Nineteen Year Old Son Plans to Join Army

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 11:13 am
Piffka wrote:
[...]
Interestingly... last time we spoke he was wondering about joining, instead of the US Army, one of the regiments from the UK... specifically something from the Highlands. Now wouldn't THAT be something??? I don't know if it is possible, but it put a strange twist on his plans.
[...]

I don't think that is possible (and as far as I know, only Spain and France have "regular" troops for foreign nationalties, called 'Foreign Legions').

From the British Army website:
Quote:
The Nationality and Residency
All applicants joining the British Army should meet the following requirements:

Candidates should have been Commonwealth citizen since birth (i.e. a British Citizen, citizen of British Dependant Territories, British Overseas Citizen, British Subject under the Nationality Act 1981, citizen of an Independent Commonwealth Country) or a citizen of Ireland.
Candidates should have been born in the UK or Ireland, or a country or territory which is (or was then) within the Commonwealth.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 12:10 pm
Well, that's a relief though he probably won't think so. Surprising that a candidate must be born to it and can't even after becoming a citizen.

The US Army rules are quite different. There are lots of jobs open to non-citizens.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 12:30 pm
Well, actually this was referring to the officer's career only.

See here for more general info:
Quote:

[...]

Nationality
Applicants will be eligible if they are a bona fide resident of the United Kingdom or the Irish Republic and are one of the following:

Commonwealth citizen. This term includes a British citizen; a citizen of the British dependent territories; a British overseas citizen; a British subject under the British Nationality Act 1981; a citizen of an independent Commonwealth country; British Protected Person; Citizen of the Irish Republic.

[...]
Entry Requirements
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 12:38 pm
He's going to be disappointed. Smile
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 01:41 pm
Piffka, your son might keep in mind that his commitment does not end when his enlistment ends. He will get assigned to a reserve unit for several years and can be called up at any time. I know several people who are dealing with this unfortunate little foot note to their contract at the moment.

As for money for education, a young women who was at the time a student at the school I teach at was killed in the first Gulf War. She was in the National Guard and had enlisted for the educational benefits.

To get on a soap box about this, no memorial that I am aware of was ever dedicated to this young women. And I have been told by other students who are in the Guard that her death is used as an example foolish behavior, of what not to do in a combat situation. In effect she is blamed for her own death.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 02:37 pm
Most young people are fearless, and do not believe anything bad will happen to them - only to others. I think that's a reality most of us experience during our young years.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 03:02 pm
Acquiunk -- He seems to be pretty aware of the responsibilities of reservists... and though he says he's doing it for the educational benefit, the truth is, his grandpa left him money for that.

I think... well, actually I really don't know what to think. From the comments he made about joining the Highlanders, there's a distinct romantic or at least a coming-of-age motivation to his madness.

CI -- He isn't totally fearless and knows when to stop if he's climbing too high on rocks or swimming too far. He does have some common sense. But he's fascinated by all things military... I think I mentioned somewhere at the beginning of this thread that he'd read "All Quiet on the WEstern Front" at least three times while he was in middle school, and has devoured the Lord Hornblower series twice, plus other innumerable books on war, history and the history of war.

<sigh> Why me?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 03:24 pm
Have you talked to his sister about this? Does she have thoughts about why he is so keen on this?

It does seem like this has been a long time developing in him.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 04:06 pm
Well, yeah, we've talked about it. I wouldn't say she has much insight either. She's pretty practical about things and the fact is, he's extremely hard-headed. Once he's made up his mind, we've all learned that nobody can make him change his mind again, except himself.

He thinks that the military is a noble calling. My worries about his safety only make him want to do this thing more.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 04:39 pm
So, in effect you can make him want it more, but you can't make him want it less?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 04:42 pm
What about suggesting an alternative to the army such as the Air Force or the Coast Guard?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 05:07 pm
ehBeth wrote:
So, in effect you can make him want it more, but you can't make him want it less?

Well, yes, how perceptive of you. Stinks, doesn't it?

Maybe this time in London will change his mind. Last I talked to him, he believes that the military experience will give him something he can't get anywhere else.

Acquiunk -- We've tried to divert him with alternatives but so far, none has appealed to him. Coast Guard... National Guard... Peace Corps... Foreign Service... they pale in significance to the army as far as he is concerned.

Y'know, you raise your kid to be a peace-loving radical and what do you get?

Girls find him charming, animals love him, his band teacher said he was at the top of the food chain in popularity. The party didn't really start until he arrived, but he still kept this James Bond persona of cool. As a toddler he'd call all ants his pets... they were all named Frankie. It was completely endearing. But now this. What's a mum to do? He's very idealistic and definitely sees this as a higher calling than most despite (maybe because) he's been told how horrible it can be, how mind-numbing, how dangerous. He was very scornful of his new roommate in London who said he'd rather serve burgers at McDonalds then join up.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 05:09 pm
Oh, the roommate thing is the most promising yet. How long will they live together?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 05:17 pm
Until December 5th, but I doubt he will influence my son. THe roommate seems convinced that the only reason to go to London was to get away from home and drink. My son's been there, done that in Costa Rica and isn't impressed with that style. He does like going to parties with the two Italian girls from the same boarding house. Now if THEY were to express disapproval of this army plan....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 05:21 pm
Roommate sounds so-so. Will hope the Italian girls can wrangle something. (Do you have their email addresses? Razz)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 05:47 pm
Smile nope and I heard they're shy about speaking English, though not so shy with him. They have been taking him to parties put on by friends of their parents. Will keep fingers crossed... they stay until late December so I expect he'll be spending a lot of time with them.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 10:03 pm
LMAO maybe you need to remind him it might get him a bullet to the head. You touched on the National Guard and the AF (keep in mind Army has a AF as well) the thing is with either of those choices at this time the chance of going to combat is still high. I have a friend who just joined the AF and we are fighting over it. Ask him 1 simple question see if he can answer it "who is the highest ranking officer in the US Army?" If he can't answer that on the spot ask him how he figures he wants to help change the future when he don't even know the past.

I really want to speak about serving for different countrys and tell you the truth but what I want to tell you is classified sorry. Let's just say it's possible under the right curcumstances.

Does he like being someone elses bitch? that's all he's going to experiance in a 4 year stint in the military. No matter how high you rank you still have a mean power hungry superior, I was teaching and I still had to answer to ppl.

My wife is italian from genoa (crazy ppl) italian woman are great.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 06:39 am
That's what he said... (Italian women are great!).

Safecracker -- I tried to get him to sit down and read this thread all the way through. He started but then he began laughing at me and couldn't stop.

Horrible kid. Who raised such a monster???
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 09:28 am
I don't wanna be rude but if he can't even take advice from an instructor how does he figure he can last in the army?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 09:48 am
I'm afraid he doesn't recognize your authority. I'm sure if you were here in person and speaking with him, especially if you were HIS instructor, then he'd be listening with rapt attention.

Btw -- he said he wants to take some airborne training in Georgia... Maybe you'll have your chance. Wouldn't THAT be something? His father & I just laughed at him, "an airborne legal assistant?"

Can't you just see a cartoon and somebody dropping by parachute, briefcase in hand with the caption "For GOD's SAKE, we're desperate -- send in the lawyers."
0 Replies