Romney Quits (what a big disappointment.)

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:21 am
CNN is reporting that Mitt Romney is stepping out of the race ("Suspending" is the term, but this is just so he can hang on to delegates).

Does this mean Huckleberry is the sole hope for "true Republicans (tm)"?

I didn't see this coming so soon. His deep pockets and his negative ads will be missed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,320 • Replies: 90
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:22 am
Oh wow! I saw a rumor, this sounds more definite.

Huh.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:24 am
Mittens for Kittens, tell me it ain't so!!!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:25 am
MCcain is it... was there any real doubt?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:26 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
MCcain is it... was there any real doubt?

Nope.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:37 am
It's what I've been saying for quite a while, anyway. (McCain.)

A year ago, responding to someone saying he was out:

sozobe wrote:
I dunno. Seems awfully early for that.

Giuliani has some serious weaknesses, and if those turn out to be crippling, who will the Republicans turn to?

McCain has his own weaknesses to be sure, but if Giuliani fades from his current high-flying position, are they going to give Romney the nod? Brownback? Tancredo?

If there were some obvious front-runner I'd agree that McCain is done for, but given the field, he may still emerge as the favorite.

a little later on:

sozobe wrote:
I think McCain's wounded, to be sure. Possibly mortally. It's just that I don't see any other knight in shining armor who will come along and rescue the Republican party. Giuliani is doing well for now -- I don't think the popularity he is currently enjoying will last. And once he's been humbled (which I think will happen to at least some extent), I'm not sure that McCain won't suddenly look better by comparison.

OK, I'll quit. I came across a post of mine from earlier than that where I said something about how I thought it was very likely that McCain would be left standing when everyone else is eliminated when I was looking for something else recently, but can't find that one back.

At any rate, I'm happy about it. I think Obama matches up really well against McCain -- much better than Hillary does -- so that helps his electability argument as the Dem primary race goes on.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:45 am
Mitt will say this at the CPAC

"Plans to say at CPAC speech: "If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or (Barack) Obama would winÂ…."

Watch CPAC convention LIVE here.

I can see his logic. However, Rush, Ann Coulter et all...will certainly be disappointed. Razz

http://thepage.time.com/2008/02/07/sources-romney-to-quit-race/
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:46 am
So does this mean Huckabee is the spoiler just like Nader and Perot were?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:49 am
Who will Rush Limbaugh support?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:51 am
Step aside now to get a spot on the ticket?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:56 am
I can't see a McCain/Romney ticket.

I think McCain waits to see how the Obama Clinton race turns out before he chooses a running-mate.

If Obama wins, McCain will have to pick a strong conservative in order to make sure the right wing doesn't abandon him (as they are promising to do).

If Clinton wins, the (unjustified) hatred of her gets the right wing "anti-Hillary" vote. This means McCain can ignore his right flank and will choose a more moderate running mate to court independents.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 11:59 am
Whoa. Listening to his speech just now. Isn't he just the most arrogant and insulting prick around?

I have learned from him just now that us Europeans are in crisis because we are immoral and our faith in God is wavering.

Up yours, Romney!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 12:07 pm
Yes, if he helps Obama or Hillary win he's "aiding a surrender to terror." Bleh.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 12:08 pm
"We cannot allow the next president of the United States to retreat in the face of evil extremism!" <insipid smile>

The smile so didn't fit the statement...
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 12:12 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Who will Rush Limbaugh support?

This is who he will support.

http://hypocrisytoday.com/alfred.htm
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 12:14 pm
I just heard him (Romney) say that government employees earn more than regular working people do and he went on to say how bad that was for america (I'm paraphrasing) than I surfed to another channel where they were showing tapes of the shooting standoff this morning in L.A. I believe I heard someone say there were over 200 uniformed people involved including firemen/police/sherif/and medical. So I'm thinking that in the interest of cost/benefit analysis the dispatcher should have sent in no more than 2 officers.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 12:19 pm
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 12:23 pm
It's been widely published/reported he's used a ton of his own money to fund his campaign, and that makes him look like a fiscal idiot. Especially when his strong suit is money...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 12:25 pm
All his talk can be summed up in two words:

Sore Loser
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 12:25 pm
I believe Mitt is sincere in his reasons for leaving the race, but I also think it was a brilliant political move.

Mitt Romney is now the official Golden Boy of the Republican party.

McCain will have to consider him for VP, and it would be a smart move to make, but even if he doesn't, Romney is now the presumptive heir to the leadership of the party. If McCain loses in 2008, barring some extreme circumstances, you can bet the ranch that Romney will be the nominee in 2012. Even if McCain wins, if he falters and remains unpopular among conservatives, we might see him challenged by Romney in 2012.

If he remained in the race, it wasn't a matter of what damage he might be able to do to McCain, it was the fact that as a "Real Conservative" remaining in the race he gave cover to folks like Limbaugh, Hannity and Ingram to continue tearing into McCain.

This is very good news for the Republicans. The in-fighting is over and the National campaign can begin. Meanwhile, there is no reason whatsoever to believe that the Democratic in-fighting will not extend to the convention.

Does anyone believe Hillary will pull out, and why would Obama?

Round one to the GOP
0 Replies