ARE YOU READY FOR SOME BASEBALL?

jespah

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 06:46 pm
A lil more info, stuff I forgot from earlier.

If you want to "watch" a game on your PC, here's a way to do it:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/gamechannel <-- since this one is through Yahoo, if you're signed in, it'll automatically highlight your players. Just refresh every now and then to see progress.

This link gives you scores but also gives you information on starters if you check a few days in advance: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/scoreboard?d=2008-03-06 (note the date in the url; either change the date in the url or click arrows to move from day to day).

Here's MLB's official calendar, again note the date in the url and change it as needed: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/index.jsp#20080306

MLB's take on Fantasy Baseball: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/preview/y2008/index.jsp

PS I realize I'm tossing out a lot of info here. You'll find that the first week or two are odd and perhaps a little bewildering. But it does get easier and Yahoo makes a real effort to make it easy and fun.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 08:54 pm
So we are up to 10 folks having registered on Yahoo. Ebeth is in as are the Bay Herons (Alex?) There is room is this league of a2k'ers for a couple of more players.
Please feel free to join us!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 08:56 pm
I'm comin', I'm comin', hold your socks.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 6 Mar, 2008 09:13 pm
Maporsche has expressed an interest in playing. Tico is working to reel him in. That, if JPB joins, would bring us up to 12.

If anyone else would like to join this game, where not many of us actually know anything about baseball, please let us know,
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 07:36 am
Hey, great Alex. Welcome aboard. Prepare to be defeated by the Ticomaniacs.

Hopefully my pitching will throw some red heat to the commando, and terminate. "He won't be back."
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 04:32 pm
JPB wrote:
I'm comin', I'm comin', hold your socks.

Maporsche has signed up as "Absolute Zero." Welcome! So we are up to 11 players. We need to end up at an even number.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 04:44 pm
I should be there now as the flying squirrels.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 05:12 pm
That is 12 which means we have a full house!

This is going to be one exciting season of A2K Fantasy baseball.

Let the trash talking begin...
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 05:21 pm
Indeed. Would you have a problem, jpinmilw, with increasing the league size to 14? There may not be any more folks interested, but if so, it would be nice to have room for them.
I still have a few trolls out.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 06:32 pm
I think I can increase the league size... however I think 12 is a pretty good size. Anything more and and good players get kind of hard to come by, there isn't much on the waiver wire, people get frustrated and stop playing.

But if there are still people that want to play, I'd be happy to increase the size. Let me know.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 06:49 pm
realjohnboy wrote:

I look to my left and see Jespah filing her nails. Her team, the Boston Puppies, will once again be loaded with players from the Red Sox.
Next is Tico and the Ticomaniacs. I have never met him but he knows a bit about sports and, I think, can throw an elbow if the need arises.
Pantalones rides Los Pinces Pantes out of Tijuana, Mexico. He, as I recall, will change his team's name periodically just to mess with us. Johnboy and his Rednecks are next. He is the kindest, most generous person here.
To the right is Osso aboard Dog Eared Southpaw. She pretends to be clueless, but it is an act. JPinMilw on Turftoe is the Commissioner here, but he seems to forget sometimes that you can't spend all of your time in the library studying. Next to him is Fbaezer on Cosmic Debris. He claims to be the winner of this game in earlier years. Could be, could not be. I don't care enough to check. And on the outside is George astride El Paso Gas. He claims to know a bit about baseball, but he is still in mourning about the Patriots.

Next in is ehbeth. There are a couple of snickers from the others here. She is a girl, and from Canada, and probably knows as little about sports as many of the rest of us. No problem with her.
Alex slips into the #10 slot here at the gate. No one here knows Alex. We eye him warily, not knowing what to expect from him.
JPB takes the 11th slot, elegantly attired with a straight back. But she has that whip tucked into her boot.
And then, on the far right in the #12 slot, is maprorsche. He, like Alex, is an unknown character in this race.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 06:57 pm
Okay, jpinmilw, I am happy with 12. I do have a couple of pm's out there still, but 12 looks good to me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 07:08 pm
"Next in is ehbeth. There are a couple of snickers from the others here. She is a girl, and from Canada, and probably knows as little about sports as many of the rest of us. No problem with her."

<he who snickers here is lost> quoting Dante Aligherieri
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 07:12 pm
Waiver wire? I see I'll be forced to read the directions. Soon, soon.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 07:46 pm
Ehem...

I dpn't "claim" I've won the 3 championships.

Look at my profile. See the throphies.

Now watch my avatar.
Yes. Keep on watching it.
Straight at my avatar's eyes.
You are now feeling sleepy.
Very sleepy.
Keep on watching it, I say!
Yes. Very good.
Your are feeling very sleepy.
Nice. Nice.
You notice I have a golden laurel crown. It's a sign of my superiority.
Now read and obey. Yes. Obey.
When you play against Cosmik Debris, you will bench your best players.
If it's the final game, for the first place, you will drop Alex Rodriguez, just as good ol' boy Tico did last season.
Nice. Good going.
You will not care if you are ahead on ERA, K or BB allowed: you will start some average dude who is likely to get whipped.
Good. OK.
You do that every time you play against Cosmik Debris.

Snip!

You can wake up now. You will not remember having read this post or having visited my profile.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 09:07 pm
fbaezer wrote:
If it's the final game, for the first place, you will drop Alex Rodriguez, just as good ol' boy Tico did last season.
Nice. Good going.
You will not care if you are ahead on ERA, K or BB allowed: you will start some average dude who is likely to get whipped.
Good. OK.
You do that every time you play against Cosmik Debris.

Confused
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 10:10 pm
OK, I'm going to go with a combo of automatic with my ranked picks, my ploy being to get into the game and watch how its done. (My first reaction on reading the info was that, hell, I don't have time for this. I'm not interested in following real life teams.) I take it I can't change anything from week to week if I do that? Or only with injuries?

Most of us know I'll get interested and follow real life teams, but I don't want to start out having to do that. Well, see, I may change my mind by draft day.

It looks like on Jespah's list there are 24 on the roster, but on the yahoo default hand to hand roster it says 21. The 24 overrides this, right?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 10:57 pm
Osso, for several years now I've wanted to draft my own team, but for one reason or another -- most recently my computer wouldn't handle the java at crunch time ... oh well -- I've had to let the computer draft for me. So, every fantasy team I've had here at A2K has been computer picked. Now, mind you, I had tweaked my rankings to reflect what I wanted it to look like prior to the draft. But computer drafted nonetheless. And last year the computer did very well by me. So, you might be very pleased with your strategy.

You will be able to change your lineup daily, if you want. You will have bench players, and you can move them into your starting lineup, and vice versa.

If you have a bench player who isn't producing in real life, you can drop him and pick up a free agent.

If someone else in the league drops a player, they go to the waiver wire for 2 days, at the end of which time, whomever has the highest waiver pick at the time (the computer keeps track of this) will get that player.

You will find yourself, I suspect, understanding baseball quite a bit better after this experience. And you will following real life baseball with interest.

Or, as has been said, you can just let your lineup pretty much stay in one place from week to week. The only tweaking you definitely ought to be doing on a daily basis or so, is rotating pitchers into and out of your starting lineup.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 11:03 pm
osso, if you want to be tweedle-dee I'll be tweedle-dum. We'll make a hell of a pair. hmmmm, maybe frick and frack would be better than the tweedle sisters....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Mar, 2008 11:32 pm
Urggggh, I represent the cellar of tweedley dumbness.

You only get two starting pitchers, eh? Oops, editing, I see there are three more besides the relief pitchers. You have to, no, should change them each day? Oh, woe is me, woe is me. Fiddle dee dee.

Back to my roster. This might be clearer if I actually checked into the league site. The automatic system comes with a roster and I can tweak it in some way, or... I can change the players? or I add all the players and it does the drafting?

Ok, ok, I'll look at the league tomorrow.

Thanks all.

You'll all be surprised when the Paws beat the Sox off ya...
0 Replies