Romney Quits (what a big disappointment.)

dyslexia

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 12:28 pm
Is it sundown for Rush?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 12:39 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I believe Mitt is sincere in his reasons for leaving the race, but I also think it was a brilliant political move.

Mitt Romney is now the official Golden Boy of the Republican party.

McCain will have to consider him for VP, and it would be a smart move to make, but even if he doesn't, Romney is now the presumptive heir to the leadership of the party. If McCain loses in 2008, barring some extreme circumstances, you can bet the ranch that Romney will be the nominee in 2012. Even if McCain wins, if he falters and remains unpopular among conservatives, we might see him challenged by Romney in 2012.

If he remained in the race, it wasn't a matter of what damage he might be able to do to McCain, it was the fact that as a "Real Conservative" remaining in the race he gave cover to folks like Limbaugh, Hannity and Ingram to continue tearing into McCain.

This is very good news for the Republicans. The in-fighting is over and the National campaign can begin. Meanwhile, there is no reason whatsoever to believe that the Democratic in-fighting will not extend to the convention.

Does anyone believe Hillary will pull out, and why would Obama?

Round one to the GOP

Good Point Finn.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 12:40 pm
I hope so.

Good analysis, Finn, I tend to agree.

I'm not sure if it is really brilliant as opposed to obvious since it seems vanishingly unlikely that he'd actually win if he stayed in the race. But I agree that it was a good idea and much of your analysis of why. (I wouldn't bet the ranch on 2012 -- too much time for someone else to emerge, and Romney has shown that he has serious electability problems.)
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 12:42 pm
I don't agree it was a "brilliant" political move for him to bail. He was losing a ton of his own money and he made a practical decision.

Maybe he'll be the golden Boy someday, but at the moment he's protecting himself and his image, which is sullied by his increasingly whiny tone and hostility toward the front runners.

His telling Huckleberry to drop out put him in the league with junior High School antics.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 12:47 pm
Green Witch wrote:
All his talk can be summed up in two words:

Sore Loser

Nonsense.

A sore loser would have attempted to diminish the winner.

A sore loser would have attempted to external causes for his loss.

He didn't do either.

His criticism of the Left wasn't the expression of a Sore Loser. He didn't lose to the Left.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 12:53 pm
sozobe wrote:
I hope so.

Good analysis, Finn, I tend to agree.

I'm not sure if it is really brilliant as opposed to obvious since it seems vanishingly unlikely that he'd actually win if he stayed in the race. But I agree that it was a good idea and much of your analysis of why. (I wouldn't bet the ranch on 2012 -- too much time for someone else to emerge, and Romney has shown that he has serious electability problems.)

The Republican Party has a consistent tradition of annointing the next in line. He has now positioned himself as next in line.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 01:03 pm
What about Dan Quayle?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 01:06 pm
Now if only fat ass-Deval Patrick would resign... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 01:06 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Is it sundown for Rush?

No.

Even if he continues to rip McCain to the point that he can be identified as a significant reason for his losing in November, Rush will still have a large, very devoted following. He will lose some listeners who might blame him for putting Clinton or Obama in office, and he will have made enemies within the Republican party, but he will still produce rating that can keep him on the air.

If McCain wins, he'll just have a broader of targets to attack.

I suspect that McCain will realize he has to make some overtures to the Right - including Right Wing pundits, but this is by no means certain. He's proud and irracible and he may end up wasting the gift Romeny has just given him.

If he at least makes an effort to acknowledge the hard right as not only having relevancy but power, I think they'll get behind him.

I have to wonder if Laura Ingram knew Romney was going to withdraw, because she really ripped McCain in a way that will make it tough for McCain to swallow and for her to reverse.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 01:11 pm
sozobe wrote:
What about Dan Quayle?

Dan Quayle, despite holding the position of VP for four years was never considered the next in line among Republicans.

Perhaps if Bush had won a second term, Quayle would have climbed to the top of the leader board, but not while being a weak and laughable VP in a one term presidancy.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 01:15 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Whoa. Listening to his speech just now. Isn't he just the most arrogant and insulting prick around?

I have learned from him just now that us Europeans are in crisis because we are immoral and our faith in God is wavering.

Up yours, Romney!

No, since I assume Jaques Chirac is still "around."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 01:18 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
sozobe wrote:
What about Dan Quayle?

Dan Quayle, despite holding the position of VP for four years was never considered the next in line among Republicans.

Perhaps if Bush had won a second term, Quayle would have climbed to the top of the leader board, but not while being a weak and laughable VP in a one term presidancy.

Well, that's what I mean. Romney was, all things considered, a pretty weak and laughable candidate. Maybe too weak and laughable to be a shoo-in in 2012.

I'm not ruling it out, but I'm not betting the ranch on it either.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 01:21 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Green Witch wrote:
All his talk can be summed up in two words:

Sore Loser

Nonsense.

A sore loser would have attempted to diminish the winner.

A sore loser would have attempted to external causes for his loss.

He didn't do either.

His criticism of the Left wasn't the expression of a Sore Loser. He didn't lose to the Left.

Not nonsense: Romney was a sore loser while he was losing.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 01:26 pm
sozobe wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
sozobe wrote:
What about Dan Quayle?

Well, that's what I mean. Romney was, all things considered, a pretty weak and laughable candidate. Maybe too weak and laughable to be a shoo-in in 2012.

I'm not ruling it out, but I'm not betting the ranch on it either.

You can't compare Quayle and Romney.

Quayle was a laughing stock, weak in the sense that he had few, if any strengths.

I don't think any Republican thinks of Romney as laughable or without a number of strengths. More importantly he just revealed a strength very important to Republicans (and I suspect Democrats): loyalty to the Cause.

He wasn't going to win the nomination, but it's pretty hard to imagine how his candidacy could be considered laughable and weak.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 01:27 pm
I disagree with the laughable also on Romney.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 01:28 pm
The weathervane stances, the dismal showing in head-to-head polls with Dem candidates (while McCain was much closer and sometimes ahead), the 30 million of his own money in the campaign and all for naught -- not very strong.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 01:34 pm
Just Googled "Romney gaffes," came up with this:

Quote:
Au contraire, Mr. Alter. Mitt Romney has many strengths, but gracefully dodging mistakes isn't one of them. In fact, as we here in Massachusetts know firsthand, the governor is something of a political klutz. Consider these classic Romney blunders:

Quote:
7) He likes gay people
In 1994, while running against Ted Kennedy for the US Senate, Romney assures the Massachusetts Log Cabin Republicans that "as we seek to establish full equality for America's gay and lesbian citizens, I will provide more effective leadership than my opponent." (Remember, that opponent is Ted Kennedy. Romney gets the endorsement.) During his 2002 gubernatorial campaign, Romney operatives distribute bright-pink fliers at Boston's gay-pride festival that read: "Mitt and Kerry wish you a great Pride weekend! All citizens deserve equal rights, regardless of their sexual preference." Two years later, during his speech at the Republican National Convention, Romney likens the threat from same-sex marriage to the menace of Islamist terrorism.

Quote:

Quote:
3) A foolish consistency, etc.
Debating Ted Kennedy during their 1994 Senate race, Romney offers a passionate defense of abortion rights, referencing his mother, Lenore, in the process. "I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country," Romney says. "I have since the time that my mom took that position when she ran in 1970 as a US Senate candidate." Later in the debate, Romney says a relative once died after an illegal abortion, and adds: "Since that time, my mother and my family have been committed to the belief that we can believe as we want, but we will not force our beliefs on others on that matter, and you will not see my wavering on that." Romney subsequently wavers on that, telling Fox News's Chris Wallace in 2006 that he is "very firmly pro-life."

They wrap up with:

Quote:
Even if you disagree with his politics, Romney's stumblebum ways are kind of endearing, and we'll remember them fondly when he leaves the corner office later this year. Of course, whether they would serve the Republican Party well in 2008 is another matter entirely. Forewarned is forearmed.

http://thephoenix.com/Article.aspx?id=9677&page=1

That was published in April 2006, plenty since I'm sure.

Look, I don't hate the guy or anything -- everyone commits gaffes. I just question this "bet the ranch that he'll be the nominee in 2012" business.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 01:47 pm
sozobe wrote:
The weathervane stances, the dismal showing in head-to-head polls with Dem candidates (while McCain was much closer and sometimes ahead), the 30 million of his own money in the campaign and all for naught -- not very strong.

He's won 286 delegates - that's hardly weak.

This is weak:

Ron Paul: 19
Rudy Guilliani: 0
Fred Thompson: 0
John Edwards: 26
Joe Biden: 0
Chris Todd: 0
Dennis Kucinich: 0
Bill Richardson: 0

And the Democrats had the benefit of the proportional delegate rule!

The ability to spend your own money on a campaign is considered a strength. It's the only reason anyone has ever taken a Bloomberg candidacy remotely serious.

I'm sure the flip-flopping hurt him to some degree, but in four years it will be less of an issue if he remains consistent during that period.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that he is a juggernaut. If he was, he wouldn't have pulled out of the race, but he did damned well for someone who almost no one outside of Mass and Utah knew before 2006, and he has positioned himself as next in line - that's big for Republicans.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 01:53 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Whoa. Listening to his speech just now. Isn't he just the most arrogant and insulting prick around?

I have learned from him just now that us Europeans are in crisis because we are immoral and our faith in God is wavering.

Up yours, Romney!

Ain't it so. It appears that the fellow has so eagerly changed clothing towards the end of gaining the social conservative vote that he actually has come to think that's who he is. It's a Zelig story.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 02:00 pm
Romney has done the right thing, and deserves credit for making a difficult personal choice. He poured a lot of himself and his fortune into this bid for the Executive Office. He's taken a lot of flack over his religion. He would have been an acceptable GOP candidate, and probably would have beaten either Clinton or Obama in the general election. He just wasn't the right candidate for the moment. His stepping aside and moving to support John McCain will help reconcile many on the Right-wing of our Party. Some of the most radical Republicans will never forgive McCain for his independence, but it is that very independence that makes him so attractive to the nation's moderate center voters of all parties. Given the choice between the two darlings of the extreme Left, and John McCain, we have a winning ticket.

The GOP will close ranks about John McCain; a man of great experience and understanding of domestic and international politics, a war-hero who commands the respect of our military forces, a man who has repeatedly demonstrated his toughness and ability to overcome adversity, and a man whose moderate views coincide with the center of American electorate.
0 Replies