Romney Quits (what a big disappointment.)

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 02:07 pm
Crazy thought...

What if the anti-McCain people unite behind Huckabee?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 02:30 pm
sozobe wrote:
Crazy thought...

What if the anti-McCain people unite behind Huckabee?

Anything's possible but Huckabee is considered conservative by only a portion of the Social Conservative wing of the Republican coalition. He's too free with taxes and too dovish on foreign policy to win the support of many of those who don't think McCain is conservative enough.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 02:42 pm
There are many men of principle in both parties in America,
but there is no party of principle. ~Alexis de Tocqueville
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 02:47 pm
Sozobe,

That's would be the very best chance the Democrats would have to elect either Clinton or Obama. However, I believe that the GOP will rally around McCain as the more electable candidate. There will of course be a few holdouts, but they should more than be offset by the appeal to the moderate voters who make of the bulk of both Parties. I suspect that most fundamentalist Christians will vote for McCain over either of the two Democratic candidates, both of whom will be distasteful to folks who regard themselves as holding strong family and Christian values.

Clinton and Obama may play nice on the surface, but their followers are very quick to sling mud and half-truths. The most fervent followers of both camps cut and sharpened their teeth on maligning the President, and now they are using those same techniques on one another. The contest promises to get very nasty in the coming weeks as each of the candidates tries to sink their opponent. There is a very good chance that the Democratic candidate will be selected by Super Delegates at the convention, and that is likely to further estrange the two camps. In the wake of this donnybrook, it may be impossible for either candidate to consolidate the Democratic vote... especially when the GOP candidate is an appealing moderate with vast domestic and foreign experience who has the confidence of both serving and veteran members of the military.

Both candidates still seem to be running against George Bush, and that will undercut their campaigns in the general election unless they can completely re-cast their strategy and direction.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 03:51 pm
I am not an expert, or even a novice, in understanding the turgid and feverish conservative mind. Thus, could you guys tell me whether the Dem nominee will get a significant number of people who would have otherwise voted for Romney.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 04:01 pm
I seriously doubt that Romeny's withdrawal will benefit either Clinton or Obama. If Romeny supporters would have some reluctance to support McCain because of his independent streak, voting for either Democratic candidate who are much, much further to Left would be almost unthinkable. It's sort of like supposing that John Eduard's supporters would shift their support to Mike Huckabee. Some might, but damned few.

Romeny's withdrawal just relieves some of the pressure on McCain to garner support from the more conservative elements of the Party. With Romeny out of the race and getting behind McCain the probability of widespread GOP support for our nominee is very great. That should clear the decks early to begin campaigning much more directly against the Democratic candidates and their very deep flaws.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 04:49 pm
I already said this here, but I think Romney's withdrawal benefits Obama because it removes any doubt about who the Democratic nominee will be competing against -- and I think Obama is a much stronger candidate than Hillary vs. McCain.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 08:01 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:
Whoa. Listening to his speech just now. Isn't he just the most arrogant and insulting prick around?

I have learned from him just now that us Europeans are in crisis because we are immoral and our faith in God is wavering.

Up yours, Romney!

No, since I assume Jaques Chirac is still "around."

What are you saying no to? "Up yours, Romney?" I'm afraid I insist.

Is Jacques Chirac the moral savior of Europe? Or the moral ruin of Europe? Since I posed no question, your response is not clear.

...not to mention that as a European I care didley squat about the moral state of Jacques Chirac. He's not all of Europe.

EDIT: I see. Chirac is supposed to be themost arrogant man around. He's plenty arrogant but he's got nuthin on Romney.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 08:08 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:
Whoa. Listening to his speech just now. Isn't he just the most arrogant and insulting prick around?I have learned from him just now that us Europeans are in crisis because we are immoral and our faith in God is wavering.

Up yours, Romney!

No, since I assume Jaques Chirac is still "around."

What are you saying no to? "Up yours, Romney?" I'm afraid I insist.

Is Jacques Chirac the moral savior of Europe? Or the moral ruin of Europe? Since I posed no question, your response is not clear.

...not to mention that as a European I care didley squat about the moral state of Jacques Chirac. He's not all of Europe.

No to the question highlighted above.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:18 pm
Interesting thread. Thank you all for your comments, and to Finn especially for giving a level-headed analysis 'from within', so to say.

Pity though - that Romney dropped out. It was fun seeing the bitter infighting on the Republican side.

I agree with the predictions here that those will die out pretty quickly now. Republicans are traditionally very eager to quickly rally round an anointed frontrunner, and have that whole risky phase of intra-party competition in the primary season over and done with -- it's a miracle it lasted as long as it did.

Ideological and personal rancour against McCain may run deep in some quarters, but power is a potent mediator. Now that it's clear that McCain will be the nominee, talk radio hosts may still continue railing, but anyone in the party whose business is politics or lobbying in one way or another will find an excuse to back the winner sooner than you can say "interests".

McCain has little to fear of Huckabee. Huck has mostly been behaving like a McCain ally anyway, and is likely just out to a) put the evangelical grassroots on the map to avoid them being used as just footsoldiers again and b), to himself become the evangelicals' representative in an important government post. Meanwhile he has no chance winning over those railing against McCain on the Rush/Coulter end of the spectrum: those people were always more wedded to business conservatism than religious conservatism, and Huckabee's broadsides against the "Wall Street/Washington DC axis" makes him even more of a boogeyman than McCain is.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:26 pm
i gather you didn't see or notice my edit, finn.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:49 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
i gather you didn't see or notice my edit, finn.

Your edit and my post must have passed in the ether
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 07:12 am
Since Romney's justification for his sons' seeming lack of enthusiasm for military service was the fact that they were "serving their country" by helping him get elected, and since him getting elected just isn't in the cards, will the Romney boys be on their way to the recruiting office?
--David Kurtz
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 07:15 am
Quote:
VA-Pres (R)
Feb 7 Survey USA

McCain 45%, Romney 22%, Huckabee 20% ...

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/polltracker/vapres_r/

Where do you think Romney's votes will go?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 07:17 am
It doesn't matter, does it.... McCain still wins.

McCain will walk in to the convention with well more than 50% of the delegates. He will be nominated on the first ballot.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 07:50 am
I think Romney's stated reasons for dropping out pretty much tells us the repub strategy to win the white house.... elect a republican or the terrorists will be beheading middle school children.... the politics of fear are about to hit the ground running again.

The color has been upgraded to brown... for more repub wardrum pounding bullshit.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 07:55 am
Advocate wrote:
I am not an expert, or even a novice, in understanding the turgid and feverish conservative mind. Thus, could you guys tell me whether the Dem nominee will get a significant number of people who would have otherwise voted for Romney.

Romney a lackluster candidate at best, has a repellent quality to him. McCain's got some zip and personality. I think his dropping out makes it more difficult for the Democrats.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 07:56 am
Quote:
If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror.

With statements like this, Romney is trying to make sure Americans don't elect a Republican.

Its about time that the ridiculous scare mongering is pointed out for what it is. It's not like Bush or any republican has made the US safe from terrorism or captured Bin Laden.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 07:57 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I think Romney's stated reasons for dropping out pretty much tells us the repub strategy to win the white house.... elect a republican or the terrorists will be beheading middle school children.... the politics of fear are about to hit the ground running again.

The color has been upgraded to brown... for more repub wardrum pounding bullshit.

I'm wondering why, if Romney is so selfless, he hasn't offered his delegates to McCain.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 08:07 am
Gala wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I'm wondering why, if Romney is so selfless, he hasn't offered his delegates to McCain.

He could be and probably is hanging on to the delegates for a couple of reasons.
1. Huckebee might have a strong showing and McCain won't get enough to win although it isn't likely.
2. He has some clout at the convention by hanging on to them until then. He can affect the writing of the rules and the party platform by threatening to keep his delegates if he doesn't get certain concessions.

By the time the vote roles around, he will have released his delegates for a unanimous vote for McCain at the convention. This isn't about being selfless. It is about positioning Romney for a future run.
0 Replies