On Obama and McCain, Hagee and Farrakhan

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 04:46 am
Only a lunatic would defend Hagee:

bbc.com

Quote:
His (Hagee's) latest book, Jerusalem Countdown: A Warning to the World, interprets the Bible to predict that Russian and Arab armies will invade Israel and be destroyed by God.

This will set up a confrontation over Israel between China and the West, led by the anti-Christ, who will be the head of the European Union, Pastor Hagee writes.

That final battle between East and West - at Armageddon, as the actual Israeli location of Meggido is known in English - will precipitate the second coming of Christ, he concludes.

It is not clear how many evangelicals believe literally in those type of prophecies.

Although the insane Hagee "supports" Israel as it is necessary to achieve his Armageddon, he certainly doesn't support Jews, he believes Jews will meet a horrible death (incineration) after the Rapture.

Hagee and Catholics

Quote:
But Catholic League President Bill Donohue said in a statement Thursday that Hagee has written extensively in negative ways about the Catholic Church, "calling it 'The Great Whore,' an 'apostate church,' the 'anti-Christ,' and a 'false cult system.' "

"Senator Obama has repudiated the endorsement of Louis Farrakhan, another bigot. McCain should follow suit and retract his embrace of Hagee," Donohue said.

Hagee , Gays and African-Americans

Quote:
"I am very proud of the Pastor John Hagee's spiritual
leadership to thousands of people...I am not endorsing some of their
positions." [McCain Media Availability, 2/29/08]

So which Hagee positions does John McCain endorse? His position that
Hurricane Katrina was punishment from God because " I believe that New Orleans had a level of sin that was offensive to God, and they are--were recipients of the judgment of God for that. The newspaper carried the story in our local area that was not carried nationally that there was to be a homosexual parade on the Monday that the Katrina came, and the promise of that parade was that it was going to reach a level of sexuality never demonstrated before in any of the other Gay Pride parades. So I believe that the judgment of God is a very real thing"
[NPR Fresh Air, 9/18/06]]

So when is John "Bullshit Express" McCain going to repudiate Hagee?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 06:08 am
McCain said something like "Just because I accept his endorsement, doesn't mean I agree with all of his beliefs."

But where is the demand from the right that he "renounce and reject" Hagee the way Obama was pressed on Farrakhan?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 06:11 am
"supports what I stand for and believe in," McCain said.

"When he endorses me, that does not mean that I endorse everything that he stands for and believes in," McCain said. "I don't have to agree with everyone who endorses my campaign."

He added that he was "proud" of Hagee's spiritual leadership of his congregation at the 17,000-member Cornerstone Church.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 06:36 am
real life wrote:
Well, lessee.................

Hagee supports our ally , Israel.

Farrakhan advocates the destruction of our ally, Israel.

Hagee welcomes blacks and whites into his congregation.

Farrakhan refers to whites as 'devils'

If John McCain attended a church which gave an award to a racist, the call for McCain to leave that church would be loud and insistent.

Barack 'Present' Obama's church recently honored Farrakhan.

But 'Present' Obama can't seem to make the difficult decision to leave the church where his 'mentor' Dr Wright has built a church that is 'Committed to the Black Value System' and a 'non-negotiable Commitment to Africa' (but no stated commitment to America).

Jeremiah Wright wrote:
White America got their wake-up call after 9-11. White America and the Western world came to realize people of color had not gone away, faded in the woodwork, or just disappeared as the Great White West kept on its merry way of ignoring black concerns.

'Present' Obama's problems with race go a lot deeper than just Louis Farrakhan.
Has Farakan endorset Obama? Has Obama accepted Farakan?
Has Hagee endorsed McCain? Has McCain welcomed Hagee's endorsement?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 08:22 am
dyslexia wrote:
real life wrote:
Well, lessee.................

Hagee supports our ally , Israel.

Farrakhan advocates the destruction of our ally, Israel.

Hagee welcomes blacks and whites into his congregation.

Farrakhan refers to whites as 'devils'

If John McCain attended a church which gave an award to a racist, the call for McCain to leave that church would be loud and insistent.

Barack 'Present' Obama's church recently honored Farrakhan.

But 'Present' Obama can't seem to make the difficult decision to leave the church where his 'mentor' Dr Wright has built a church that is 'Committed to the Black Value System' and a 'non-negotiable Commitment to Africa' (but no stated commitment to America).

Jeremiah Wright wrote:
White America got their wake-up call after 9-11. White America and the Western world came to realize people of color had not gone away, faded in the woodwork, or just disappeared as the Great White West kept on its merry way of ignoring black concerns.

'Present' Obama's problems with race go a lot deeper than just Louis Farrakhan.
Has Farakan endorset Obama?

'Present' Obama belongs to an organization (his church) which gave an award to Farrakhan.

'Present' Obama's pastor and mentor , Jeremiah Wright, said of Farrakhan

Quote:
When Minister Farrakhan speaks, black America listens," Wright said. "His depth on analysis when it comes to the racial ills of this nation is astounding and eye-opening. He brings a perspective that is helpful and honest.......

Minister Farrakhan will be remembered as one of the 20th and 21st century giants of the African American religious experience," continues Wright. "His integrity and honesty have secured him a place in history as one of the nation's most powerful critics. His love for Africa and African American people has made him an unforgettable force, a catalyst for change and a religious leader who is sincere about his faith and his purpose.

If McCain's pastor had praised a white racist figure in this way, what would be your response?

In the past , we've had discussions in this country about whether it was proper to maintain membership in a country club that excluded blacks.

Quote:
The Country Club of Little Rock, where Bill Clinton has played golf several times a year since he became Governor, sits on a graceful hill in an exclusive neighborhood called the Heights, its greens sloping down to the Arkansas River. Opened just after the turn of the century, it recalls an older South in many ways, including its membership: 500 white men and women.

Last week Mr. Clinton, his quest for the Democratic Presidential nomination seemingly wrapped up, found himself under fire for playing at the club, and he quickly admitted he had made a mistake and vowed never to play there again until it was integrated.

"A guy asked me to play nine holes of golf," he said on Friday. "It was the only place we had time to play. I should not have done it."

But he did not explain why he had played at the club for years despite its all-white membership. Today, Mike Gauldin, his spokesman in Arkansas, was asked that question; he said, "No one ever complained about it before."

Mr. Clinton's mea culpa has not defused the criticism. In New York today, his chief rival, Edmund G. Brown Jr. of California, said that "even George Bush wouldn't dare play golf at an all-white golf club."
from http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0CE6D91438F930A15750C0A964958260&scp=1&sq=%2522Club+Where+Clinton+Has+Golfed+Retains+Ways+of+Old+South%2522&st=nyt

Hmmmm, I guess I've answered my own question. If you're a Democrat, it's ok as long as no one calls you on it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 02:32 pm
So real life,
If it is right to ask of Obama that he "reject and denounce" Farrakhan, should McCain be expected to show the same committnment to avoiding association with bigots by "rejecting and denouncing" Hagee?

Please be brief and answer directly if you can.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 02:46 pm
snood wrote:
So real life,
If it is right to ask of Obama that he "reject and denounce" Farrakhan, should McCain be expected to show the same committnment to avoiding association with bigots by "rejecting and denouncing" Hagee?

In your estimation, snood ... is Hagee a racist? Is Farrakhan a racist?

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 02:53 pm
hilzoy (links in original):

Quote:
The two cases are different, and different in ways that ought to make McCain have to denounce Hagee a lot more than Obama had to denounce Farrakhan. Before Farrakhan ever announced his support for Obama, Obama was on record denouncing his views, and in particular his antisemitism. Obama did not solicit Farrakhan's support, appear with Farrakhan, or put out press releases announcing it.

If someone vile -- some white supremacist, for instance -- endorsed John McCain without McCain having solicited the endorsement, and after McCain had criticized that person extensively, that would be analogous to Farrakhan endorsing Obama. I think it would be insane to demand of politicians that they denounce anyone who endorses them under such circumstances. Perhaps if there were some unclarity about their views, a statement would be useful. But in a case in which it's perfectly clear that the candidate in question flatly disagrees with the person who has endorsed him, I can't see that that's necessary.

But Hagee's endorsement of McCain wasn't like that. McCain didn't just happen to be endorsed by Hagee; he appeared with Hagee at a joint press conference when that endorsement was made:

"I'm very honored by Pastor John Hagee's endorsement today," McCain said at a news conference. "He has been the staunchest leader of our Christian evangelical movement in many areas, but especially, most especially, his close ties and advocacy for the freedom and independence of the state of Israel."

That's very different.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 03:39 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
snood wrote:
So real life,

I think they are both bigots, form what I have heard of both. I think Farrakhan is a racist, but I don't have information about Hagee's views on other races. Even though I know you were just stirring shyt, that answer you?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 05:24 pm
snood wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
snood wrote:
So real life,

I think they are both bigots, form what I have heard of both. I think Farrakhan is a racist, but I don't have information about Hagee's views on other races. Even though I know you were just stirring shyt, that answer you?

Yes, that is a sufficient answer. Farrakhan is a racist -- on that we both agree -- but you don't know that Hagee is, and neither do I.

But your beef with Hagee is what exactly? That he thinks homosexuals are going to Hell? That he believes the Koran mandates muslims to kill Christians and Jews? What?

I guess I was stirring about has hard as you, huh?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 06:12 pm
Since McCain sings bomb bomb bomb Iran of course Hagee would endorse him. I think McCain knows that singing that song was the only way to get that endorsement. And of course what a friend Israel has in Hagee. "In "Jerusalem Countdown: A Prelude To war" Hagee has stated that Jews brought the Holocaust upon themselves by rebelling against God and that the Holocaust was God's way of forcing Jews to move to Israel where, Hagee predicts according to his interpretation of Biblical scripture, they will be mostly killed in the apocalyptic Mideast conflict Hagee's new lobbying group seems to be working to provoke and which John Hagee believes to be a necessary precondition for the "Rapture" that will lift Christians, but not Jews, bodily into Heaven to enjoy physical immortality amidst paradise." http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/48821/ "On July 19, 2006, at a CUFI's Washington DC inaugural event, with GOP Party head Ken Mehlman and US GOP Senators Sam Brownback, Rick Santorum, Kay Bailey-Hutchinson and John Cornyn in attendance ( President George W. Bush sent recorded greetings to the event ) , Pastor John Hagee declared :

"The United States must join Israel in a pre-emptive military strike against Iran to fulfill God's plan for both Israel and the West... a biblically prophesied end-time confrontation with Iran, which will lead to the Rapture, Tribulation [...] and [the] Second Coming of Christ." .

Hagee subsequently wrote, in a Charisma Magazine editorial entitled "The Coming Holy War", that the preemptive attack he advocates should be carried out with nuclear weapons." Holy sh!t.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 09:43 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
But your beef with Hagee is what exactly? That he thinks homosexuals are going to Hell? That he believes the Koran mandates muslims to kill Christians and Jews? What?

What about that he preached that Katrina was "the judgment of God"; that New Orleans was struck by Katrina because "New Orleans had a level of sin that was offensive to God, and they are--were recipients of the judgment of God for that"? That reason enough to have a beef with the guy?

Or what about how he held forth about how the Jews brought anti-semitism on themselves? He wrote that "the disobedience and rebellion of the Jews, God's chosen people, to their covenantal responsibility to serve only the one true God, Jehovah, [..] gave rise to the opposition and persecution that they experienced beginning in Canaan and continuing to this very day [..]. Their own rebellion had birthed the seed of anti-Semitism that would arise and bring destruction to them for centuries to come.... it rises from the judgment of God uppon his rebellious chosen people."

That enough reason to have a beef with the guy, similar to how you could have a beef with Farrakhan?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 10:01 pm
nimh wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

What about that he preached that Katrina was "the judgment of God"; that New Orleans was struck by Katrina because "New Orleans had a level of sin that was offensive to God, and they are--were recipients of the judgment of God for that"? That reason enough to have a beef with the guy?

Why would you have a beef with him for that? What do you find offensive: that he believes in god, or that he thinks God's wrath comes down on sinners?

Quote:
Or what about how he held forth about how the Jews brought anti-semitism on themselves? He wrote that "the disobedience and rebellion of the Jews, God's chosen people, to their covenantal responsibility to serve only the one true God, Jehovah, [..] gave rise to the opposition and persecution that they experienced beginning in Canaan and continuing to this very day [..]. Their own rebellion had birthed the seed of anti-Semitism that would arise and bring destruction to them for centuries to come.... it rises from the judgment of God uppon his rebellious chosen people."

Okay ... I understand not believing his position -- and I put the blame on the Holocaust more on Hitler and the Nazis myself -- but do you think he's an anti-semite? There's certainly evidence to the contrary. What's your primary concern?

Quote:
That enough reason to have a beef with the guy, similar to how you could have a beef with Farrakhan?

I have a beef with Farrakhan because he's a racist pig. Hagee, as far as I know, is not.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 11:37 pm
Either Ticomaya does not understand why there would be impatience to have a person of color or female rather than another white man in the office of POTUS, or he does understand, and is simply full of shyt.

I say he's full of shyt.

Either Ticomaya doesn't understand that people have a problem with Hagee because he blames the people in New Orleans for Katrina and the Jews for the holocaust; because he disparages Catholics and is openly bigoted toward homosexuals - or he does understand, and he is simply full of shyt.

I say he's full of shyt.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 11:44 pm
snood wrote:
Either Ticomaya does not understand why there would be impatience to have a person of color or female rather than another white man in the office of POTUS, or he does understand, and is simply full of shyt.

Oh, I understand your motivation, snood. I've understood your motivation for a long time now.

Quote:
Either Ticomaya doesn't understand that people have a problem with Hagee because he blames the people in New Orleans for Katrina and the Jews for the holocaust; because he disparages Catholics and is openly bigoted toward homosexuals - or he does understand, and he is simply full of shyt.

I asked you what your beef was, but you didn't answer. You think I should either "understand" or not.

I got a problem with someone who thinks Hagee is worse of a problem than Farrakhan.

Quote:
I say he's full of shyt.

Feeling's mutual, pal.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 11:52 pm
Quote:
I got a problem with someone who thinks Hagee is worse of a problem than Farrakhan.

Straw man. No one's said that.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 12:17 am
snood wrote:
And, even though I admit I've been flip about it here, I really am suprised at the silence about this from our GOP/conservative members. It can't be that they don't see the significance of this - I mean, if Obama/Farrakhan is significant, isn't McCain/Hagee?

What is all the obsession over here? First of all, I have never heard of Hagee, and I have not been a McCain supporter. Secondly, I don't really care who Hagee is? Thirdly, I am not aware that McCain attends Hagee's church, whatever it is.

And lastly, I am sure there are lots of people that endorse all the candidates that the candidates may not endorse in return. Here is the rub. What really matters is who the candidates endorse. Obama belongs to and apparently thinks his pastor is a great guy, I say apparently, as usually you belong to a church if you like the pastor, so apparently Obama endorses his pastor. The pastor is clearly a racist, period, now what does that say about Obama? I'm not sure entirely, as I have written here previously, Obama is a relative unknown, and we really know very little about what he believes or how he would govern. Let us just say his church is troubling to say the least.

In regard to Farrakhan, we know the guy is hate filled whacko, and apparently this Jeremiah Wright is just as whacked out.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/14/AR2008011402083.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

"Barak Obama is a member of Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ. Its minister, and Obama's spiritual adviser, is the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. In 1982, the church launched Trumpet Newsmagazine; Wright's daughters serve as publisher and executive editor. Every year, the magazine makes awards in various categories. Last year, it gave the Dr. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. Trumpeter Award to a man it said "truly epitomized greatness." That man is Louis Farrakhan."

Snood, to compare the relationship of this Hagee guy and McCain with Jeremiah Wright and Obama is I think a huge stretch. And to compare Hagee to Wright and Farrakhan is also a stretch, so it becomes a double stretch. Now that the Obama bandwagon is rolling along at a good clip, the Democrats will circle the wagons around this guy just like they did with the criminal Bill Clinton, no matter what might come out between now and November. No matter how unreasonable their argument may become, it will no longer matter to the blind leading the blind Obama supporters that have jumped on the bandwagon to lead them to the promised land.

I have largely ignored this Obama church business, but perhaps it warrants a serious examination. I am all for freedom of religion, and normally would not judge a candidate by his or her religion, but if that religion openly preaches very troubling politics, then it becomes a political issue.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 04:28 am
okie wrote:

What is all the obsession over here? First of all, I have never heard of Hagee, and I have not been a McCain supporter. Secondly, I don't really care who Hagee is...

You obviously choose to be pro-actively ignorant and have nothing to contribute to this topic. Why do you then have a compulsion to post on this thread?

How many times have you started a post with "I don't care about this topic and I know nothing about it but..." or words to that effect?

Your act is getting stale.

okie wrote:
I have never heard of Hagee...
Snood, to compare the relationship of this Hagee guy and McCain with Jeremiah Wright and Obama is I think a huge stretch. And to compare Hagee to Wright and Farrakhan is also a stretch...

LOL but you never heard of Hagee.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 10:03 am
Roxxxanne wrote:

LOL but you never heard of Hagee.

Laugh if you want, but I don't pay attention to those guys, so it is the truth, I hadn't heard of him, and I don't really care. I may have heard or seen his name mentioned, it sounds sort of familiar, but if so it was so vague in my mind that I can honestly say I haven't heard of the guy or know what he is about. I have just now listened to a u-tube speech of his about supporting Israel, which I don't disagree with. I am not in favor of the doing away with the nation of Israel, are you? I don't know about Wright or Farrakhan on that issue, but I would have my doubts about their support of Israel, thats for sure.

Does McCain belong to his church or endorse Hagee? I don't think so. I am sure McCain is glad to have all kinds of endorsements within reason. So my point still stands that there is not the same relationship between Hagee and McCain as there is between Obama and Jeremiah Wright.

All of that said, I am not sure that McCain is so wise to sidle too close to the Hagee types. This is clearly a campaign strategy to play the factions that he wants to vote for him, and it may be ill advised. Again, I am not a McCain supporter, although I may end up voting for him as the best choice I have, even though it is not close to what I would have preferred.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 10:17 am
Quote:
Jews and Hagee
03 Mar 2008 10:22 am

Gershom Gorenberg writes:

Quote:
But Jews should be joining Catholics on this one. If McCain were as pro-Israel as Hagee says he is, the candidate would want nothing to do with Hagee. You don't back a democracy by siding with someone who regards a handgun as the means to change policy. There is a certain dissonance between supporting a country and giving theological justifications for the murder of its elected leader. We don't even have to talk about Hagee's earnest hopes for war on Israeli soil, or his classic theological delegitimization of Judaism.

I completely agree, but of course it doesn't seem like it's going to be in the cards. It was about a year ago today that I found myself wondering why AIPAC was putting Hagee on a panel described as "Two eloquent voices from diverse backgrounds explore the history of U.S. involvement in the Middle East and how Americans from all faiths can find common cause in supporting Israel." It's certainly true that Hagee's group, Christians United for Israel, shows that Americans can support Israel for all sorts of reasons, ranging from concern for the welfare of the Jewish people to a desire to see Israel conquered by a Russo-Arab alliance in order to hasten the End Times, but sometimes the whole "big tent" concept can go too far.

Presumably what's happening is that we have a lot of snobs among the leaders of American Jewry who figure they can use and manipulate rednecks like Hagee. And maybe so. Still, it seems to me that in a country where we're a tiny minority group, it makes a lot more sense for American Jews to build alliances with non-Jews who aren't aiming at our short-term destruction.
http://matthewyglesias.theatlantic.com/
0 Replies