It's Gonna Get Ugly For Barack and Hillary

snood

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 04:39 am
I say "do you doubt the GOP will do even worse"? Finn says "they won't have to". So, are you saying they won't do it because they won't have to?
That would be an admirable utilitarian efficiency, but if you actually believe that, we have a basic disagreement about what the right will probably do. And, come to think of it, no suprise there since you and I tend to reason as if from parallel universes.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 08:18 am
Here's another Obama 'advisor' that he certainly knows nothing about.

Quote:
Sen. Barack Obama has been linked to another controversial pastor, this time a declared spiritual adviser who has called white American mayors "slave masters," and referred to black preachers and politicians who "protect" the "white man" as "house n-ggers."

"We don't have slave masters, we got mayors," exclaimed James Meeks, an Illinois state senator and pastor of one of the largest churches in the state, in an August, 2006 sermon broadcast on a Chicago community television channel.

The speech was broadcast last week by Fox News Channel's "Hannity and Colmes."

Continued Meeks in the sermon: "But they are still the same white people who are presiding over systems where black people are not able to be educated. You got some preachers that are house n-ggers. You got some elected officials that are house n-ggers. Rather than them try and break this up, they're gonna fight you to protect that white man."..................

................When confronted about his divisive rhetoric in 2006 by Mike Flannery, a political editor for a local CBS affiliate, Meeks defended his sermon.

"Is it fair to compare Mayor Daley, him and the governor, to slave masters?" Flannery asked.

"They do the same thing. They preside over systems where they have the control of the lives of African-American and Hispanic people," Meeks replied.

With regard to his use of foul language, Meeks stated: "The N-word is not in the African-American community a bad word. It's a term of endearment. And I don't see it as derogatory or defensive, offensive."...................

..........................Aside from his senatorial duties, Meeks is an Illinois superdelegate pledged to Obama, and also presides over Salem Baptist Church, described as the largest church in Illinois with some 20,000 members. He has served as an executive vice president for Jesse Jackson's Rainbow/PUSH organization.

Meeks has reportedly campaigned for Obama and allowed Obama to campaign at his church during the presidential candidate's 2004 senatorial run.

A recent Meeks endorsement of Obama is touted on the presidential candidate's campaign website.

In a 2004 interview with Cathleen Falsani of the Chicago Sun-Times, Obama described Meeks as an adviser who he seeks out for spiritual council................................

.................The latest revelations regarding an Obama-linked pastor comes after anti-American, anti-Israel remarks by Obama's pastor of 20 years, Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr., landed Obama in hot water, prompting the presidential candidate to deliver a major race speech last week.

Also, WND reported last week Obama's Chicago church reprinted an opinion piece by the Hamas terror group that defended terrorism as legitimate resistance, refused to recognize the right of Israel to exist and compared the terror group's official charter - which calls for the murder of Jews - to America's Declaration of Independence.
from http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=59735

Some folks attempt to excuse this type of racist rhetoric, calling it 'common' in black churches.

Commentator Juan Williams, when discussing the earlier Jeremiah Wright fiasco said 'if anyone knows something about the black church, I do. And I've NEVER heard such things in church.'
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 08:57 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

They won't have to.

By the time Obama wins the nomination he will have been crippled by Hillary.

Very possibly neither one will have the votes by the time the convention, and given the hatred between the two camps now, would they all decide to turn to the great Al Gore as their only remaining option to save the party from total destruction?

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/mar/24/mark-tomasik-dont-discount-gore-led-ticket/
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 09:24 am
okie wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

They won't have to.

By the time Obama wins the nomination he will have been crippled by Hillary.

Very possibly neither one will have the votes by the time the convention, and given the hatred between the two camps now, would they all decide to turn to the great Al Gore as their only remaining option to save the party from total destruction?

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/mar/24/mark-tomasik-dont-discount-gore-led-ticket/

I was just reading this article and intended to comment on it.

Although I have been talking about the large possibility of Al Gore as a compromise candidate, one thing struck me as odd about Tomasik's remarks.

Florida was stripped of all it's delegates AND superdelegates, were they not?

What's he talking about voting in the convention for?

And why does the Palm article only discuss the delegates not counting, but avoids mentioning the same of supers such as Tomasik?

The Four State Pledge (which Hillary broke) specifically mentions the loss of the supers:

Quote:
Four State Pledge Letter 2008
Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, South Carolina
August 28, 2007

WHEREAS, the DNC Rules and Bylaws Committee, along with approval from the full body of the DNC, established the 2008 Presidential nominating calendar in 2005.
WHEREAS, the nominating calendar increases diversity with the early participation of African Americans, Hispanics, Asian Americans, Native Americans and labor members.
WHEREAS, the nominating calendar honors the traditional role of retail politics early in the nominating process.
WHEREAS, the nominating calendar provides geographical balance with contests in the
Heartland, East, South and West.
WHEREAS, it is the desire of Presidential campaigns, the DNC, the states and the American people to bring finality, predictability and common sense to the nominating calendar.
WHEREAS, the DNC Rules and Bylaws Committee will strip states of 100% of their delegates and super delegates to the DNC National Convention if they violate the nomination calendar.

THEREFORE, I _____________, Democratic Candidate for President, in honor and in
accordance with DNC rules, pledge to actively campaign in the pre-approved early states Iowa, Nevada, New Hampshire and South Carolina. I pledge I shall not campaign or participate in any election contest occurring in any state not already authorized by the DNC to take place in the DNC approved pre-window (any date prior to February 5, 2008). Campaigning shall include but is not limited to purchasing media or campaign advocacy of any kind, attending or hosting events of more than 200 people to promote one's candidacy for a preference primary and employing staff in the state in question. It does not include activities specifically related to raising campaign
resources such as fundraising events or the hiring of fundraising staff.

from http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/2/10/164650/509/500/454101
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 01:52 pm
A Democracy is a government in the hands of men
of low births,
no property and
unskilled labour"-- Aristotle
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2008 04:40 pm
What we abhor as a species are illegal, aggressive invasions and brutal occupations of innocent states, exploitations and repression of the individual and criminality and mass murder that is allowed to transpire and go unaccountable.

What the people of the Middle East want is exactly what the western world already has.

What they want is freedom from imperialism, freedom from tyranny, freedom to exploit their own resources, for their own benefit, for their present and future generations. What they seek is a chance to be human at the dawn of the 21st century.

What they ask is that they be seen the same as any other person in this planet, possessing the same emotions, fears and opinions, the same behaviors and desires.

What they seek is the empathy and understanding for the lives they must endure, the tyranny they must live under and the Crusade of Surge and Siege the Empire has imposed on them.

So close your eyes, contemplate reality and not spoon-fed fantasy, envision and empathize, try to understand alien pain and suffering, put yourself in the shoes of the millions being strangulated by the Empire, and prepare to enter the fires of imperialism.
http://www.valenzuelasveritas.blogspot.com/
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 11:59 am
mysteryman wrote:
Apparently, both of them have embellished their records in the Senate.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/24/politics/washingtonpost/main3961010.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_3961010

Quote:
After weeks of arduous negotiations, on April 6, 2006, a bipartisan group of senators burst out of the "President's Room," just off the Senate chamber, with a deal on new immigration policy.

As the half-dozen senators -- including John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) -- headed to announce their plan, they met Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.), who made a request common when Capitol Hill news conferences are in the offing: "Hey, guys, can I come along?" And when Obama went before the microphones, he was generous with his list of senators to congratulate -- a list that included himself.

Quote:
To Senate staff members, who had been arriving for 7 a.m. negotiating sessions for weeks, it was a galling moment. Those morning sessions had attracted just three to four senators a side, Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) recalled, each deeply involved in the issue. Obama was not one of them. But in a presidential contest involving three sitting senators, embellishment of legislative records may be an inevitability, Specter said with a shrug.

Quote:
Clinton also has her share of colleagues only too willing scrutinize her claims. Her campaign Web site describes Clinton's "successful effort to create" the popular State Children's Health Insurance Program during her husband's tenure in the White House, and she has placed herself in the middle of major international events, including the Northern Ireland peace process and the Balkan conflict.

But prominent Democratic senators, Irish historians and even Sinbad the comedian, who accompanied Clinton to Kosovo, are challenging some of her assertions.

During months of SCHIP negotiations in 1997, her name rarely surfaced in news accounts. Clinton never testified before Congress or held a news conference on the bill. When Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (Utah), the lead GOP negotiator of the children's health bill, heard reports that Clinton was depicting herself as SCHIP's main advocate, "I had to blink a few times," he said. Hatch said he doesn't recall a single conversation with Clinton about SCHIP, even a mention of her name. "If she was involved, I didn't know about it," he said.

So, if both of them are trying to pad their record, why should either of them be trusted?

The way Hilly attempted to pad her resume by telling whoppers about braving gunfire in Bosnia are classic.

Either she is too stupid to know that cameras accompanied her on the trip, or so arrogant she thought the media would never call her on it.

Which do you think?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 07:41 pm
real life wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Apparently, both of them have embellished their records in the Senate.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/24/politics/washingtonpost/main3961010.shtml?source=RSSattr=HOME_3961010

Quote:
After weeks of arduous negotiations, on April 6, 2006, a bipartisan group of senators burst out of the "President's Room," just off the Senate chamber, with a deal on new immigration policy.

As the half-dozen senators -- including John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) -- headed to announce their plan, they met Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.), who made a request common when Capitol Hill news conferences are in the offing: "Hey, guys, can I come along?" And when Obama went before the microphones, he was generous with his list of senators to congratulate -- a list that included himself.

Quote:
To Senate staff members, who had been arriving for 7 a.m. negotiating sessions for weeks, it was a galling moment. Those morning sessions had attracted just three to four senators a side, Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) recalled, each deeply involved in the issue. Obama was not one of them. But in a presidential contest involving three sitting senators, embellishment of legislative records may be an inevitability, Specter said with a shrug.

Quote:
Clinton also has her share of colleagues only too willing scrutinize her claims. Her campaign Web site describes Clinton's "successful effort to create" the popular State Children's Health Insurance Program during her husband's tenure in the White House, and she has placed herself in the middle of major international events, including the Northern Ireland peace process and the Balkan conflict.

But prominent Democratic senators, Irish historians and even Sinbad the comedian, who accompanied Clinton to Kosovo, are challenging some of her assertions.

During months of SCHIP negotiations in 1997, her name rarely surfaced in news accounts. Clinton never testified before Congress or held a news conference on the bill. When Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (Utah), the lead GOP negotiator of the children's health bill, heard reports that Clinton was depicting herself as SCHIP's main advocate, "I had to blink a few times," he said. Hatch said he doesn't recall a single conversation with Clinton about SCHIP, even a mention of her name. "If she was involved, I didn't know about it," he said.

So, if both of them are trying to pad their record, why should either of them be trusted?

The way Hilly attempted to pad her resume by telling whoppers about braving gunfire in Bosnia are classic.

Either she is too stupid to know that cameras accompanied her on the trip, or so arrogant she thought the media would never call her on it.

Which do you think?

Both!!
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:39 pm
As pressure mounts, can Ms. Clinton bring herself to give up her lifelong dream? I don't think so, so that means she is going to ride this out with every trick she can think of, plus who knows, Obama could have a heart attack or something? If absolutely every option is gone, then she may work to help Obama lose badly to McCain, blame the party for the debacle, and run in 2012. There is no telling what they might bring out of their bag of dirty tricks. The only remaining alternative is to run as a third party, perhaps with a vp choice that she thinks could undermine both Obama and McCain, I don't give much chance of that, but who knows, the presidency is what this woman has lived for her entire life.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/03/28/clinton-fights-pressure-to-withdraw-tees-up-for-fight-with-party-elders/
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:53 pm
Fox News? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:54 pm
Vietnamnurse Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 12:34 am
Yesterday Obama likened the Democratic primary race to the Bataan death march.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 05:59 am
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:

I dont know that he said that, but IF HE DID that would be an insult to the memory of the men that died on that march.

There is no way he can compare a presidential campaign to the suffering, mistreatment, starvation, and the other horrors of the Bataan Death March.

Can you provide some sort of link to him saying that?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:13 am
mysteryman wrote:
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:

I dont know that he said that, but IF HE DID that would be an insult to the memory of the men that died on that march.

There is no way he can compare a presidential campaign to the suffering, mistreatment, starvation, and the other horrors of the Bataan Death March.

We're all getting pretty touchy here. I doubt he meant to offend US soldiers. I understood the reference.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:17 am
engineer wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:

We're all getting pretty touchy here. I doubt he meant to offend US soldiers. I understood the reference.

You may have, but I would like to see it in context since I didnt hear him say it.
Thats why I asked for a link.

I am not saying it was a deliberate insult, but comparing the grind of a political campaign to the horrors of the death march is a very poor choice of words at best.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:28 am
mysteryman wrote:
engineer wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:

You may have, but I would like to see it in context since I didnt hear him say it.
Thats why I asked for a link.

I am not saying it was a deliberate insult, but comparing the grind of a political campaign to the horrors of the death march is a very poor choice of words at best.

WOW!....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/27/obama-compares-election-t_n_93784.html

Quote:

"For those of you who are just weary of the primary, and feeling kind of ground down or that it's like a Bataan death march, I just want everybody to know that the future is bright,"
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:28 am
Here's the link.

Here's the quote:

Quote:
"I am absolutely confident that by the time this thing is over, the Democratic party will be completely unified."
"For those of you who are just weary of the primary, and feeling kind of ground down or that it's like a Bataan death march, I just want everybody to know that the future is bright."
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:31 am
engineer wrote:
Here's the link.

Here's the quote:

Quote:
"I am absolutely confident that by the time this thing is over, the Democratic party will be completely unified."
"For those of you who are just weary of the primary, and feeling kind of ground down or that it's like a Bataan death march, I just want everybody to know that the future is bright."

OK, having read his comments, and being able to see the context of how he meant it, then I will stand by my comment that it was an extremely poor choice of words, and he should have known better then to use that analogy.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 08:49 am
Jee-sus jumpin up kee-ryst on a pogo stick.....

Aren't you folks on the right always whining about the PC police infringing on your freedom of speech? No one in their right minds thinks for a nanosecond that Obama meant anything bad against the men, women and children who underwent the torture of the Bataan march!!

It's like, someone said "Texas is hot as Hell in the summer", and some dummy is tring to claim he made a disparaging remark about Christians.

I mean - WTF?!?!
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 09:54 am
snood wrote:
Jee-sus jumpin up kee-ryst on a pogo stick.....

Aren't you folks on the right always whining about the PC police infringing on your freedom of speech? No one in their right minds thinks for a nanosecond that Obama meant anything bad against the men, women and children who underwent the torture of the Bataan march!!

It's like, someone said "Texas is hot as Hell in the summer", and some dummy is tring to claim he made a disparaging remark about Christians.

I mean - WTF?!?!

I'm not on the right snood.
0 Replies