Nineteen Year Old Son Plans to Join Army

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:23 am
I guess he's got some mulling to do.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:30 am
We haven't heard from him since last Monday. He sent a reasonably good report then, but I'd sure like another. Smile I wonder what he's thinking.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:31 am
lol, basic ABN is pretty easy if your already in good shape, it's AIT that's the test. tell him if he's going to do this and wants to show he's got some real balls take HALO as well/instead. If he does come for ABN (all ABN basic is ft benning Smile) tell me when it is and i shall be there to teach the class lol
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:29 pm
ABN, AIT HALO... ARGGGH

Oh dear... I'm not good with all those abbreviations. I can tell you he was working really hard at getting into good shape while he was still home -- using his weights, running every day, had lost some weight.

Please remind me about reminding you when/if he goes in, OK? (You will be nice to him, right?)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:48 pm
"Girls find him charming, animals love him, his band teacher said he was at the top of the food chain in popularity. The party didn't really start until he arrived, but he still kept this James Bond persona of cool. As a toddler he'd call all ants his pets... they were all named Frankie. It was completely endearing. But now this. What's a mum to do? He's very idealistic and definitely sees this as a higher calling than most despite (maybe because) he's been told how horrible it can be, how mind-numbing, how dangerous. He was very scornful of his new roommate in London who said he'd rather serve burgers at McDonalds then join up."

A sensitive lad with a vision....if he meets up with safecracker, let's hope he doesn't get treated nice. I have the same kind of disposition, but the army was never an option for me. I am still a bit confused about his decision to do this, and I wonder how long he will last. It will, at the very least be an incredible test for him, but from the sounds of it, he should be writing poetry, not joining the military! Byron and what not...the poet-soldier, I sincerely hope it works out. I know you'll keep us informed Piffka.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:59 pm
ya after AIT (advanced infantry training) instructors aren't so mean, if he makes a mistake I'm going to be a hardass but thats part of the experiance. HALO stands for high altitude low opening aka advanced freefall. http://www.secretarmies.com/freefall.html
http://members.tripod.com/~thede/halo.html

those explain HALO and HAHO.

I can be a sensitive guy and I can be deep but it doesn't fly in the army.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 02:38 pm
Mothers like to think their sons are deep & sensitive. His sister now says she is hopeful that when he comes out, he won't be such a sh!t. She's counting on guys like you.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:24 pm
Okay, I've sounded a little negative on this too, but the experience is priceless, Piffka. I admit I prefer having the experience behind me instead of in front. Still, there is the timing. College first sounds better, and listing an officer pay grade on a resume is infinately better than any enlisted rank possible in a single term of enlistment. Could those educational bennies apply to an post graduate degree?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:51 pm
They can be used for graduate work, as far as I know. Safecracker may have better information.

My son plans to have his 2-year degree completed before he enlists. To him this is sort of a mid-college tour of duty. Roger... he had an answer for everything. I tried to trip him up, but in the end, I never made a dent in that hard --but sensitive--head.

Funny how things work out. I'm glad to hear you thought the experience was priceless. That makes me think of those Master-Card commercials!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 08:20 am
OK. Mr.P got a few words out of the boy. I'm copying here since I 'magine some of you may want to see what he has to say.

Quote:
arnie won. i figured he would but i had my doubts after last week when the sexual harassment thing and especially the hitler admiration thing came up. London is great, i've had no trouble adjusting. everyone in the group is easy to get along with, C. and A. are really fun to hang out with. I'm sorry you couldn't shoot the M1, Imperial college has a pistol and rifle club i'm looking into, as well as a snooker club, which i don't know how to play but i'm sure i can pick it up. I miss you and mom and j and poppy and penny. not so much pearl, but her too i guess.

(Poppy & Penny are dogs, Pearl being the horse.)
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 04:32 am
Laughing what a typical teen letter to home !!!

Mine usually were, "I hope u r fine, just like me. Need more money - can't drink that hootch which other drink. Miss ya all.....specially during meal times"
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 10:41 am
Ok word of advice, yell him if he wants to put himself ahead in life and wants the experiance for sure then go through ROTC, when he then becomes fully enlisted he will be on officer pay grade (O-1 oe O-2) the free college you recive is great but you must approch it all the right way. depending on the post grad they can be counted btw,
0 Replies