mutual. I am supposed to jump to it here, and be in lockstep with all the other Obama worshipers and jump on his bandwagon. Sorry, I am not that naive, and I think Obama owes the people more explanations about more than a few things, starting with hanging around people that despise the country that I happen to love. Look, I know too many people that have shed blood for this country to hand it over to a greenhorn that has the ability to draw a crowd, but what else - who really knows? He wrote a book, which I read, and I still think the title is more than ridiculous. We have people breaking the door down to get to this country and he suggests the whole country needs changing, thats all he has talked about since Day 1. Sorry, the guy is an insult as far as I am concerned.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Mon 19 May, 2008 05:14 pm
okie wrote:
Sorry, I am not that naive
I haven't seen anyone suggest you are naive okie, mostly what I have seen suggested is that you are quite ordinarily stupid, there is a difference.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Mon 19 May, 2008 06:03 pm
okie wrote:
In regard to the reparations issue, it is not so much what Obama says, but what he doesn't say and who he hangs out with
Laughing For real? That's what you're going with now? Laughing

What about what he doesn't say about eating babies? Shocked
What about what he doesn't say about burning witches? Shocked
What about what he doesn't say about cancer?

Is Barack Hussein Obama for cancer, witch burning, and baby eating… or against it?

Barack Hussein Obama... he's for cancer, witch burning and baby eating. Shocked

This message is approved by morons everywhere.
0 Replies

dlowan

Mon 19 May, 2008 06:08 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
okie wrote:

Is Barack Hussein Obama for cancer, witch burning, and baby eating… or against it?

It's sary when you talk sense. :wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Mon 19 May, 2008 08:12 pm
okie wrote:
You find it grating, well, the feeling is mutual. I am supposed to jump to it here, and be in lockstep with all the other Obama worshipers and jump on his bandwagon.

What?

Eh, no. (Seriously Okie, what kind of giant straw man is that?)

No, it's not about having to agree with the guy. Of course you dont agree with him. He's a liberal. A pragmatic one, but still, quite clearly on the liberal/progressive side of center. You're very distinctly on the conservative side of the ledger. So of course there's going to be any hundred concrete issues that everyone knows what Obama thinks, he has said it, he has acted accordingly, and it's something that a conservative like you would really, really not like. For random example, suspending some of Bush's temporary tax cuts.

But that's something else from saying that Obama is or might very well be some closet radical black Marxist, who might well be very likely to demand reparations for slavery once he's in office, for example, on the basis of ... nothing but generic suspicion and guilt by association. Based on how "it is reported," God knows where, that he might very well be eager to jump the same Conyers bandwagon that so far he's not actually shown any concrete sign of agreeing with.

It's something else from endlessly hypothesising about all the extremist stuff Obama might very well really believe in and just be purposefully hiding from us all, with nothing to feed that case but speculation, gossip and the kind of interpretation that makes the fact that he says "change" a lot mean that he's probably a closet commie.

That's the fever swamp stuff I'm referring to. And no, the alternative to that does not need to be "jumping in lockstep with all the other Obama worshipers". You're a conservative, of course you're not going to agree with him. The alternative is to express the many disagreements you have that are based on the actual concrete actions and opinions of Obama's as expressed in his words, his actions, his track record, his proposals.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 19 May, 2008 08:28 pm
okie wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Many of his supporters want to vote for a black person for president. I don't think this is the main reason most of them will vote for him, but it's a nice side benefit for them. You vote for someone with whom you agree and whom you admire and you also get to vote for a black man and prove you are not a racist. Interestingly enough, I think he would lose support from some of these voters if he laid claim to being white, not because they don't want to vote for a white person or only want to vote for a black person but because, as I've already indicated, I believe his laying claim to being white would somehow be seen as running away from his black heritage. There is something sad about this, and since Obama is almost forced to identify himself as black by a world that seems instinctively compelled to label individuals (with skin color being a primary label), I think its unfair to accuse him of "playing a race card."

Excellent summation of what is going on here, in terms of the dynamics of his support. Maybe it is somewhat unfair for my accusation, however I would tend more to agree with you if he had not gone to great lengths to pander to and associate with people and ideas at the Jeremiah Wright end of the spectrum.

I agree that his association with Rev Wright is demonstrative of the practice of cynical Old Politics which he claims to reject, but I don't know that I would characterize the association as somehow "playing the race card."

The point, I think, is that one can oppose Sen Obama's bid for the presidency without alleging he is capitalizing on racial issues. This is not to say that such an allegation is always unnecessary or illegitimate as respects black candidates for president. The fact of the matter is that based on past history the allegation has been, heretofore, pretty accurate. This time around I just don't think it is.

Interestingly, Obama seems to want to do the same thing with all kinds of issues. Take the terrorist problem, rather than totally repudiating that end of the spectrum, there seems to be a projection of the idea that he wants to entertain their greviences, talk to them, understand them, and thus bring everyone to some kind of common ground.

Understandable, and this is a generally liberal way of thinking that I find objectionable as well, but it really has nothing to do with his racial identity, unless you are prepared to draw an analogy between terrorists and civil rights activists. I don't believe you do.

I guess his approach just rubs me the wrong way. I prefer someone that will take a stand on something, and oppose viewpoints that are wrong rather than entertaining them and using them. And that includes the race card.

He rubs me the wrong way too, but, again, I don't agree that he is entertaining or using racial identity politics. It is, actually, unreasonable to expect him to make some sort of declaration that he will not consider, as relevant, any argument that is centered on race. We can agree that race is too often used as a politically correct trump card, but that doesn't mean issues related to it have no significance whatsoever.

One example, does anyone know what Obama's stance is on the very fringe idea, an idea that is very racially charged, reparations for slave descendents? As he does on multiple issues, he dodges giving a straight answer, which I think is playing the race card big time.

I don't recall that he has ever been asked to comment on reparations but that, clearly, doesn't mean he hasn't. If he has been asked to comment on the issue and has been all over the map with his response, then I agree that he is dodging it, and probably because he doesn't want to alienate any of his constituencies, but I don't see how this is "playing the race card."

Such is typical of Obama, it is tough to pin the guy down to anything. This is his political strategy, and so far it seems to be working fairly well. Be all things to all people, and if one thing is the race card, he will use it. Why not, as you say it is pretty much thrown in his lap, but he makes not much effort to distance himself from it either if it gets him votes.

Perhaps it is is simply semantics, but "playing the race card," is, to me, an aggressive tactic. What you are describing is a politician who sits back and allows people to draw whatever conclusions they most desire. This is not somethin I want to see in a president, but it is not a candidate who is attempting to gain advantage by underscoring racial divides.

There are plenty of rational reasons to oppose an Obama candidacy without bringing race into the equation. I honestly do not believe he is playing a race card, but we should remain aware that if his opponents suggest, without clear evidence, that he is, it plays into the hands of his supporters who are all too willing to play the race card to suggest that those who will not vote for Obama come to this decision through reasons of race.

0 Replies

okie

Mon 19 May, 2008 09:21 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
okie wrote:

Bill, now there is an intelligent post! Laughing

I stand by my reasoning, which is well founded, Bill. Associations do mean things, and what somebody doesn't say alot of times does mean alot. With Obama, we don't have alot to go on. I read his book, and I found that what he didn't say in his book told me something as well as what he attempted to say,.
0 Replies

okie

Mon 19 May, 2008 09:42 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Perhaps it is is simply semantics, but "playing the race card," is, to me, an aggressive tactic. What you are describing is a politician who sits back and allows people to draw whatever conclusions they most desire. This is not somethin I want to see in a president, but it is not a candidate who is attempting to gain advantage by underscoring racial divides.

There are plenty of rational reasons to oppose an Obama candidacy without bringing race into the equation. I honestly do not believe he is playing a race card, but we should remain aware that if his opponents suggest, without clear evidence, that he is, it plays into the hands of his supporters who are all too willing to play the race card to suggest that those who will not vote for Obama come to this decision through reasons of race.

I shortened your answer in the interest of brevity, but thanks for an honest and decent rebuttal. I guess I can agree to a point, but the race card accusation is made based more upon his actions and associations than what he says. Until he renounces some of the associations he has, I will stick to what I have said.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Mon 19 May, 2008 10:01 pm
nimh wrote:
Sorry Okie, I know I'm being rude. Consider it exasperation. When the guy you like keeps being accused of harboring all kinds of evil plans and inclinations on the basis of nothing but hot air -- some guilt by association, some reading in between the lines, some generic suspicion against that kind of person thrown in -- it gets a little grating.

Laughing

Yeah ... I know what you mean.
0 Replies