Datin A Women who's Husband Died recently

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 12:51 am
BLINKY17 wrote:
well i wanted to thank everyone so far with there responses, however i would like to get a few more, ive been told by a friend that i should actually sit down and talk to her and kinda explain my feelings, so that it would be easier in the long run, any ideas here?

Absolutely not....nothing beyond "I like hanging out with you".
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 01:25 am
I agree with Hawkeye on this one - under no circumstances do you ever tell a woman you 'like' her a great deal more than she likes you.

A woman must come to realise that she likes you as much as you like her (or that she likes you even a bit more than you like her).

You can chase as hard as you like, flirt, romance her etc - just realise that in the end it is the woman who makes the choice (to hook up, to have sex etc)...and telling her you have strong feelings for her when she doesn't have the same for you, takes away that choice, and makes them uncomfortable around you too.

Romance films have a lot to answer for Laughing

As a suggestion - despite really liking this woman, I think it would be a good idea to date other women while you are chasing her. It will give you a better perspective of what you want, it will help you focus on her when you are with her, and if she doesn't choose you, then your day still offers things to do, beautiful women to keep company with -conversation and life to be had..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:20 am
BLINKY17 wrote:
i just really fear falling into that friend zone, if i never step up to ask her ona date,

I know this does happen sometimes but I think it's one of those man-myths -- things guys tell each other that aren't necessarily true. Several of the most lasting relationships I know started out as friends. Like, friends for years first before falling in love.

In this situation especially I don't think it's something you should worry about too much. She recently lost a husband and probably needs time. Probably but not definitely more time than she's had.

If you want a relationship with her, I think you would be well-served to follow her cues. She'll probably let you know if she's ready for something.

The big problem here is that she might not be ready for something ever. What would you think about that? What if you're friends for a year and nothing has happened yet?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 10:31 am
Let's back up a second...

BLINKY17 wrote:
so i recently started going to a grief class where i met her and we have since hit it off pretty well, we speak via email and phone calls couple times a week and last night we met for a 2nd time, which is where my question comes into play, when she entered class last night, she gave me a kiss on cheek and deep long hug, followed by holding hands during the class,

I'm a bit confused. You met at a grief class, started communicating by email and phone after the first class, recently met for a second time at the same class and she was the one to come forward and give you a hug, hold your hand, etc. Is that it? If so, are these classes weekly or monthly? I guess I'm asking how much connecting was done by phone and email between these two meetings? A couple times a week for how many weeks?

On the surface of it I'd say she sees you as a lifeline. At seven months she's probably able to accept the permanence of her husband's death and is possibly beginning to look outward and you provided a ready shoulder and ear.

BLINKY17 wrote:
we talked about maybe going out with kids and she invited me to her parents house for dinner and to hang out, we also have talked about me visiting her in her hometown where she lived with her husband,

Is she living with her parents now or is she inviting you home to meet mom and dad in the traditional sense? These are two different things. If she's living with them then she's inviting you to come for dinner and hang out with her which just happens to be where her parents live. If she's in her own place (doesn't sound like it) and is inviting you to meet the folks then she's sending some pretty strong signals. I'm thinking it's the former in which case it sounds quite casual. The, "Let me show you where I used to live with my husband" scenario sounds more like she'd like to go back to deal with some ghosts and would like you to be there for her while she does so (lifeline again).

BLINKY17 wrote:
so anyway im just trying to get some ideas of what my steps could be, i really dont wanna marry her anytime soon, but i would like to have some type of romantic relationship ( and no its not the sex, i want everything from cuddling to kissing to just having that person you love and can tell stuff too), so idk ... im just not sure what step to go in.

This is where you lose me. You want to become emotionally involved (perhaps even marry) a recently widowed woman who is 12 years your senior, will always be 12 years your senior, has two small children who won't stay small -- they'll become snarly adolescents before you know what's hit you, and is still actively grieving the loss of her husband (she wouldn't be in a grief class otherwise). A woman you've met twice.

CHILL OUT! There's no way you can know that her current feelings for you (I'm not saying she doesn't have any - she obviously does) are based on loneliness and loss (rebound) or based on who you are as a person. Not that you aren't a hell of a guy, but you're doing both of you a disservice by thinking in terms of a future. I'd encourage you to be there for her in her current reality but to put aside any thoughts you have of next steps.

Rockhead wrote:
Her world is so different from yours, that the only place it can really meet, is a quick fix for you both...

I will follow this, but you are on parallel planes that do not mix long term.

Precisely.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 10:43 am
vikorr wrote:
I agree with Hawkeye on this one - under no circumstances do you ever tell a woman you 'like' her a great deal more than she likes you.

A woman must come to realise that she likes you as much as you like her (or that she likes you even a bit more than you like her).

You can chase as hard as you like, flirt, romance her etc - just realise that in the end it is the woman who makes the choice (to hook up, to have sex etc)...and telling her you have strong feelings for her when she doesn't have the same for you, takes away that choice, and makes them uncomfortable around you too.

Romance films have a lot to answer for Laughing

As a suggestion - despite really liking this woman, I think it would be a good idea to date other women while you are chasing her. It will give you a better perspective of what you want, it will help you focus on her when you are with her, and if she doesn't choose you, then your day still offers things to do, beautiful women to keep company with -conversation and life to be had..

There's a bunch of stuff in here that is simply wrong on a number of levels. I don't think it would be very helpful to BLINKY for me to pick it apart so I'll simply say that I disagree -- with all of it except the part about trying to date other women. Preferably women who aren't in the same grief class.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 03:13 pm
Why on earth would it not be helpful JPB. I'm in fact rather interested in what you have to say. Differing points of view are always useful (even if we don't recognise it as such at the time).
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 03:31 pm
vikorr, BLINKY is in a unique situation and your suggestions are given as general considerations. I disagree with them in general and most definitely as they apply to BLINKY's circumstance. This isn't the place and now is not the time.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 03:35 pm
I am thinking that this is a short term need fulfillment transaction, not a mutual connection of the heart. Talking about feelings and the future would mess this up.

I do mostly agree with Vikorr, except to say as women have become in general more masculine this is less so today then it once was. Still, a man being out in front on emotions is leading with his feminine side, and unless he is looking for a masculine woman this is a bad idea. She will react poorly to it, the fact that the man is acting feminine is what the woman will become uncomfortable with if she had any thoughts that the guy was boy friend material. He might still be friend material, on par with her girl friends.
0 Replies

BLINKY17

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 05:29 pm
i agree with what you all are saying, i always over think stuff, but as far as kids/age diff/ etc goes, i have no problem with any of it, im 23 but i want kids, marraige, etc etc, so its not a problem, but i guess it would be easier to just relax, see her when i can and then let what ever happens, happen ... now onto a few follow ups.

1. she lives part time at her parents house and part time at her house(which she shared with her husband) there about 2 hours apart

2. she wants me to come over her parents house and hang out and meet her parents n stuff. also there talk about me going to her house 2 hours away and hanging out

3. grief class is held every 2 weeks, but there was a gap of about a month from seeing her as she missed 1 class and there was a 3 week difference in the following class. but we did share emails n phone calls during that time.

to sum it all up, i wanna be there for her, but i feel like i would like something long term in a romantic sense, but if it 1 year away then fine, but i just dont wanna mess up.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 12:19 am
Quote:
vikorr, BLINKY is in a unique situation and your suggestions are given as general considerations. I disagree with them in general and most definitely as they apply to BLINKY's circumstance. This isn't the place and now is not the time.

Hi JPB, yes much of it was general consideration, and that doesn't discount the value to Blinky, should he find value in it.

You are welcome to disagree with any of my suggestions - such things are always able to be viewed from many perspectives.

I would disagree with here and now not being the place and time - differing perspectives on such can be very useful - but the decision to explain your point of view is of course up to yourself.

By the way Blinky, I do agree with JPB that it most likely isn't healthy to pursue a relationship with this woman just yet, but that is only my rather uninformed opinion. That said, good luck with any road you choose.
0 Replies

BLINKY17

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 02:24 pm
ok.....
0 Replies

BLINKY17

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:29 pm
so ive tried to keep things ont he d/l a little, i spoke to her for a few mins last night and shockingly to myself, she had her son say goodnight/hello to me lol, it was so adorable hearing him say my name lol. awww
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 08:33 pm
Blinky, you need ta be careful.

Getting the kids involved makes things much tougher, and may not be playing fair....

RH
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 09:29 pm
you're not kidding.
don't know her motives but they're suspect, deliberate or not.
0 Replies

BLINKY17

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 09:43 pm
which means? i mean its not like i got money or anything , her family is pretty well off from what i know, idk ... all i know is she is a nice lady, her kids sound nice, ive yet to meet them and ima just sit back and see what happens, im either gonna have an awesome life time friendship or ima get more then i could have imagined and be happy
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 09:44 pm
Or you're gonna get hurt...

(hopin' for the best, however)
0 Replies

BLINKY17

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 11:16 pm
I havent talked to her in a week ..... i feel lost
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 07:34 am
then talk to her.

Blinky, no one here told you to run away without looking back. Just to add some brakes to the train and to keep your eyes open going forward.

Has she tried to contact you?
0 Replies

BLINKY17

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 08:12 pm
thats the thing, last tuesday she spoke to me on phone and actually let her older son whos 2 n half say hello and said my name, she mentioned she was leaving for the week the next morning, well i didnt contact her for like 4-5 days and finally sunday / monday / tuesday i tried calling, texting and 1 email and ive heard nothing since i last tried to contact her on tuesday afternoon ( i bought my moms headstone and wanted to tell her), so we got grief class ina bout an hour, but i still aint heard from her since last tuesday night
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 08:15 pm
Blinky, keep a low profile, and wait for her to tell you what is on her mind..

I know you want her affection and understanding, but this is a good time to see what SHE is thinking.

Best of luck to you, and come back...

RH
0 Replies