The UN, US and Iraq IV

hobitbob

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 12:45 pm
I was wrong, they didn't get to keep the money:
[URL=It's not about stealing oil.]Slovenia is not SLovakia[/URL]
US mistakenly adds peaceniks to war list

March 28 2003 at 09:38AM

Ljubljana - The United States has mistakenly named Slovenia as a partner in its war against Iraq - and even offered it a share of the money budgeted for the conflict.

One day after hundreds of Slovenians hit the streets to protest the inclusion of their nation in the US war budget, Prime Minister Anton Rop said Washington had goofed.

"When we asked for an explanation, the State Department told us we were named in the document by mistake as we are not a member of the coalition against Iraq," Rop told a hastily arranged news conference.

Slovenia was one of the states named in the $75-billion US war budget, which must be approved by Congress and includes grants to partners in the US-led military action. Slovenia was slated to get $4,5-million from the budget, which Rop said will not be forthcoming.

"We are a part of no such coalition. We are a part of a coalition for peace," Rop said.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 12:46 pm
At the "Interim Coalition Stability Operations Conference", in May, both Slovenia and Slovakia took part.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 12:48 pm
Walter:

Did Russia, Germany, and France profit from the 12 years of sanctions against Iraq?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 12:50 pm
perception,

The US made a profit on Gulf War 1 by some calculations. Yet that is not indicative of nefarious US motives.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 12:51 pm
Tit for tat, that makes it okay for the Bush family to heavily profit from it's war!
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 12:56 pm
Craven wrote:

perception,

The US made a profit on Gulf War 1 by some calculations. Yet that is not indicative of nefarious US motives.

HuH?----Shouldn't you be addressing this to Walter?
Confused
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 01:03 pm
No perception. I am addressing it to you. The US made a profit from Gulf War I. Does that serve as an indictment of the US?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 01:39 pm
Craven Wrote:

No perception. I am addressing it to you. The US made a profit from Gulf War I. Does that serve as an indictment of the US?

No--most certainly not----still puzzled
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 01:40 pm
I agree with the "certainly not" part. Why do you seek to indict the UN over lesser matters then?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 01:47 pm
perception

In 2000, Iraqi Trade Minister Mohammed Mahdi Saleh was using the same accusations against the UN as you did - althought he blamed "a US-British intention to take advantage of the Iraqi situation." (source: Agence France Presse June 8, 2000)
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 01:51 pm
Craven

Because they are supposed to be an organization to benefit the poor people of the world through sound and transparent management. Without transparency there can be no accountability and without accoutability there will very little credibility.

They won't open their books---why not?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 01:54 pm
perception wrote:
Craven

Because they are supposed to be an organization to benefit the poor people of the world through sound and transparent management. Without transparency there can be no accountability and without accoutability there will very little credibility.

They won't open their books---why not?

Are you speaking about the UN? The United Nations, an organisation to benefit poor people?

DID YOU EVER HAVE HAD LOOK AT THE UN-CHARTA?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 01:56 pm
I don't know why they don't open their books or even whether that is an issue.

Sound and transparent management is a lofty ideal that I have yet to see realized on that scale, by the US, UN or anyone else.

Credibility is obviously in the eye of the beholder here. Political inclination is directly proportionate to the perceived credibility and relevance of the UN these days.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 01:56 pm
Walter wrote:

In 2000, Iraqi Trade Minister Mohammed Mahdi Saleh was using the same accusations against the UN as you did - althought he blamed "a US-British:

Walter excuse me if I scoff at what any member of Saddams regime had to say-----was Baghdad Bob reliable?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 01:58 pm
perception,

Walter's point was not that Iraq was reliable but that the accusation you level at the UN might be a situation in which mismanagement is capitalized upon for political purposes. In Iraq's case to malign the US and in yours to undermine the UN.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 02:06 pm
one's perception is almost always based on one's agenda.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 02:10 pm
Oh I don't mind being accused of undermining the UN---I see them as a bunch of pigs at the trough and the UN charter in my humble opinion is a colossal disaster full of idealistic mumbo jumbo with not one ounce of muscle to accomplish anything.

You sound as though I have an obligation to be loyal to the UN----I think not.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 02:13 pm
myopic of you dyslexia Cool
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 02:13 pm
perception wrote:
Oh I don't mind being accused of undermining the UN---I see them as a bunch of pigs at the trough and the UN charter in my humble opinion is a colossal disaster full of idealistic mumbo jumbo with not one ounce of muscle to accomplish anything.

You sound as though I have an obligation to be loyal to the UN----I think not.

Perhaps the answer lies not in muscle, but in heart. I fail to understand the far-right's creed that the only proper answer to anything is to kill it, destroy it, or enslave it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 02:14 pm
perception wrote:
Oh I don't mind being accused of undermining the UN---I see them as a at the trough and the UN charter in my humble opinion is a colossal disaster full of idealistic mumbo jumbo with not one ounce of muscle to accomplish anything.

Quote:

THE death of Sergio Vieira de Mello, distinguished Brazilian diplomat and special representative of the UN Secretary General in Baghdad, in a bomb attack in the Iraqi capital and more than 20 UN aids has shocked the world.

"bunch of pigs" doesn't sound quite nice just a few days after these murders.
0 Replies