ARE YOU READY FOR SOME BASEBALL?

alex240101

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 09:39 am
I was looking at some of the pre draft players. I didn't see Johnny Bench, Steve Garvey, Al Kaline, or Reggie Jackson.

Question: Does one have to be present on draft day?

fbaezer-no more grease under the ball cap.(three championships)

Osso- I heard they serve calzones at the Metrodome.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 10:22 am
No need to be present on draft day (you can get a good team being absent, like Cyclo and Tico last year; and you can also make miserable picks being there but talking to somebody by the phone at the same time, like Pantalones did). But it kind of helps.

Cycloteam last year is a good example that you can be an absentee manager and not finish among the last places. If Cyclo had been more active during the season, who knows, he may have won.

Being active is not only fun, it helps your team a lot... as George and Rockhead knew last season.

oh, and I know now what fbaezer stands for: Fantasy Baseball Ace, Sir.
:wink:
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:27 pm
ossobuco wrote:
You only get two starting pitchers, eh? Oops, editing, I see there are three more besides the relief pitchers. You have to, no, should change them each day? Oh, woe is me, woe is me. Fiddle dee dee.

Back to my roster. This might be clearer if I actually checked into the league site. The automatic system comes with a roster and I can tweak it in some way, or... I can change the players? or I add all the players and it does the drafting?

You have 2 SP spots, into which you may only insert players who qualify at that position. Same for the RP (relief pitcher) spots. As to the other 3, they can be a mix of either RP or SP. Different managers have different theories on how to fill these spots, and sometimes you may want a different strategy depending upon your opponent.

You do NOT need to change them each day. Yahoo will allow you to look several days ahead to see which of your SP are scheduled to start on a given day. (This is not infallible, but is usually accurate.) Thus, for instance, on Monday you can look through say Thursday and set your lineups accordingly (e.g., a SP you have sitting on your bench on Tuesday can be moved into your starting lineup for his Wednesday start, etc.) Thus, daily checking is not required.

The "automatic" system comes with a Yahoo preselected draft ranking, and you are able to adjust that ranking prior to the draft. Thus, for instance, if you think Dan Uggla ought to be ranked higher than Chone Figgins, you can make that adjustment prior to the time of the draft. (Note: I think you are prevented from making any adjustments to the pre-draft rankings 45 minutes prior to the draft, so make your adjustments prior to then.)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:29 pm
osso, I think the 24 vs. 21 players on the roster reflects the DL. You only see players with DL (disabled list) next to their names if they are actually injured. Expect to have 21 guys on the roster but if you have an injured player some time during the season, you can pick up someone and not have to drop him until he's better. You can do this with (I believe) up to 3 players.

You don't need to make changes every day. You can make changes, say, once a week. Plus the entire season is out there. If you want, you can even make changes farther in advance, e. g. cover yourself for when your best guys have a scheduled day off. But keep in mind that injuries, roster changes and rescheduled rainouts can change that. But, for example, when we go to Cape Cod, I set my rosters before we leave and then hope for the best.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:45 pm
fbaezer wrote:
No need to be present on draft day (you can get a good team being absent, like Cyclo and Tico last year;

Looking at this years pre-draft rankings, 3 of the top 10 were on my team last year.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 01:01 pm
There was something different re utility player and fielding, Jespah, between the 24 and the 21, but no matter.

If I choose to go automatic and tweak, and click on that, I presume there is no going back to composing my own roster and then submitting that to the draft?

I'ma gonna read Jespah's notes and the yahoo notes again, mmm, after lunch and another cup of coffee.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 01:04 pm
alex240101 wrote:
I was looking at some of the pre draft players. I didn't see Johnny Bench, Steve Garvey, Al Kaline, or Reggie Jackson.

In lieu of Johnny Bench, may I suggest David Ross?
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 04:05 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Rockhead wrote:
Ima miss Chone Figgins... Rolling Eyes

I wouldn't worry too much about that. He'll sprain something and spend most of the season on the bench anyway.

In reality, he was first but I was stupid enough to pick Soriano first.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 08:19 am
ossobuco wrote:
There was something different re utility player and fielding, Jespah, between the 24 and the 21, but no matter.

If I choose to go automatic and tweak, and click on that, I presume there is no going back to composing my own roster and then submitting that to the draft?

I'ma gonna read Jespah's notes and the yahoo notes again, mmm, after lunch and another cup of coffee.

Hmm, I think there's a lot more flexibility than you may be reading into it. If you rank your preferred players, great. If you don't, that's also great. If you change your mind, just move the players around. If you want your selected players to just be selected in the order that Yahoo put them in, you can just put them back into numbered order.

In any event, none of this will matter much after the draft anyway. If you get players you don't want, check the unselected players, or look to trade.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 08:30 am
One (in his/her right mind) would think baseball was invented by the French, so totally boring. I think I need a refill on my latte.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 04:30 pm
Sorry, dys, the league seems to be full, despite your enthusiasm.

As I recall, by the way, about how the draft works: one of us will get to pick first followed by the other 11 of us (picked randomly). Then it moves down such that player 12 gets to make the 12th and 13th selection. Then it moves back up and player 1 gets to make the 24th and 25th selection. And on it goes.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 08:25 am
Hello league mates. Update from the training camp of the Bay Herons.
Gloves are well-oiled. Bats are freshly corked.
Called a few friends from around the country. Received insight on their teams players.
Been reading baseball section of the sports.
Manager is trying to rearrange schedule on Saturday, to be present at the draft.
Hope to see everyone Saturday.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 01:13 pm
Hi, alex. Sounds like you are doing your homework.

Unfortunately, it will do you no good against ... the Mighty Ticomaniacs.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/1029/arnoldbat1ca.jpg

Cower in fear.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 02:10 pm
Hello league mates. Update from the training camp of the Peameal Females.

My hair has been washed and set. I believe I'm ready for anything now.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 04:37 pm
Hello, League mates. Next to my desk is a nine inch stack of papers. Month end stuff for Feb. Year end stuff for 2007. Architectural plans and stuff. And somewhere in there are two pieces of of paper relating to Fantasy baseball. I have less than 48 hours to find them. They are key to my winning this thing this year.
I will be here live on Saturday. I'm gonna buy a 6-pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon, a box of Ritz crackers and a can of Cheez-whiz. A Saturday afternoon can't get any better than that!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 05:54 pm
Good evening, League mates and hello from the Puppies' Training Facility in Brighton, Massachusetts where I've been creating an extra-special low calorie blend of kibble mixed with mango salsa.

Plus I got to pet a nice Great Dane today.

I'm ready!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 01:06 pm
jespah wrote:
The areas where you are scored (it's a head to head league and we round-robin it, so one week you play me, another week you play RJB, etc. Once you've played everyone, it cycles through again. I think we get 3 or 4 cycles by the time the season ends):

Batting: Runs (R), Doubles (2B), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Caught Stealing (CS -- this is a negative stat; you want it to be low), Bases on Balls (BB -- also called walks), Strikeouts (K -- another negative stat), Average (AVG)

Pitching: Innings Pitched (IP), Wins (W), Complete Games (CG), Shutouts (SHO), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K -- here, it's a positive stat), Holds (HLD -- or, did the middle reliever hold the lead?), Earned Run Average (ERA -- a negative stat), Walks plus hits per inning pitched (WHIP -- another negative stat. If Ks are low and ERA is high, WHIP is also going to be higher), Blown Saves (BSV -- if there is no hold, a blown save usually goes with that. Of course this is a negative stat).

Questions?

Yep -- I've been all over the sight and can't find where the scoring is explained. Is there a link?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 01:32 pm
Tick, tick, tick. The order of the picking in the draft should come in about 15 minutes! Who is planning on attending live for all or part of it?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 01:36 pm
I'm there, looking it over right now.

Clicked the "enter live draft" button.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 01:51 pm
yep, I'll be there.
0 Replies