Michele Obama's Big Mouth

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 10:49 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Very good point, Rockhead!

we can talk about if you wish. From where I sit you seem to don't understand the difference between a personal life and a public life. For a wife to interrupt the flow of her husbands political career by becoming active in the public realm to the detriment of her husband is unsupportable. If she has nothing to say that will help him she should do him a favor and stay home, or be like Chelsea and stand behind him with a smile on her face. . She does not need to have much of a public life, and what she does have should support the work her husband is trying to do. Considering that it does not appear that she has good political instincts she should definitely do that.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 10:51 pm
I understand a lot, but you dint quote me.

I'll continue to watch...

RH
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:04 pm
that boring dope from the New Yorker wrote:
Of the Iowa State Fair's corn dogs and candied apples, obligingly gushed over by hopeful First Ladies every four years: "Stuff on a stick."
Laughing Stuff on a stick. I love it. Michelle kicks ass, in front of thousands who show up to see her do it in person, on a pretty regular basis. She isn't hurting anything, save perhaps the feelings of some old fashioned fools, Republicans, and Clinton supporters. To Barack; she is very clearly an asset. From where I'm sitting, I'd say he did very well in choosing her.
0 Replies

paull

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:04 pm
Michelle is McCain's dream come true.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:06 pm
paull wrote:
That would be Hillary. Unfortunately for McCain; it doesn't look like his dream is coming true.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:11 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
Very good point, Rockhead!

we can talk about if you wish. From where I sit you seem to don't understand the difference between a personal life and a public life. For a wife to interrupt the flow of her husbands political career by becoming active in the public realm to the detriment of her husband is unsupportable. If she has nothing to say that will help him she should do him a favor and stay home, or be like Chelsea and stand behind him with a smile on her face. . She does not need to have much of a public life, and what she does have should support the work her husband is trying to do. Considering that it does not appear that she has good political instincts she should definitely do that.

Well, I don't know where you sit, but it must be in a pretty isolated, remote
place. What you don't understand is that your way of thinking is narrow minded and quite old fashioned. Michelle's public appearance has and will
enhance Obama's political career now and in the future. I guess, you
just don't understand today's politics.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:12 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
paull wrote:
That would be Hillary. Unfortunately for McCain; it doesn't look like his dream is coming true.

I second that!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:19 pm
CalamityJane wrote:

Well, I don't know where you sit, but it must be in a pretty isolated, remote
place. What you don't understand is that your way of thinking is narrow minded and quite old fashioned. Michelle's public appearance has and will
enhance Obama's political career now and in the future. I guess, you
just don't understand today's politics.

Right......wishful thinking on your part. If you were correct Rudy Giuliani would not have gotten so jammed-up when Judith Nathan decided that the rules do no apply to her either. You would also have to explain why the pro's who work for Hillary and barack generally make it clear that the spouses need to be contained.....are you arguing that both campaigns are run by people who don't understand moder politics??
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:25 pm
Oy! Now you are comparing apples to oranges. Giuliani never really had
a leg to stand on, and you know what reeled him in? He's got absolutely
no moral bone in his body. Leave poor Judith Nathan out of it, Giuliani
did this all on his own.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:28 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
did this all on his own.

The fact that he never had a chance does not alter the reality that his wife hurt him, and that his inability or unwillingness to control her hurt him.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:38 pm
Your statement is utterly ridiculous, and I leave it at that.
Good night!
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:41 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Your statement is utterly ridiculous, and I leave it at that.
Good night!

Let's do this again sometime. Sleep well.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:48 pm
You too, Jack. We're not done...

See ya round.

RH
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 11:57 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
CalamityJane wrote:
did this all on his own.

The fact that he never had a chance does not alter the reality that his wife hurt him, and that his inability or unwillingness to control her hurt him.
inability or unwillingness to control her? So you're one of those big tough guys who thinks it's good to control women? What a piece of garbage you must be.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 12:02 am
Rockhead wrote:
You too, Jack. We're not done...

See ya round.

RH

I think you bet on the wrong horse here, as i don't see where you are going to find persuasive arguments for your position. I look forward to seeing what you can come up with.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 12:15 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
inability or unwillingness to control her? So you're one of those big tough guys who thinks it's good to control women? What a piece of garbage you must be.

Please refer to the comments about personal life not being the same as public life. Controlling a spouse in the campaign for public office says nothing about how the person maintains their private life, or their views on gender or use of power in personal relationships. It does say something about the spouses willingness or unwillingness to be supportive, as well as the candidates ability to be persuasive. You don't suppose that Hillary took a whip to Bill do you?? No, she most likely convinced him that he was hurting her, and that he needed to knock it off. If Barack can't convince his wife to do the right thing how is he going to convince other world leaders of anything, especially after Bush has done all of the damage he has done??

McCain will have a feast on Barack by way of his wife if he does not wise up soon. Barack is a great politician, but he has a blind spot when it comes to his wife. This is forgivable, but he must adjust.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 06:56 am
The mysonginist appears to have been uncloaked.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 12:45 pm
JPB wrote:
The mysonginist appears to have been uncloaked.

How you get from the cultural rules for a candidates spouse having a public life to misogyny I am sure I don't know. The rules apply to Bill Clinton as well so gender has nothing to do with it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 12:54 pm
I read the Collins piece, and do not have any complaints about what Michelle Obama was quoted as saying. Indeed, I like her better that I did before reading it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 01:13 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I read the Collins piece, and do not have any complaints about what Michelle Obama was quoted as saying. Indeed, I like her better that I did before reading it.

I like her too, but if she continues to put her desire to speak out ahead of her husbands mission she will hurt him much more than she helps. It strikes me a selfishness. We are talking about the office of President, and no matter how talented he is Barack is lucky to have this shot. She should not be putting all that at risk because she wants to be extremely outspoken. Nobody is asking her to be like Laura Bush or McCains wife, just that she tone it down a few notches. She will not even do that for her husband.
0 Replies