Hey! It tastes like shitcken!

Chumly

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 12:13 am
Rockhead wrote:
Cashew butter.....MMMMmmmmm. (See Homer Simpson and Donuts)

RH
I have a soft spot for cashew butter (pun).....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 07:06 am
The best jerky I ever had was from a roadside stand. Driving in the country during wildflower season, we saw signs that said, jerky x miles ahead.

We pulled over, bought a little and really enjoyed it while driving home.

Can remember if it was beef or venison

Re tofu...I'm with you cypher. When certain founds come up as the latest on the band wagon, chances are it's something I've been eating all along anyway.
Pomegranites....since I was a little little kid.
Oatmeal....always enjoyed it.
Fish....I grew up about a mile from the Atlantic Ocean, at a marina.

I'll admit tofu is a realativly new addition in my food choices. But, I'm sure I never would have tried it if it hadn't been on the "in" list a few years back.

There's been plenty of other foods like that. I'll try something I wasn't aware of, if I don't like it, I'm definately NOT going to keep eating it.

cool whip, re peanut butter...as far as I'm concerned, it's so filling it's really not something one can eat a lot of at one time. Especially because you usually put it on something else, bread, crackers apples, celery. But peanutes are a powerhouse. They're not a nut actually, but a legume, and have sustained many people over the ages.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 08:50 am
Re: Hey! It tastes like shitcken!
cyphercat wrote:
boomerang wrote:
And tofu. Don't get me started. I know, I know "It's delicious!" (if you spend 900 hours soaking it in something tasty).

Yeah, I know! It's so ridiculous to have to prepare a food for it to taste good!!

*sigh*

Tofu tastes like crap because it is crap. A good hunk of ground beef can be grilled, slapped on a plate, and it tastes good right now. Do you suggest that people should eat tofu right out of the plastic tub (ah, packaging, packaging), because it's "good for them?"

Just in case there are any new age types out there who cherish the illusion that they are getting right with their own karma and the natural world by eating tofu--here's a little information for you. Tofu is a prepared food--it doesn't come from the tofu tree, it is made from bean curd. Although it is sometimes made from other beans, or even using some types of nuts, far and away, tofu is may from soy milk curd, and that is made from soy beans. Soy beans are a product of large-scale commercial agriculture, and they are, in the corporate framing context, a highly erosive plant--both wind and water erosion--because the classic model is "clean row cropping." This means that the little beans grow on little bean plants, which grow, row on row, with bare soil between them. The wind blows through, and bye-bye soil. The rain comes down, and bye-bye soil. Additionally, commercial farming of soy beans almost always involves the use of insecticides and herbicides--the first to protect the plants, and the second to foster the clean row cropping, eliminating plant competitors.

But it gets better: over the last 30 years--prior to which the United States was the world's largest producer of soy beans--many nations have gotten into the competition in this lucrative agri-business market. Notable among the new competitors is Brazil. In Brazil, new farm land has been most commonly opened up by cutting down the rain forests. Since most of the nutrients in the biomass of a rain forest are above the ground, the soil is quickly exhausted. Someone, of course, usually profits from selling off any usable hard woods when the rain forest is cut down, but any of the forest, including a good deal more plant life than just the trees, which doesn't have an immediate commercial value is simply burned off--nice contribution to atmospheric carbon dioxide.

Since the the soil under the rain forest is usually so poor, and is therefore quickly exhausted, the corporate farming operations soon go looking for more rain forest to cut down. The fields may recover to the extent that they can be used to graze livestock, but the rain forest is gone for good.

Eat hearty, New Age heroes ! ! !
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 09:03 am
i feel better for not liking tofu now (with the exception of Agedashi Dofu)...

....though this story is by no means limited to soy, unfortunately.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 09:05 am
And by the way, tofu is nasty, crap processed food.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 09:08 am
dagmaraka wrote:
i feel better for not liking tofu now (with the exception of Agedashi Dofu)...

....though this story is by no means limited to soy, unfortunately.

No, it certainly is not. I get worked up over soy, though, because so many new age heroes get all holier than thou about their virtuous, vegetarian life styles. I suspect that many of them have secret tortured dreams of killing carnivorous people . . .
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 09:21 am
One doesn't eat raw meat out of the package (ah, packaging, packaging) either.

It too must be prepared before consumed.

Meat doesn't come from a meat tree either. It comes from an animal that must be processed over a year or more, then processed some more after death.

Not everyone eats tofu to get straight with their karma. I do because with less or same preparation time and effort as grilling a piece of meat, I get something that I enjoy more.

I don't know why people think tofu involves elaborate procedures to cook. In fact, I do use it out of the tub, when adding to egg salad. Takes all of 1 minute to chop some up and toss it in with the eggs that I've had to simmer for 15 minutes, cool with ice water,peel for another 15 and chop and mix in all sorts of stuff for another 5 or so....With cooling time, a dozen and a half eggs takes me an hour-ish to make egg salad.

I eat meat, I just don't enjoy it more than once in a while, or, more often in small quantitites.

It's a preference.

Also, one can make the choice to buy soy products that are organically grown, to forego the pesticides. I do.

If you don't like soy, or bean curd, which I know most people here don't....don't eat it.

Also, I really like soy beans straight up....roasted, boiled, fresh. I don't eat any of these products on a daily basis, nor do I eat meat daily. It's a balance.

It's not like cattle have never overgrazed land and taken a lot more out of the earth than it put back, right?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 09:34 am
Everybody take deep breaths and dismount from your respective high-horses....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 09:54 am
DrewDad wrote:
Everybody take deep breaths and dismount from your respective high-horses....

Oh...I'm not on a high horse.

I guess I feel like the middle of the road person here.

I like beans and I like rice.
Sometimes even a burger is nice.

milk on the other hand, make me fart
I don't think that's awfully smart.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 10:00 am
I have no brief to defend the livestock industry, nor have i been attempting to do so. I wasn't mounting a high horse either (kiss my rosy red Irish @ss, DD), i was just pushing the loud-mouthed vegetarians off of theirs--and i've heard their bullshit for enough decades to be sick of it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 10:08 am
so....you still respect me this morning?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 10:27 am
Vegans and veggies like to think they're so hip and progressive, when in fact they are as out of touch with reality as they possibly can be.

Jamie Oliver is trying to show people where food comes from. Unfortunately he's a bit on the wrong side of the issue, but at least he's tackling it head on.

I've long thought that more chefs need to get involved in hunting and with hunters in general. There really isn't much difference between harvesting a deer and a fish. Like wild caught salmon, the best meat you can put on your plate doesn't come from a farm.

Alice Waters and Ted Nugent are natural partners in food, if you think about it. If you read what they preach about food and healthy lifestyles, they say the same thing, one version just has a little more wang dang.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 10:34 am
Me?

I think some people are naturally more carnivorous, others more vegetarian naturally.

Of course there are those who do things just to be hip, but not everyone.

Carnivores like to call vegetarians wimps, vegetarians call carnivores aggressive.

I just think some people would have to be forced to eat a salad, others pushed into eating a steak.

What's the argument?

Follow what your body wants.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 10:39 am
Just eat real food. Care about where it comes from and how it's raised. The rest will follow. People who get all excited about the way other people eat can bite me.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 10:42 am
What Swimpy said, but say it real mean.... :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 10:57 am
so....how does everyone feel about gyokuro green tea?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 11:00 am
whatsit?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 11:07 am
I personally love chai tea
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 11:11 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I personally love chai tea

I tried to get that at the Asian Market and they siad we weren't hip enough to get it in Kansas....
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 11:16 am
I am totally carnivorous, preferably beef...I've been seriously contemplating shooting up with A1 sauce to save time. Chicken is ok, but turkey....I can damn near eat a whole turkey by myself...it's just sooo good. Pork is generic meat, like rat or poodle.

I wish I liked deer, most guys I know kill at least one a year, and all thru the winter and spring months I am offered deer jerky, or various other venison products...all natural....but I just don't care for the taste...really can't stand the smell of it while being cooked.

Okra, like poison ivy, should be eradicated from the face of the Earth.
0 Replies