Michele Obama's Big Mouth

Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 08:55 pm
Hackey wrote:

Maybe you should cease and desist trying to guess at the motives of the other people in the debate, and concentrate on arguing your point of view. Your guesses often aren't very good, and they serve no purpose. My objections are clearly stated, go with that. (end nice quote)

Can ya get anymore unlikeable, ya big porky galoot....

(I hope yer not a General or nothin...) Rolling Eyes

Ima be around for a few hours if yer feelin' frisky... :wink:

RH
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 09:07 pm
parados wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
With a former First Lady making a highly credible effort to reoccupy the White House, and, this time, the Oval Office as well, it makes sense for American voters to take a good look at the wives of the current male candidates. If Hillary is any example, voting her husband into the office will be providing Michelle with "the experience" she may (with profound irony) rely upon when she makes her own run for the presidency.
So we should judge every spouse of a politician as if she was running for office. That is downright stupid to even suggest such a thing. Spouses aren't running for the office.
Quote:

This is but one reason to take seriously her public comments and published opinions.

Another, is that spouses are, in one way or the other, a reflection of each other.

If someone's spouse enjoys setting fire to stray cats, public expressions of love, and support would, correctly, reflect that person's attitude about torturing animals.

Before some of our more hysterical posters fly off the handle, obviously Michelle is not someone who enjoys setting fire to stray cats. I am using exaggeration to make a point.
No need to go hysterical about the exaggeration. The concept is silly. Yes, husband and wife may share some ideas but that doesn't mean they do. To use another silly exaggeration. If a man likes sleeping with women does that mean his wife also likes doing that? Public expressions of love and support really show nothing about attitude for personal foibles of one's spouse. No one is perfect and loving someone doesn't mean you love everything they do.

What is downright stupid is to take what I have written and turn it into a declaration that we should judge every spouse of a politician as if she was running for office.

We have seen in the past dynastic families in American politics. Up until now they have tended to involve the male lines of a family, and certainly this has been the case with the presidency. Hillary Clinton in this election has set a precedent that we can expect to be repeated.

It makes sense to consider the spouses of candidates if they demonstrate any potential for seeking elected office, in one's estimation of the candidate. It also makes sense to consider any other family member with actual or potential political aspirations.

As has been demonstrated time and time again, the election of one member of a family opens the door for the election of other members - including spouses. As a result it has always made sense to consider the possibility that electing one member of a family might pave the way for the political career of others. By no means should it be the only consideration, nor even one of the most important, but despite the fact that almost no one actually thinks about, I would argue they should.

Only now do we see an example of a spouse using a stay in the White House to springboard her political career. Do you really think she will be the only one that does?

It seems pretty clear that Laura Bush loves and supports (both privately and publicly) her husband George, and yet if she believed of him what you and so many others in this forum think of his character one would have to question her own character if not her sanity.

I suppose there are a few people who think they can be a normal person and still love a monster, but it is clear that, in such cases, their understanding of normality and/or love is warped.

If you believe that Michelle's public pronouncements and personal positions are not only reasonable but accurate, then you are probably going to see his marriage to her as positive rather than even neutral. If you think they are merely foibles, then you are not likely to allow them to influence your opinion of him, however if you find them troubling and/or objectionable, it makes sense for them to influence your opinion of him.

Clearly, you are not of the third group which is of course fine. You may be able to make a good case why her pronouncements and position should not be troubling or objectionable (although I doubt you will change anyone opinion on this), but it is something altogether different to suggest that someone who does find them problematic should not consider this as a factor in their estimation of him.

There is every reason to believe that Michelle Obama will be a trusted and influential advisor to a President Obama. I have no problem with this and even if I did it would make no difference, but while she may not end up another Edith Wilson serving a Regency, her beliefs and opinions will have a not so inconsequential impact on this country.

The very recognition and consideration Obama gives to his wife's intelligence and abilities which most of his supporters find endearing is reason to concern ourselves with the nature of the influence she will have upon him.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 09:17 pm
Haven't read finn's latest. Rather agreed with him a bit ago.

On the premise we are arguing -

What is it? That this man running for office needs to control this wife who is running her mouth off?

I didn't notice proof of that, or, never mind proof, cause for that he needs to.

Is Hawkeye using Collin's mildly wondering sentences as his point of view?

Where is the nut, hawkeye, of why she needs controlling?

That he is the one who is running? Yes, there is no question of that, and so?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 09:32 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Finn,
I didn't notice anyone complaining that Michelle was criticized for being outspoken. I certainly have no issue with that. Like many, however, I do disagree with the criticism. For that matter; I see nothing unreasonable about Hawkeye's belief that political spouses should tow the line, though I find it more than a bit presumptuous and frankly naïve (as he subsequently admitted; he can't know anything). Neither Obama nor his staff need agree with everything she says for her to be an asset. IMHO, she is a very likeable figure in her candor and if I were advising Barack; I wouldn't advise his asking her to limit her discourse to canned PR friendly phoniness. It is only my opinion, of course, but I think a sincere 95% PR friendly Michelle is far more valuable than a Stepford wife would be… unless she has some ingenious ability to present a manufactured self as genuine, without losing a lick of her candid charm. That's a pretty tall order for most people (Bill Clinton being a notable exception).

I haven't heard her say anything ill-advised enough to offset the positives (by my reckoning) she brings to the table. People will all, of course, judge her differently, but that goes without say.

And that is a perfectly reasonable position. After all, you support the man for the presidency, and the people who judge his wife differently than you, probably do not.

In the case of Mr and Mrs Obama it is unlikely that there will be many who find her pronouncements and positions troubling, but are A-OK with his. Similarly, it is unlikely that anyone who disagrees with Mr Obama's proposed policies and stated opinions are going to be A-OK with hers.

But it does matter what she says. You and others may not have had a problem with her stated lack of pride in America, but others did, and if they did, it makes perfect sense for them to impute that problem to him.

Personally, I find his association with a church led by someone with the opinions and beliefs of Rev Jeremiah Wright to be a little troubling, but I think he has made it clear where he diverges from those opinions and beliefs. I'm not sure I understand how he is able to compartmentalize and separate the embraced notions of his spiritual leader from the offensive ones, but it's his faith.

Can we expect him to similarly approach the things his wife says and believes? I seriously doubt it, and not so much because he is incapable of doing so (after all its his marriage too), but because politically he never could.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 09:37 pm
I figure Michelle Obama has some influence on Barack Obama's refining of his takes on things, but I expect that is in the realm of presentation. He has advisors up the kazoo. He and she are not the same person, and I'd be very surprised if he is not clear on that.

I'll acknowledge that can be a worry with some couples, but I don't see it going on.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 10:29 pm
Damn. I was hoping this thread would have died yesterday. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 10:53 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I figure Michelle Obama has some influence on Barack Obama's refining of his takes on things, but I expect that is in the realm of presentation. He has advisors up the kazoo. He and she are not the same person, and I'd be very surprised if he is not clear on that.

I'll acknowledge that can be a worry with some couples, but I don't see it going on.

Then you don't have much regard for their marriage.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 10:55 pm
eh?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:20 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
parados wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
With a former First Lady making a highly credible effort to reoccupy the White House, and, this time, the Oval Office as well, it makes sense for American voters to take a good look at the wives of the current male candidates. If Hillary is any example, voting her husband into the office will be providing Michelle with "the experience" she may (with profound irony) rely upon when she makes her own run for the presidency.
So we should judge every spouse of a politician as if she was running for office. That is downright stupid to even suggest such a thing. Spouses aren't running for the office.
Quote:

This is but one reason to take seriously her public comments and published opinions.

Another, is that spouses are, in one way or the other, a reflection of each other.

If someone's spouse enjoys setting fire to stray cats, public expressions of love, and support would, correctly, reflect that person's attitude about torturing animals.

Before some of our more hysterical posters fly off the handle, obviously Michelle is not someone who enjoys setting fire to stray cats. I am using exaggeration to make a point.
No need to go hysterical about the exaggeration. The concept is silly. Yes, husband and wife may share some ideas but that doesn't mean they do. To use another silly exaggeration. If a man likes sleeping with women does that mean his wife also likes doing that? Public expressions of love and support really show nothing about attitude for personal foibles of one's spouse. No one is perfect and loving someone doesn't mean you love everything they do.

What is downright stupid is to take what I have written and turn it into a declaration that we should judge every spouse of a politician as if she was running for office.
Oh. so we shouldn't judge spouses as if they are running for office.
Quote:

We have seen in the past dynastic families in American politics. Up until now they have tended to involve the male lines of a family, and certainly this has been the case with the presidency. Hillary Clinton in this election has set a precedent that we can expect to be repeated.

It makes sense to consider the spouses of candidates if they demonstrate any potential for seeking elected office, in one's estimation of the candidate. It also makes sense to consider any other family member with actual or potential political aspirations.
And you have evidence of a dynasty in Obama's family? No, I don't think you do. You are blowing smoke that when shown to be smoke you try to blow more smoke.
Quote:

As has been demonstrated time and time again, the election of one member of a family opens the door for the election of other members - including spouses. As a result it has always made sense to consider the possibility that electing one member of a family might pave the way for the political career of others. By no means should it be the only consideration, nor even one of the most important, but despite the fact that almost no one actually thinks about, I would argue they should.
Rolling Eyes I see, so we SHOULD judge them as if they are running for office. Would you make up your mind already? It's always painful to watch you argue with yourself.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:21 pm
ossobuco wrote:
eh?

Simple:

You figure Michelle has "some" influence on his "refining" of his take on things.

(Wow, now that is a truly dramatic endorsement of the significance of Michelle's role in their relationship!)

But, you figure that is in the realm of "presentation."

(Forget substance, she is only able to influence him on whether or not he puts his hands in his pockets, or chews gum while on the stump)

He has advisors up the kazoo (should be wazoo, but that's another thread) so why would anyone think that his wife might be one?

(Wow again. Even the advisors dangling off of his kazoo (wazoo) are of more importance than the insignificant Michelle. Why would he need his wife as an advisor, he has them up the "kazoo?")

If he had a relationship where he thought Michelle approximated an equal partner, it might be a worry.

(Wow, yet again! No need to worry about Michelle's nuttiness because Barrack has made it crystal clear she's around for sex and raising the kids)

Osso - You, generally, make fair sense, but take another look at what you wrote. If it's an accurate reflection of your belief then I'm either more of a feminist than you or I have a much higher opinion of marriages.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:38 pm
There are only two ways a spouse of a candidate deserves to be judged:
a) the candidate on his/her choice of a spouse (relates to making good choices)

b) the spouse on his/her ability/willingness to be supportive of the candidate should they win

Opinions, beliefs and policy positions of the spouse are in every other respect irrelevant.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:41 pm
parados wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
parados wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Quote:

Oh. so we shouldn't judge spouses as if they are running for office.
Quote:

And you have evidence of a dynasty in Obama's family? No, I don't think you do. You are blowing smoke that when shown to be smoke you try to blow more smoke.
Quote:

Rolling Eyes I see, so we SHOULD judge them as if they are running for office. Would you make up your mind already? It's always painful to watch you argue with yourself.

Is there a more affected expression than an eye-roll?

Is there a more affected poster than Parados?

I rejoice in your pain nimrod.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:42 pm
I'll look at it in the morning. And, wow yourself.

I'm famous for word play, however poorly worked out. Sorry you don't like kazoo instead of wazoo. Perhaps you can think of a third word..
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:48 pm
I so hope my access works tomorrow, Hack.

You light up my life... Rolling Eyes

RH
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 12:06 am
ossobuco wrote:

I'm famous for word play, however poorly worked out. Sorry you don't like kazoo instead of wazoo. Perhaps you can think of a third word..

Apparently, common English now accepts "kazoo" as "the buttocks or anus" and so your usage was academically acceptible.

On the other hand, "wazoo" has no accepted definition other than "the buttocks or anus."

So corruption of a perfectly defined term can lead to accepted usage, but no pride should be taken in its employment.

There is no need for a third choice. "Kazoo" is ambiguous; "wazoo" is not.

If it has not already arrived, at some point I expect the corrupted use of "literally" to be accepted by Websters. At that point you may feel ratified by asserting that Obama has numerous advisors, literally, up his kazoo.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 12:20 am
Quote:
After losing Texas, Ohio, Rhode Island and his mojo, and getting whipsawed around by Hillary and his own chuckleheaded coterie of advisers, he will now have to come to grips with something he has always skittered away from: You can't be elected president unless you prove you're tough.

Hillary's undeniably tough, as even admiring conservatives admit. The Wall Street Journal op-ed page dubbed her Ma Barker, saying she had tapped into the angst of blue-collar women who know they have to ignore their "moping" men and "suck it up and hold the house together."

Ma Clinton knows where Obambi's soft spots are; she knows he likes being petted on his pedestal, that he's unnerved by her, and that he can never fully accept how shameless she is. What could be more shameless than suggesting to Democrats that John McCain would make a better commander in chief than Obama?

The Obama campaign seems naïve when it keeps reacting with hurt feelings and play-by-the-rules protestations to the Clinton modus vivendi of grabbing the slightest slip and ripping it open. Hillary's kneecapper Howard Wolfson compares the goo-goo Obama campaign to Ken Starr with a straight face.

The superdelegates are watching to see if Obama can stiffen his backbone. After seeing their candidates lose races they should have won in 2000 and 2004 because they flinched at Republican political waterboarding, Democrats do not want to watch the bully swipe their lollipop a third time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/09/opinion/09dowd.html?hp

Quote:
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 12:35 am
Rockhead wrote:
I so hope my access works tomorrow, Hack.

You light up my life... Rolling Eyes

RH

Great....maybe tomorrow you will finally admit that I am right, Or make a case that i am wrong...either one. I already know that you can do half-assed insults.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 09:18 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
ossobuco wrote:

Apparently, common English now accepts "kazoo" as "the buttocks or anus" and so your usage was academically acceptible.

On the other hand, "wazoo" has no accepted definition other than "the buttocks or anus."

So corruption of a perfectly defined term can lead to accepted usage, but no pride should be taken in its employment.

If it has not already arrived, at some point I expect the corrupted use of "literally" to be accepted by Websters. At that point you may feel ratified by asserting that Obama has numerous advisors, literally, up his kazoo.

You seem to be making a run at the title for most "affected poster."

Does your spouse support you? Should we be worried about her "wazoo" too?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 01:46 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
ossobuco wrote:

You don't understand what I mean by wordplay.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 02:16 pm
OSSO

FINN
Simple:

You figure Michelle has "some" influence on his "refining" of his take on things.

(Wow, now that is a truly dramatic endorsement of the significance of Michelle's role in their relationship!)

But, you figure that is in the realm of "presentation."

(Forget substance, she is only able to influence him on whether or not he puts his hands in his pockets, or chews gum while on the stump)

He has advisors up the kazoo (should be wazoo, but that's another thread) so why would anyone think that his wife might be one?

(Wow again. Even the advisors dangling off of his kazoo (wazoo) are of more importance than the insignificant Michelle. Why would he need his wife as an advisor, he has them up the "kazoo?")

If he had a relationship where he thought Michelle approximated an equal partner, it might be a worry.

(Wow, yet again! No need to worry about Michelle's nuttiness because Barrack has made it crystal clear she's around for sex and raising the kids)

Osso - You, generally, make fair sense, but take another look at what you wrote. If it's an accurate reflection of your belief then I'm either more of a feminist than you or I have a much higher opinion of marriages.

in reply -

Well, we probably do have a different idea of what equal partners means.
I grant each person in a marriage - or in a conversation between friends over coffee or in a conversation between people who don't know each other in a forum - their own mental autonomy. I'm not particularly interested in getting others to change their minds on anything, and wasn't with my husband either. I think I only did that once in something like 25 years, and that wasn't about politics. We did often think alike on a lot of issues. We did express opinions zillions of times. I remember no tones of 'advising' the other person in some kind of instructional way, from either of us... more an expression of our own developing thoughts.

That is how I try to be at a2k too, though of course I flub up; there are posts in my cumulative awk history (er, that's more word play) that I'd be glad to take back My interest is my own curiosity, my working out of what I think.

Whether the Michelle and Barack Obama marriage is anything like mine, re "advice giving", I've naturally no idea. What I read is that he is interested in her help on how the presentations are going. Perhaps I missed more information than that.

Yes, I think a spouse could have a deleterious effect on a partner who is in some office because of pushing some agenda. Oh, astrology, for example, re decision making. I think it is useful to know the extent of the spousal "expertise" and its influence.

At present, I'm not worried by what I read of Michelle Obama.
0 Replies