Nineteen Year Old Son Plans to Join Army

Thomas

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 09:30 am
Piffka wrote:
He does seem to have it all thought out (more panic).

Did that include talking to someone who's actually gone through the experience he is seeking, and who wasn't paid to manipulate him? I'm asking because the actual army experience differs from the recruiters' sales pitch in many ways, most of them non-obvious. For instance, my own experience as a draftee in the German army included endless stretches of boredom as we kept polishing our already-clean equipment. Note that unlike bosses in a real company, military bosses aren't paying for your time, so they can waste as much of it as they feel like -- and routinely do.

There are probably more non-obvious deviations from the salespitch, and chances are neither I nor anybody else here knows them. That's why it's important to talk to an independent veteran. If your son doesn't know one personally, I'm sure he can find one in some suitable internet newsgroup. Of course, this person might just tell your son that his experience was great, and that he should go for it -- in which case you'll just have to live with your sons first Big Decision as a grown-up.

Whatever happens -- good luck!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 09:31 am
piffka - i had to bring this here. Are you familiar with Fine Homebuilding (the magazine)? At their associated forum (Breaktime), someone recently started a thread on "how to raise good people". And one of the absolutely serious responses ...
Quote:
Ages 1-18: do your darndest
Ages 18-22: Let the military knock some sense
into them
Ages 22 on: enjoy the results

and then there's
Quote:
show your kids that you love them by listening, respecting, expecting, disciplining, trusting...

don't let a single day go by that you neglect to let them know in some way they are loved, cherished and a great source of pride.

and like Jeff said- don't post bail for a few days
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 09:56 am
Thomas -- He has spent a lot of time talking to his friends, one of whom lived with us for a while and now serves in the navy, the other is in ROTC at Embry-Riddle and spent most of his summer learning how to guard a base under enemy fire. He's also talked to his father who was in Viet Nam as a volunteer (and doesn't want him to go in because of the current situation). Obviously, his friends think they've made a great choice. <shaking head in disbelief> Thanks for the good wishes.

Beth -- Funny! I do know Fine Homebuilding though I've never seen their website. That first comment made me laugh out loud. Maybe there's hope for me? So according to that person, he'll learn to listen to his ma AFTER all this.

I can hear it now, "Mom, You were right...." It'd be music to my ears.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 10:11 am
Yup - he'll listen to you after he's been in the military - or so the Woodshed folks would have you believe. An interesting crowd.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 10:28 am
There's not much I can do about it one way or another. I just don't have the influence I used to have -- very frustrating.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 11:52 am
Did the recruiter tell him that he can sign up in January but postpone when he reports in? That sounds suspicious right off the bat. He won't have any choices, once he's signed. He will not be in control. I wonder if he really understand this or does he think, because of what some recruiter told him, that his plans and hopes will be considered? If I were you Piffka, I'd focus at the moment on this whole 'sign up in January but don't report until the fall' business. That may be your loophole. Once he realizes that he's, more than likely, been lied to and they, not him, will decide on when and where he reports, maybe he'll change his mind. Or, at least, wait until he's ready to go before signing up. By next fall, there's no telling what he'll be into and where his head will be. The military may no longer fit into his plan by then. Right?
Call the recruitment office yourself and ask if that really is an option. They may be more upfront with you or your husband.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 01:42 pm
Piffka--

I will cross my fingers that a wonderful woman--idealistic (but not military minded) will enter your son's life and change some of his career plans.

May love conquer all!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 03:16 pm
eoe -- yep, that would be the recruiter. Sounds suspicious? I hadn't considered that and I'll look into it.

Noddy -- <sigh> Young love... that is just what we need here! I don't think too many guys enter the service who are attached.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 03:20 pm
I know that recruiters in Canada will not speak to parents. The Privacy Act prevents it. Could you call without identifying yourself as a particular parent? You know, Mission Impossible phone booth and all.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 03:51 pm
Oh, yeah, Thomas. Forgot all about that maintenance of equipment to while away the hours. But there's a positive side to this - it improves morale and discipline. Not to mention, if you do real, real good, you can pass the next in an endless series of inspections, at which point you may well receive a pass to leave base for the afternoon. Sometimes even overnight. Got to be fair and mention the good parts to military life.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 03:53 pm
Thomas was in the army! Shocked

How'd I miss that?

eoe has an EXCELLENT point. One to pursue.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 05:14 pm
Beth -- The Privacy Act is so darn annoying. It also frustrates me when dealing with school. I can pay the bills, but I don't get to even order a transcript to be sent to another school or needed for their insurance to kick in. grrrrrrrrrrrr

Roger -- This kid could learn a little more about maintenance. Wink

Sozobe -- Yep, yep.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 11:57 pm
just to let you know the ghillie suit was invented by scottish snipers lol, 1 of my recruits did try to sneak up on me 1 time....he lost lol. As for ROTC my wife was thru it and it's not as demanding as being enlisted in the Army, Marines, or the uhhh Navy. recruiters are full of it there was 1 at a friends highschool when I walked in he totally shut up I don't trust a word they say.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 08:40 am
SafeCracker -- Trusting 'em? Me neither. So far, I haven't made a dent in my son's resolve, he's sure of his plan. He thinks he'll get to be assisting a JAG.

I don't know about the Scottish sniper & the ghillie suite, but commandos of WWII trained in NW Scotland -- I've heard the story about how they got off the train at Spean Bridge, expecting transport to Achnacarry. But oops, there wasn't one. It was a seven mile hike, with all their equipment -- they had to get there on their own. It's now tradition to do that march.

Commandos in Achnacarry
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 11:55 pm
Ghillie suits were developed by Scottish game wardens during the 19th century to catch poachers. I garantee that lol. I believe the 1st "snipers" were in the American Civil War by both Hiram Berdan & Robert E. Lee but the 1st actual trained snipers were in WWI by the Germans. While I'm on the subject, the closest estimate as to the average amount of rounds expended per kill in the Vietnam Conflict (For U.S. Army Soldiers) is 200,000. The average rounds expended per kill by U.S. Army
snipers in Vietnam was 1.3. Theres actually a sign at the USMC sniper school that reads "The average rounds expended per kill with the M16 in Vietnam was 50,000. Snipers averaged 1.3 rounds. The cost difference was $2300 v. 27 cents."

You tell me whos more effective lol as for your son Piffka I would really enjoy chatting with him if possible, I want to hear from him his reasons and so on and maybe someone with experiance like I can give him the full picture if he is not seeing it.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 07:12 am
I'm sure you're right about the history of the suit and the snipering. I do admire the Commandos though. Somebody said that the Brits train theirs the way they do soccer/football players. Lots of running & strength in their legs. The 'mericans train for our brand of football, lots of contact & colllisions, not so much running 'cause they'll come in and go out via machines.

Thanks, SafeCracker. That's a nice offer to talk to the boyo. He's on AIM, I think, and I've asked him to come online here. I'll tell him about you and will reissue the request. Wink

Quote:
$2300 v. 27 cents
Those snipers must be pretty good at hitting a target! (And you're teaching 'em???)
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 09:09 am
I wasn't teaching em then but they have only gotten better Smile with the XM107 in use it makes em' look good, it can and has killed 3 ppl with a single bullet in Irag but they started use in afghanistan....it's weird using a weapon in combat you helped test in the trials, it's even more weird that it lost to a bolt action and they still chose to use it. Ok I'm babbling lol. anyone think I should write a book on the history of the sniper? lol
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 06:27 am
Sorry I never extended my thanks, Osso and eoe. Very thoughtful replies and cautions.

We left a couple of weeks after the last post, taking him to the UK for a fall quarter of school. Interestingly... last time we spoke he was wondering about joining, instead of the US Army, one of the regiments from the UK... specifically something from the Highlands. Now wouldn't THAT be something??? I don't know if it is possible, but it put a strange twist on his plans. We spent a week in Scotland visiting all manner of things military, so it's all my fault, I guess.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 09:56 am
Oy!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 10:58 am
Yep. Too many castles and battlefields and military museum exhibitions, I think. (Really, the Scots did spent a lot of time fighting.) The Commando Monument at Spean Bridge and their training grounds knocked his socks off. He was quite anxious to go to a big recruitment thingie going on at the Chelsea Barracks last Sunday, but stayed with us at Kew Gardens, instead. We fed peanuts to the peacocks though he chafed to be gone. (sigh) Such a difference, it was hard to believe he'd rather be looking at more military stuff.
0 Replies