Hey! It tastes like shitcken!

Chai

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 11:18 am
Japanese green tea that's made from only the bud and first 2 leaves.

It's a loose tea, much more flavorful.

I find it very soothing.

Processing G. Tea
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 11:20 am
All tea should be purchased as loose herb.

Packaged teas just lack -something- all the time.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 11:31 am
I was watching a Good Eats (love that show) about the ins and out of tea.

I can tell you exactly what packaged teas lack.....tea.

When you buy loose leaf tea, that's what you get, the whole enchilada.

when the tea is sifted during processing, the smaller bits fall through a screen, a lower grade of tea.

That lower grade is being sifted as well, with the last tiny bits..."tea dust" falls through the finer mesh.

This is bascially the crap people buy in tea bags here.

Open up a teabag and see how small the particles are...soak them in water and they remain just that, small particles.

Soak loose leaf tea and it EXPANDS....a spoonful of gyokuro fill up most of a tea strainer when I pour the water through after a 3 minute steep.

It's expensive, so I don't want to waste it. Me, I don't like the 2nd brew as much, so I'll take the strained leafs and tuck them up in my cheek like chewin' tabaccy. It gives a little lift.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 11:34 am
I have also heard, and I dont know if this is true or not, that most companies will actually use alfalfa and hay as filler in most commercial tea bags.

The amount of so called 'tea' in those is sooo small anyway, why in the world would one need a filler??
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 11:45 am
2PacksAday wrote:
I am totally carnivorous, preferably beef...I've been seriously contemplating shooting up with A1 sauce to save time.

If it requires A1, then just toss it in the trash....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 12:37 pm
Rockhead wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:
I personally love chai tea

I tried to get that at the Asian Market and they siad we weren't hip enough to get it in Kansas....

I'll make a couple calls.

2packs...

I dated a guy in college that was just the nicest person, I ususally don't speculate, but he might have been someone that would have been long term, if it wasn't for one thing.

He....smelled....like....MEAT!!!

He was a total carnivore too.

BIG guy, as in over 6'4", good size frame, but no fat on him. That alarmed me actually, as at the time I was 5'2" and probably 105 lbs soaking wet.

He didn't smell bad, he just smelled like meat. It exuded from his pores.

He finally asked me why I wouldn't let him, you know, get close to me. I had to tell him the truth.
I felt so bad, because next time I saw him, he had bathed really heavily with Irish Spring soap....ok, I like clean, but the smell of Irish Spring, with the undercurrent of meat....ooof.

It didn't work out, which thinking back now, was sad, but I'd become queasy when he leaned in to kiss me.

Oh Duncan....if you're out there reading this, I'm sorry.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 01:05 pm
Chai wrote:

Oh Duncan....if you're out there reading this, I'm sorry.

http://thenastyboys.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/nerd46422fm3.jpg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 01:21 pm
Dammit! I told you to stop posting my picture on the Internet!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 01:36 pm
I thought that was drewdad's sister. They must look alike.

As far as the guy who smelled like meat - what did you want him to smell like? Tuna?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 01:54 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I thought that was drewdad's sister. They must look alike.

As far as the guy who smelled like meat - what did you want him to smell like? Tuna?

It would have been nice if he smelled like a live person, not dead animal flesh oozing out his pores.

Oh Duncan, where are thou?

Are your arteries clear?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 01:59 pm
Setanta wrote:
I have no brief to defend the livestock industry, nor have i been attempting to do so. I wasn't mounting a high horse either (kiss my rosy red Irish @ss, DD), i was just pushing the loud-mouthed vegetarians off of theirs--and i've heard their bullshit for enough decades to be sick of it.

Well, we've had this conversation before... And I pointed out, without naming names, that there are loud-mouthed jerks on both sides of the fence. And then we just hugged it out, man. Good times, good times...

Anyway, I know you're just after my high horse so you can eat it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 02:21 pm
Naw, i can't eat the heavy red meats--beef, veal, mutton, horse--any longer, unless it is ground already.

There was no personal reference in anything which i was writing, other than my remark to DD, who richly deserves to be frequently reminded that he is as completely insignificant as the rest of us.

I am a "Death to Tofu ! ! !" crusader, and always will be.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 02:25 pm
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gkq7HLBe178
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 02:37 pm
By the way, it almost doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you get a good variety of foods, and eat as close to source as possible. Fruits and veggies, meat, fish, eggs, milk, cheese, bread and baked goods--the more recently such foods have been prepared, the better they are for you. All sorts of food "fadism" is to be viewed with suspicion. What we call trans fats, and deprecate, were widely introduced more than a generation ago on the claim that they were healthier than saturated fats (think, butter). Of course, they are also cheaper for corporate food manufacturers--but you just know they only ever had your health as their primary interests.

Yes, even--shudder--tofu can be healthy. The less processing your food gets before it hits your plate (your cooking thereof left out of consideration), the better off you are.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 03:08 pm
Setanta wrote:

There was no personal reference in anything which i was writing, other than my remark to DD, who richly deserves to be frequently reminded that he is as completely insignificant as the rest of us.

Oh, sorry, assumed you were addressing me as I'd been the only vegetarian posting in the thread. I didn't think I had been being a loudmouth, but it seemed that I was the only one here that you could have been referring to.

Quote:
The less processing your food gets before it hits your plate (your cooking thereof left out of consideration), the better off you are.
I completely agree with that--I just disagree that tofu counts as a "processed food," not in the sense that people usually mean it when they talk about avoiding processed foods. I mean, yeah, it's a "process," but it's a process you can pretty easily do at home, like making yogurt, not like, you know, making cheetos or something.

Of course, large-scale farming of soy is destructive, but as Chai pointed out, so is large-scale farming of cattle. As far as environmental impact, rather than pointing fingers at eating tofu or eating meat, I think focusing on getting food from small local producers is probably where it's at... For example, there's a very small-scale tofu company right where I live, so that helps me out.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 03:10 pm
Eat more herbivore.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 03:14 pm
Well, I am grass-fed and locally raised.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 03:36 pm
Chai wrote:

He....smelled....like....MEAT!!!

He was a total carnivore too.

Probably not connected; I saw this documentary on a beautiful model who's natural body odor was that of rotting fish. Some genetic mutation I believe...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 04:29 pm
I'll just annoy everyone by mentioning I've liked a dish at a chinese restaurant that had fair sized tofu cubes, say 1 1/2", stuffed with chinese sausage (lok xoung?) and sauteed to crisp on the outside, served in a chili meat sauce...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 04:30 pm
I seem to remember, cypher, that there is a firm or group of people who do their own tofu from their own beans, for sale somewhere in your neighborhood. (Cypher lives near where I used to.)
0 Replies