Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Programs

eoe

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 05:43 pm
I was so perturbed when the Lifetime channel started showing reruns of
The Nanny" in the mornings between the reruns of "Golden Girls." But now I'm hooked!! Fran Drescher, annoying when she was on network tv, is now adorable. Even Mr. Sheffield, her boss, is kinda sexy to me. Go figure...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 12:17 am
Does anybody watch So Graham Norton? I started watching it last year and I have become an addict. I rushed home this evening so I could see his interview with Dustin Hoffman (who looked great).
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 12:23 am
Who is Graham Norton and what network is it on?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 12:35 am
Hi Larry! Graham Norton is a very funny Irish man, quite gay, who is nearly a leprechaun. He's on BBC and started his show last summer. I think he is hilarious. My son was watching him a bit this evening with me and couldn't believe it when they didn't bleep some words that would definitely be bleeped on American TV.

Here's the BBC writeup on him:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/comedy_games/so_graham_norton/so_graham_norton.jsp
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 12:40 am
Hi Piff - how dare you let me know you have BBC America! I may never speak to you again. I'd trade nearly my entire cable lineup for BBC America. Laughing
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 12:42 am
Love the poll on that link you gave me:

Who would be Graham's best fantasy guest?

Joan of Arc
David Brent
Judy Garland
The Beast (from Beauty and the Beast)
Caligula
George Bush
Little Red Riding Hood
Michael Jackson
Dolly, the sheep

He must be a character.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 12:47 am
Oh no! You don't get BBC America? How can you STAND it? Does that mean you don't watch....gasp... Absolutely Fabulous?

Graham Norton is so outrageous, yep, just like the name of his show, but he is also incredibly funny and always seems to be enjoying himself. Quite entertaining. <Can't you ever get to see BBC??>
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 01:17 am
I have seen AbFab - it is on Comedy Central, but I don't really watch it that much because its an edited version. A few years ago when it was getting some attention here, I rented some episodes at the video store, and loved it. The only BBC I get is on PBS - 30 minutes of daily news and all the PBS BBC shows, Masterpiece Theater, etc. Saturday nights on PBS sees four full hours of BBC sitcoms - but these are old ones from the 70s and 80s. There are a few other British shows like Black Books that have been on Comedy Central and a couple of other networks, but I sure wish we had BBC America. I saw it briefly at a cousin's house, because he had satellite, the bastard. Laughing Tears welled up, I had to leave. Laughing
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 01:21 am
I do get a minor fix from the wonderful new BBC7 (online) radio. I post their weekly newsletter here (below) every Friday. They have some great stuff.

"Radio Programs"
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3674
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 01:35 am
Oooh, the BBC7 sounds good. I just briefly glanced to see what it was -- I adore Hercule Poirot.

I like the combination on BBC of humorous sex and so very little violence, other than the odd murder, tastefully hidden usually. So, it isn't fair -- I think I'd cry, too! I'm sorry!!!

I also prefer to watch the BBC news. Much less filler and a broader look at world news.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 02:18 am
I'm sure BBC America will make its way here soon. But I am in a cultural backwater, so it might be a long wait. BBC news is very refreshing - don't recall one story on M. Jackson, for example.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 02:38 am
Who?

LOL, there are many people and events that I have happily learned to ignore, however it was in London where the infamous baby-holding incident occurred. I think somebody reported it, but I didn't hear about it over BBC news.

Must admit, when I was in the UK a while back I was disappointed with the programming on TV. Lots of bad American sit-coms, even worse game shows and I couldn't find the BBC programs I'd grown to love. 'Course I wasn't really there to watch TV.

So, Sarasota is a cultural backwater? I'll have to look out for that next time I'm in FL. I'd have thought the entire state would be wired and plumbed for all the new-fangled thingabobs.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 03:22 am
Actually, I meant Florida as a whole, but I suppose Sarasota is thought of as a small oases of culture - The New School (university of the Arts, mostly), the Ringling Museum of Art, the Asolo Theater, Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall, formerly the home of an annual French Film Festival, not to mention the best movie theater in a 50 mile radius - showing mostly independent and foreign films - now showing, The Bread My Sweet, Talk to Her, The Pianist, The Spies Who Never Were.

I'm kind of hard on Florida sometimes.

England began to worry me when I went there in 1981, only to be accosted by 'Dallas' fans.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 09:05 am
Pifka,
...I love it when you talk all technical and carryin' on. :wink:
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 09:19 am
Well, Larry, small oases of culture sounds good to me! I'm not too sure where Sarasota is... OK, have checked a map. On the southern margin of the Tampa-St. Petersburg megalopolis, yet you have all that? Yep, you can hardly complain, despite no BBC!

Dallas? Hmmm, I never watched it, ever, though lots of people apparently did, it used to be hugely popular. I think it was on when we swore off TV, as we did for about ten years. You are absolutely right, Britain is not always a huge bastion of great taste in TV shows (not that Graham Norton could be described in any way as... a model of great taste, LOL) -- what was the show I was watching while in Scotland... oh, something truly bad and long off the air here, yet showing during regular fall season prime-time there. Still, the UK is the country that came up with the original reality-based TV shows -- Antique Road Show to start, the original Survivor! on that island off Scotland, Ground Force, Charlie's Army, Changing Rooms, House Invaders, What Not to Wear. They definitely created a trend.

Anyway, I enjoyed my little bit of So Graham Norton last night, especially Dustin Hoffman, but I will not rub it in!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 11:27 am
Loved "Dallas"!! Didn't feel guilty about it either. J.R. was a hoot. I'm still looking for reruns.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 02:13 am
I don't remember noticing Dallas reruns anywhere out there in cable-land, which is surprising given its popularity.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 10:47 pm
Booman! Haha..... or should I say HeeHaw?? Yeppers, my world is filled with whatchamacallits and thingabobs... and that is just the technical side!

I looked up Dallas on Google... according to one website it hasn't been aired since May 3rd, 1991, after playing for 13 seasons. It began in 1978. I quit watching TV regularly in 1976 and didn't get a TV until 1985, which pretty much explains my not having a clue about Dallas.

I am getting ready to watch Malcolm in the Middle -- a friend's son-in-law is supposed to be on tonight.
0 Replies

Bluxx

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 07:04 am
Okay...um....I'm addicted to Buffy The Vampire Slayer. *Winces*
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 07:51 am
Morning bluxx, Welcome to A2K!! Very Happy

Don't wince, there's a ton of us "Buffy Addicts" here! Cool
0 Replies