Boston Gathering, February 22-24, 2008 - With Thomas!

Thomas

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:34 pm
This evening, by train.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 12:52 pm
good -- have a safe trip...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 01:06 pm
I just saw what's going-on weatherwise in the New York area. I'm really glad to hear you've got your train ticket booked, Thomas.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 02:15 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
snow's coming down intermittently. nothing too bad though, roads still seem pretty clear.

Even by this time the roads were getting slick. Cleared main roads are mostly fine with patches of frozen slush. Side roads are snow-icy. But still driveable here. I hear NY and CT are a lot sloppier.

The train was a good choice. Hope it runs straight through.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 02:16 pm
Seems like the train would be fun too.

Have a good time, y'all.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 06:41 pm
Started prepping food tonight. Pretty exciting! I don't know what I'm doing! Who knows if the dinner will be any good!

<going to go drink>
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 10:54 pm
Just checked into my hotel. The train arrived at Boston South only 30 minutes late. The only unpleasant aspect of transportation were the Boston taxi drivers, who wanted $20 for the five block drive to my hotel. (The "Limousine service" even said $60.) They were lucky: Once upon a time, according to a PBS documentary about the War of Independence, Bostonians used to tar and feather people for crap like this. I just shot them a look even colder than the weather and said: "Thanks, I'll walk."

Everything is good.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 11:00 pm
Thomas wrote:
The only unpleasant aspect of transportation were the Boston taxi drivers who wanted $20 for the five block drive to my hotel.

The sad part is, they weren't even trying to gouge you. That's a normal fare in Boston. Get in a cab and it'll show close to $16 on the meter before you've even moved.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make the festivities, but welcome to our fair city Thomas!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 11:01 pm
littlek wrote:
Started prepping food tonight. Pretty exciting! I don't know what I'm doing! Who knows if the dinner will be any good!

<going to go drink>

You're right. As Frank Apisa would have said, these things are impossible to know. However, I have faith in your dinner, Kris. I hope you enjoy your drink!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2008 11:05 pm
fishin wrote:
Get in a cab and it'll show close to $16 on the meter before you've even moved.

I'll consider paying this much after I've sold you my my underground road tunnel whose walls will come off the day after the dedication. Oh wait, you've already got one of those ....

Sarcasm aside, I'm glad to be here, and it's a pity I'll miss you, fishin!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 12:10 am
Have a nice time, all!

(In my experience, public transport is great in Boston. Okay, sometimes you'll have to wait a bit longer for a bus. But then, three, four, five arrive, one after the other ....)
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 12:39 am
The cabs here are a little cheaper than NYC.

I'm only a $13-16 cab ride to Fan. Hall....but going home they're a pain in the ass. Cab drivers will ask you where you're going, and if it's outside downtown, they'll drive off on you, looking for a closer fare(they know they're not going to pick anybody up in my town going back into the city). So I lie, and tell them I'm going a few blocks down. Once in the car, I change my mind. It's the only way to get my drunken ass home on the weekends.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 06:06 am
Thomas wrote:
Everything is good.

... and it's getting even better for the Boston crowd: As I wake up this morning, I have literally lost my voice -- completely. It had been somewhat coarse for a couple of days -- nothing that would keep me from talking without interruption -- but today, it's just gone. Nada.

Other than that, I'm fine. I'm looking forward to being with you guys this evening. But if I we want to chat during the party, I'll have gesticulate or go on the internet for a chatroom.

As I said, all of this is to the benefit of the Bostoners. You guys had no idea about the avalanche of talking you were in for. Now the lord has spared you. See you soon!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 10:35 am
oh no! I hope you didn't lose your appetite too. Maybe we'll set up our laptops so everyone can talk to you. That could make for an interesting thread to try and follow.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 11:32 am
it's ok, we can just chat through a2k.....except my ganglion cyst in my wrist is back and typing hurts..... i'll talk, thomas types.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 12:37 pm
Welcome to Boston, Thomas!

I was down at South Station myself this morning.
Nigel came in from Montreal on the red-eye bus.

Sorry I'll miss you today.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 01:47 pm
Thomas, 30 minutes late is excellent for a snowy friday night.
was it an acela?

fishin & George, sorry we won't see you guys... next time for sure...

shovellin' is done... gettin' psyched for tonight!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 02:09 pm
RP--

I approve of the Green Man.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 02:12 pm
Now there's a point--should we bring shovels? Share the work?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 02:15 pm
Noddy, whatta relief Mr. Green

username, i could think of 20 or 30 things i'd rather do... but i'll lend a hand if a hand is what needs lendin'...
0 Replies