Boston Gathering, February 22-24, 2008 - With Thomas!

McTag

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 01:34 pm
littlek wrote:

McTag - hello. It's you!

Well just writing BM is a bit samey.

I went for the imaginative approach.

:wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 01:37 pm
littlek wrote:
Okay. We've decided on Saturday, February 23 at 5 pm.

Jespah is bringing focaccia

Hullabaloo-loo, don't bring Lulu
She'll come by herself
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 02:08 pm
Quote:
"Your presence is requested," wrote little Johnny White,

"But with is invitation, there is a stipulation,

When you attend this party, you'll be treated right, but

There's a wild and wooly woman you boys can't invite, now.

Chorus:

You can bring Pearl, she's a darn nice girl, but don't bring Lulu.

You can bring Rose with the turned up nose, but don't bring Lulu.

Lulu always wants to do, what we boys don't want her to,

When she struts her stuff around, London bridge is falling down,

You can bring cake or Porterhouse steak, but don't bring Lulu.

Lulu gets blue and she goes cuckoo like the clock on the shelf,

She's the kind of smartie who breaks up every party,

Hullabaloo loo, don't bring Lulu, I'll bring her myself.

We all went to the party, real hi-toned affair,

Then along came Lulu, wild as any Zulu,

She started into Charleston, and how the boys did stare, but

When she did the hula-hula, then she got the air, now.

Chorus:

You can bring Pearl, she's a darn nice girl, but don't bring Lulu.

You can bring Rose with the turned up nose, but don't bring Lulu.

Lulu always wants to do, what we boys don't want her to,

When she struts her stuff around, London bridge is falling down,

You can bring cake or Porterhouse steak, but don't bring Lulu.

Lulu gets blue and she goes cuckoo like the clock on the shelf,

She's the kind of smartie who breaks up every party,

Hullabaloo loo, don't bring Lulu, I'll bring her myself.

McTag. You'll be judged by the company you keep.
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 02:13 pm
and the pig got up and slowly walked away
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:04 pm
Has anybody seen this snow-stormy weather system moving towards the North Atlantic?

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/stormwatch/?from=hp_news

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?animate=true

On the one hand, it looks threatening. On the other hand, I know New England is no entire stranger to snow, so I assume Interstate 95 will be okay to drive on. On the third hand -- we Foreignervanians have three hands -- it would be nice if a Bostonian could confirm that I'm just optimistic, not insane.

Comments?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:17 pm
I'd say you are definitely not insane. Maybe not even optimistic. We're supposed to get several inches. 95 should be fine. Are you driving up friday or saturday?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:20 pm
How much snow are they calling for Saturday?

The roads will be clear from Friday's snow. They're generally pretty good about plowing the major roads.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:26 pm
littlek wrote:
I'd say you are definitely not insane. Maybe not even optimistic. We're supposed to get several inches. 95 should be fine. Are you driving up friday or saturday?

I plan to drive up to Boston Friday evening and back down to New Brunswick Sunday afternoon.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:32 pm
Eh, you'll be fine. It's just a bit of frozen water.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:33 pm
From the weather underground (wunderground.com). The problem is they keep changing their minds..... How long is the drive? 5-7 hours? When will you be leaving? Could you wait until saturday morning?

Quote:
Winter Storm Warning in effect from 6 am Friday to 7 am EST Saturday...

Tonight
Partly cloudy this evening...then becoming mostly cloudy. Lows around 18. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Friday
Snow. Snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches. Highs in the upper 20s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Friday Night
Snow and sleet in the evening...then snow likely after midnight. Total snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches. Not as cool. Near steady temperature in the upper 20s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Gusts up to 20 mph in the evening. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.

Saturday
Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow. Highs in the mid 30s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

Saturday Night
Partly cloudy. Lows around 20. Northwest winds around 10 mph with gusts up to 20 mph.
nt_sunny
Sunday and Sunday Night
Clear. Highs in the upper 30s. Lows in the lower 20s.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:33 pm
Thomas wrote:
littlek wrote:

I plan to drive up to Boston Friday evening and back down to New Brunswick Sunday afternoon.

... but would consider leaving very early Saturday morning instead, say six-a.m-ish, if the alternative is actually being in a truly messy snow storm.

(yet another case of prematurely hitting "submit".)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:35 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
How much snow are they calling for Saturday?

The roads will be clear from Friday's snow. They're generally pretty good about plowing the major roads.

Numbers keep getting higher -- currently for Cambridge it looks like 5 - 9".

The Weather Channel wrote:
WESTERN FRANKLIN MA-EASTERN FRANKLIN MA-NORTHERN WORCESTER MA- CENTRAL MIDDLESEX MA-WESTERN ESSEX MA-EASTERN ESSEX MA- WESTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-EASTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-SOUTHEAST MIDDLESEX MA- SUFFOLK MA-NORTHERN MIDDLESEX MA- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CHARLEMONT... GREENFIELD...ORANGE... BARRE... FITCHBURG...FRAMINGHAM...LOWELL... LAWRENCE...GLOUCESTER... CHESTERFIELD...AMHERST...NORTHAMPTON... CAMBRIDGE...BOSTON...AYER 409 PM EST THU FEB 21 2008
...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM FRIDAY TO 7 AM EST SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM FRIDAY TO 7 AM EST SATURDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

THIS WARNING INCLUDES NORTHERN MASSACHUSETTS GENERALLY ALONG AND NORTH OF THE MASSACHUSETTS TURNPIKE.

SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS 5 AM AND 7 AM. THE SNOW SHOULD OVERSPREAD NORTHEAST MASSACHUSETTS BETWEEN 8 AM AND 10 AM.

ONCE THE SNOW OVERSPREADS THE REGION... IT SHOULD QUICKLY BECOME MODERATE TO HEAVY REDUCING VISIBILITIES TO ONE HALF MILE OR LESS AT TIMES THROUGH THE AFTERNOON. SURFACE TEMPERATURES BELOW FREEZING SHOULD ALLOW FOR THE SNOW TO QUICKLY ACCUMULATE ON UNTREATED ROADWAYS...MAKING FOR HAZARDOUS TRAVEL.

SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO FALL MODERATE TO HEAVY AT TIMES THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING. THIS WILL MAKE FOR A VERY MESSY FRIDAY EVENING RUSH HOUR. THERE IS ALSO A POSSIBILITY THAT SLEET COULD BRIEFLY MIX IN WITH THE SNOW FRIDAY EVENING... AS FAR NORTH AS THE MASSACHUSETTS TURNPIKE. THE SNOW WILL GRADUALLY TAPER OFF LATE FRIDAY NIGHT...ALTHOUGH AREAS OF LIGHT SNOW WILL LINGER THROUGH DAYBREAK SATURDAY.

TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS IN THE 6 TO 10 INCH RANGE ARE EXPECTED ACROSS NORTHERN MASSACHUSETTS...INCLUDING THE BOSTON METROPOLITAN AREA.

A WINTER STORM WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN AN AVERAGE OF 6 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW IS EXPECTED IN A 12 HOUR PERIOD OR FOR 8 OR MORE INCHES IN A 24 HOUR PERIOD. TRAVEL WILL BE SLOW AT BEST ON WELL TREATED SURFACES...AND QUITE DIFFICULT ON ANY UNPLOWED OR UNTREATED SURFACES.

Drive carefully.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:38 pm
Ah, didn't see you Dag and LittleK. According to Google Maps, the drive 4:30 hours. Call it 5 hours to account for misunderstandings between my GPS and me.

I'll get there sometime somehow. Worst case I take the train.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:45 pm
Safe travels, Thomas.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:45 pm
The nice thing is that if you do have to take the train, you don't have to go far from 95 to get to it.

Have done any driving along the northeastern seaboard? Do you know what to expect?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:50 pm
Shall I send you lucky bastids some tea to throw in the harbour?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:52 pm
littlek wrote:
The nice thing is that if you do have to take the train, you don't have to go far from 95 to get to it.

Have done any driving along the northeastern seaboard? Do you know what to expect?

Some, but only in nice weather so far. That's why I posted here to ask. Since you mention the seaboard, is there any extra risk associated with driving on 95, as opposed to 84, which is farther inland? I'm not married to any particular route.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 07:58 pm
Thomas, have you got winter tires on the car?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 08:00 pm
Thomas wrote:
littlek wrote:

Some, but only in nice weather so far. That's why I posted here to ask. Since you mention the seaboard, is there any extra risk associated with driving on 95, as opposed to 84, which is farther inland? I'm not married to any particular route.

I don't know about this weekend, but central MA/Worcester area often will get hit harder with snow.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 08:02 pm
Loks like the storm is coming from inland. At some point, the ocean's warming effect in early winter changes to a chilling effect as spring comes on. So, it all depends. Helpful, aren't I? I'm thinking you may as well take 95, though when we travel to southern CT, we take 84 and the mass turnpike.
0 Replies