ARE YOU READY FOR SOME BASEBALL?

alex240101

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 06:00 pm
Nice to meet you, officially, realjohnboy.
I've never participated in any fantasy league. Some friends at work play fantasy football, so, I have some clue.
Looking forward to spring baseball. Batter up!!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 06:52 pm
Alex, do you want an invite? We definitely have the room. RJB, sending you an invite now.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 06:56 pm
PS My error, I can't see how to do an invite.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 09:36 pm
Hi, Alex. I, alas, have not been able to register my team with Yahoo. They keep asking for the league name and ID# and no one here will give that to me.
Folks here know that I am no good at this, but what they fear is this. My team is the Rappin' Rednecks. They know and dread my writing, the rap that will ATTACK them and include references to WHACK, IRAQ, and BARRACK; writing so bad that it will indeed cause this PACK to SACK me and never allow me BACK.
They are are tough crowd. Watch them. ACK!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 09:49 pm
jespah wrote:
PS My error, I can't see how to do an invite.

I don't see the "invite" function either.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 10:13 pm
Okay, you're looking at the dogeared southpaws. Their manager will read more tomorrow on that list of things to pay attention to, to the right of the page. (What the hell did I get myself into? I'll try not to bunt.)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 11:06 pm
Well it took a lot of patient guidance from Tico but eventually I, like a stubborn and not too bright race horse, am in the starting gate.

I look to my left and see Jespah filing her nails. Her team, the Boston Puppies, will once again be loaded with players from the Red Sox.
Next is Tico and the Ticomaniacs. I have never met him but he knows a bit about sports and, I think, can throw an elbow if the need arises.
Pantalones rides Los Pinces Pantes out of Tijuana, Mexico. He, as I recall, will change his team's name periodically just to mess with us. Johnboy and his Rednecks are next. He is the kindest, most generous person here.
To the right is Osso aboard Dog Eared Southpaw. She pretends to be clueless, but it is an act. JPinMilw on Turftoe is the Commissioner here, but he seems to forget sometimes that you can't spend all of your time in the library studying. Next to him is Fbaezer on Cosmic Debris. He claims to be the winner of this game in earlier years. Could be, could not be. I don't care enough to check. And on the outside is George astride El Paso Gas. He claims to know a bit about baseball, but he is still in mourning about the Patriots.

Eight of us in so far. Alex? Region? Ehbeth? Liontamerex?
And anyone else. Please invite us to send you an invite to join the league.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 04:38 am
I'll post some info (I'll have to get it together) as a crash course on how to do this. Without giving away the store, of course. Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 11:21 am
I sent a pm to jpin last night.

Hopefully there's an invite somewhere?

and instructions?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 01:19 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I sent a pm to jpin last night.

Hopefully there's an invite somewhere?

and instructions?

Hey ehbeth... you got it already didn't you? I sent out the invite right away. If not I'll send it again.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 01:56 pm
I don't know if Alex can pm or not.... he might not be able to contact JP.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 02:09 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I don't know if Alex can pm or not.... he might not be able to contact JP.

I PM'd Alex's info to JP yesterday, osso.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 04:59 pm
How about your buddy Rockhead, Tico? Does he follow baseball?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 05:48 pm
Hey RJB, let me introduce myself...

I'm the mean guy that nobody knew from way back when...(Wreckin' Crew, Revolvers...)

RH

(but I can't play this time, I'm going camping for a while, and won't have civilized electronics available much.)
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 06:26 pm
I p.m.'d my e-mail address to j.p. Ossobuco, jespah, Ticomaya, thank you.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 06:42 pm
I reckon I knew that, Rockhead. Sorry you won't be able to play this year. Perhaps you could structure your team such that it could be pretty much on auto-pilot while you are away.

The draft is scheduled for Saturday, March 15th in the mid-afternoon ET. Yall may recall you can participate live on Yahoo or you can allow their churning computers to fill you roster with the highest available players. I don't know how that works because I prefer to make my own stupid picks. So I will be there live.

On the Yahoo message board there was an exchange between fbaezer and jpinmilw about the categories we are scored on. Our teams' hits has apparently been dropped because it very closely correlates to our teams' batting average. Makes sense.
Taking its place is some pitching stat that I don't understand. An explanation would help.

This year I am serious about being competitive. I have my first 16 draft picks locked in! The Rednecks will rock this year (although I may have said that every year in both baseball and football).
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 06:45 pm
RJB, It's just not the same if I can't reload my guys every week....

You guys have fun, and I should be stable in time to kick yer asses at football.

RH
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 06:55 pm
A point well taken, RH. A competitive game player wants to be in the game 100% (although in my case I know little about sports and don't want to learn more).
Where are you going camping?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 07:11 pm
EhBeth and other new folks -- this is gonna be long.

This is Yahoo Fantasy Baseball 101 -- if you already know these things, my apologies. I hope this is helpful information to someone.

The live online draft is set for Sat Mar 15 4:15pm EDT. But you don't have to be there. Instead, you can rank your desired players, here: http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/161608/draft
That page defaults to only showing the top 25 or so players overall. But you need to have men in all positions and there are a lot more than 25 players out there. You can select for position and number of players you want to see and choose from there.

Yahoo ranks players, and most of their rankings are good. But you might want to look at a few other sites for a mix of information. E. g. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/?cnn=yes,
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/index and/or http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/homepage/narrowband.jsp

Here are some of Yahoo's main rankings to get you started:
Top 5 batters overall:
Álex Rodríguez (NYY - 3B) He's been #1 for a few years now
Hanley Ramírez (Fla - SS)
José Reyes (NYM - SS)
Albert Pujols (StL - 1B)
David Wright (NYM - 3B)

Top 5 pitchers:
Johan Santana (NYM - SP) Cy Young Winner
Jake Peavy (SD - SP)
Erik Bedard (Sea - SP)
Josh Beckett (Bos - SP) Was robbed of a Cy Young last year
Brandon Webb (Ari - SP)

Top 5 relief pitchers:
J.J. Putz (Sea - RP)
Jonathan Papelbon (Bos - RP)
Joe Nathan (Min - RP)
Francisco Rodríguez (LAA - RP)
Takashi Saito (LAD - RP)

Top 5 catchers:
Víctor Martínez (Cle - C,1B)
Russell Martin (LAD - C)
Joe Mauer (Min - C)
Brian McCann (Atl - C)
Jorge Posada (NYY - C)

Top 5 first basemen:
Albert Pujols (StL - 1B)
Prince Fielder (Mil - 1B)
Ryan Howard (Phi - 1B)
David Ortiz (Bos - 1B)
Mark Teixeira (Atl - 1B)

Top 5 second basemen:
Chase Utley (Phi - 2B)
Brandon Phillips (Cin - 2B)
B.J. Upton (TB - 2B,OF)
Brian Roberts (Bal - 2B)
Chone Figgins (LAA - 2B,3B,OF) See all of the letters after his name? He can actually be plugged in to play any of these positions. Very useful at times ...

Top 5 third basemen:
Álex Rodríguez (NYY - 3B)
David Wright (NYM - 3B)
Miguel Cabrera (Det - 3B) Not to be confused with Melky Cabrera, a different guy
Ryan Braun (Mil - 3B)
Aramis Ramírez (ChC - 3B)

Top 5 shortstops:
Hanley Ramírez (Fla - SS)
José Reyes (NYM - SS)
Jimmy Rollins (Phi - SS)
Derek Jeter (NYY - SS)
Troy Tulowitzki (Col - SS) He was a rookie last year

Top 5 outfielders:
Matt Holliday (Col - OF)
Alfonso Soriano (ChC - OF)
Carl Crawford (TB - OF)
Grady Sizemore (Cle - OF)
Carlos Beltrán (NYM - OF)

You should also look at these pages to get information on players:
http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/161608/injuries
http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/161608/players
http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/161608/research

The roster positions you have to fill are: 2 catchers, 1 first baseman, 1 second baseman, 1 third baseman, 1 shortstop, 3 outfielders, 1 utilityman (this can be a batter in any position), 2 starting pitchers, 2 relief pitchers, 3 pitchers (these can be either starters or relievers and 5 bench positions (any position).

Plus there are 2 DL slots but they are only available if you have someone officially listed by Yahoo as being on the Disabled List. Yahoo sometimes takes a day or two after Major League Baseball announces an injury, so sometimes there's a delay. Check the news. If an injury is only going to keep someone out for a week or two, or the player is otherwise truly exceptional (someone like A-Rod) and they aren't going to be out for the rest of the year, keep 'em. If not, drop them and pick up someone else on the waiver wire.

The areas where you are scored (it's a head to head league and we round-robin it, so one week you play me, another week you play RJB, etc. Once you've played everyone, it cycles through again. I think we get 3 or 4 cycles by the time the season ends):

Batting: Runs (R), Doubles (2B), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Caught Stealing (CS -- this is a negative stat; you want it to be low), Bases on Balls (BB -- also called walks), Strikeouts (K -- another negative stat), Average (AVG)

Pitching: Innings Pitched (IP), Wins (W), Complete Games (CG), Shutouts (SHO), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K -- here, it's a positive stat), Holds (HLD -- or, did the middle reliever hold the lead?), Earned Run Average (ERA -- a negative stat), Walks plus hits per inning pitched (WHIP -- another negative stat. If Ks are low and ERA is high, WHIP is also going to be higher), Blown Saves (BSV -- if there is no hold, a blown save usually goes with that. Of course this is a negative stat).

For batting, of course you want hitters. Real-life teams also like their fielders to be able to catch and throw balls, and tag out runners, plus they may want locker room leaders. You don't care one whit about that. You just want them to be hitting the ball or drawing a walk and then moving around the bases, preferably via steals. A grand slam home run is a festival of good stats: it's 1 R (it may be more if your hitter is batting in other hitters that you have), 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 0 CS, 0 K and it helps the hitter's average.

For pitching, you need a mix. Every real life team has five or so starters, and they are easily divided into #1, #2 etc. You'll know who's #1 because he'll usually start their first game, then #2 starts the second game, etc. but there can be exceptions such as for the Red Sox and the Dodgers this year because they're starting their season in Japan. But look at the team's own page and you'll figure out who's the ace and who just barely made it to the fifth spot in the rotation.

Keep in mind that an ace on a bad team can be hampered by his teammates. If he gets a lot of Ks, great, but any time he lets the ball go into play, or a man gets to first (on a BB, or perhaps for some other reason like a balk), the ace is at the mercy of fielders who might not catch balls well or be quick to tag runners. So yeah, you care about fielder defense -- but only in the context of whether it can help your pitcher. For pitchers, the best is the perfect game, but those are rare. More common (although still only once or so a year) is a no-hitter. That one has 9 IP, 1 W, 1 CG, usually 1 SHO, up to 27 Ks (technically if there are 27 Ks, it would be a perfect game), a 0.00 ERA, and a close to 0.00 WHIP. There are no holds and no saves because the starter would stay in for the entire game (usually). There is such a thing as a combined no-hitter (a team recently had something like 4 or 5 pitchers combine for a no-hitter), but that's pretty rare. Unless a pitcher is really tired or somehow got hurt, a manager is going to leave in any pitcher who's got a no-hitter going, particularly if the no-hitter has gone deep, e. g. into the 6th inning or beyond.

Ranking your dream players is helpful if you can't make it to the draft. While Yahoo has a good system in place, if you just let the computer pick, you might not be happy with its choices. Plus, the top 25 or so players list is dominated by 3rd basemen and shortstops. You may or may not want two of each but if there's a pitcher or a catcher you really want, you should do some manual ranking in order to jigger the odds. Note that if you end up with 8 catchers, you're going to have a big problem, because there are only 2 playing catcher positions and 5 bench positions. What happens to the 8th catcher? Essentially, he can never be played -- you'd have to drop him. I wouldn't recommend dominating your bench with one position or another. You probably want to spread that around. Keep in mind that there are days when teams don't play, so you might need a second shortstop. But you probably don't need five of them.

Speaking of days off, try not to have one real-life team dominate your squad. We joke about me picking a lot of Red Sox, and I usually do, but I don't select only them, because if I did, I can't get any points when they have a day off. You might want to mix it up. As for which teams, or whether to just stay in one league, those are your decisions. Starting Pitchers, of course, do not pitch every day. They go in five-man rotations and so you can usually get an idea of when someone will be starting, even before they're announced to be starting a particular game. But an injury on the real-life squad, even when it's not to your guy, can throw a wrench in that. So look at the news and confirm. Once play begins, you can't bench someone who's playing.

Trades -- you can trade with anyone in the group. If you have six catchers, you might want to jettison a few. There may or may not be a taker among your fellow managers. Trades don't have to be even, e. g. you can trade two players for one, for example, but your roster will have to be adjusted accordingly. You can also quietly grab people from the waiver wire. We have a small league so, by definition, there are a lot of rather good players who, at any time, won't be playing for any of us.

Here are some other Yahoo links that might be of interest:
http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/161608/favorablematchups
http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/161608/tools
http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/161608/matchup?week=1&mid1=5&mid2=8 (this is just the first week matchup link; the second week's matchup link will be different)
http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/161608/5/playerswatch
http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/161608/5 (roster)
http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/161608/5/editteaminfo
http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/161608/tradingblock
http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/161608/settings

Questions?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2008 07:15 pm
Ima miss Chone Figgins... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies