Walking On Carpeting With Bare Feet

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 06:11 am
I know many people who take their shoes off, and walk on their carpeting in their bare feet. The rationale is that (especially if it is a light colored carpet) that the floors will be kept cleaner that way.

NOT! I once spoke to a carpet store owner, and he said that walking on carpet in bare feet is the WORST thing that you can do. The oils from your feet are ground into the carpet, which makes it prone to pick up even MORE dirt.

If you are really concerned about keeping your carpets clean, I would suggest that you keep a pair of slippers or a pair of shoes that you only wear indoors, right inside the entrance to your house!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 30,637 • Replies: 138
No top replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 06:44 am
Aaarrrgh!!,...I really hate "Don't walk on the carpet" situations,...why have it then???,...
It's like mom's good china,...there still hasn't been company important enough to use it for!!!!!

Or my aunt with the plastic covers on her furniture.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 06:59 am
JerryR- Many years ago, I had a neighbor who was very concerned about her furniture. So concerned, that her husband and kids were not allowed in the living room. It was for "company"! Rolling Eyes I do believe that subsequently, they divorced. (I wonder why? Laughing )

When I was a teenager, my rich aunts would buy me a place setting of sterling silver. I have service for about 14, which I have used about 5 times in my whole life.

When I moved to Florida, I said "the hell with it", and decided to use the silver every day. The first time that I used the silver, my husband put a teaspoon in his tea. He picked it up and put it into his mouth, and yelled. He then informed me that silver was a coductor of heat (he burned his mouth with the spoon) and told me never to use it again!

My gorgeous silverware is now sitting, alone and unloved, and gathering tarnish by the day! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 07:31 am
Uh-oh
Embarrassed

I like the way the carpet feels on my feet. I'm nearly always barefoot.

I do object (mildly and to myself) when dirty boots track in... but I had a commercial grade carpet installed since we have large dogs who are allowed to roam at will and I love those people who wear the boots.

I have coir mats and long entrance rugs that (hopefully) pick up most of the dirt.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 07:32 am
What are we saving the carpets etc. for? Why we're waiting for them to be sold at auction of course. I used to go to a lot of estate sales. My mother used to be so upset when I came home with stacks of beautiful linens that I'd bought for very small amounts of money - some had clearly been packed away in cedar chests for decades (one pile came from a chest that hadn't been unpacked since about 1905). The lesson I learned is to use the d@mn stuff. If I'm not going to use something, I give it to someone who will.

One particular auction featured a lot of Waterford - no one wanted it - they were selling it 6 stems at a time, for about $10 - 20 canajun, for the lot. Someone had clearly taken care of it for many years, now no one wanted to. I have a beautiful, heavy, crystal whisky decanter that i keep my mouthwash in. I think it was about $2 (if that). Most of my large area rugs are wool rugs that I got at auction or Goodwill for less than $20.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 07:34 am
Bummer about your husband not liking the silver. We like to use our silver (plate) because it has a smooth feeling. Maybe you ought to try the silver again with your husband? It is a mild learning curve, after all. Do not immediately place spoon in mouth after stirring hot tea.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 07:36 am
Oh Bethie, I'd like to go to estate sales wit you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 09:34 am
Ain't that the truth, ehBeth? I do that with clothes, too -- find a beautiful 1920's silk kimono in perfect condition for $5 and just wear it around the house. I'm nice to furniture, but otherwise I like to get really nice things, cheap, and treat them as if they cost how much I paid for them, if you follow.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 10:05 am
Phoenix

I am disconsolate regarding the carpet information. I too had understood that bare skin functioned to keep a carpet showroom new. But feet, having such meagre surface area, seemed an inefficient way to achieve this end and so I had my partner slide around on her tummy on cleaning day.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 10:32 am
<snort>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 11:43 am
Piffka wrote:
<snort>

and the same from the middle of the continent

<snort>
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 12:42 pm
That's interesting Phoenix. I never knew that. I never wear shoes around the house, but I usually have on a pair of socks and slippers in the winter. I do take good care of my things, but never to the extent that I make myself or anyone else uncomfortable. I'd rather replace something than to baby it all the time.

I want in on that estate sale shopping spree. I spend lots of time on ebay getting great stuff cheap ;-)
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 02:28 pm
I despise carpeted floors.Smooth wood all over in our apartment.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 06:19 pm
Do you snort at me, sir?
I do snort.
Yes, but do you snort at me, sir?

Before anyone dies from a sword passing under a friend's arm, let me clairify that I have never at any time had a partner doing carpet maintenance in the fashion suggested. This also holds true for linoleum surfaces.

As that matter is now settled to my satisfaction, might I note a Woody Allen line from early stand up days..."My parents values are God and carpets."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 07:12 pm
blatham wrote:
let me clairify that I have never at any time had a partner doing carpet maintenance in the fashion suggested. This also holds true for linoleum surfaces. "

how about wood flooring? ( it kinda makes sense :wink: )
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 07:14 pm
ehBeth

Well, what the heck do you think 'buffing' means?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 07:32 pm
<snort>
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 07:49 pm
A gruff coastal moose could snort no better than yourself, my dear.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 08:02 pm
Dear God, should I despise my carpeting and love my wood floors, buffed or no, barefooted or shod?

Oh lord, let me learn to be fight my prejudices and give all fair play.

Provide me carpets in the soft rooms and wood planks in the hard. Bring Linoleum, and yea even Pergo, into those rooms that are wet.

And force no one to clean in the buff, except in preference thereto.

For thine is the flooring and the walls and the ceiling above.
Amen
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 08:04 pm
there's a good reason they call me SnortySpice
0 Replies