Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Programs

quinn1

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 01:24 pm
PMS channell....thats too funny!!!!!!!!!!
Laughing
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 03:08 pm
Thanks for the greeting, Matrix. Nice to be here. Not sure how I feel about the term "just hatched," though at my age, I should take it as a compliment!
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 03:56 pm
Don't worry D'artagnan, before you know it you'll be a full fledged........NEWBIE! huh? huh?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 04:36 pm
"Just hatched" is quite humorous, I think -- there's always the inference that some of us might be looking for the nest, however. Laughing
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 05:02 pm
Love "Groucho" reruns.

I have a terrible room so I watch changing rooms et al looking for a solution.

And I adore Will Smith reruns in his "Prince" era

sg
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 08:05 pm
My hand is way up for 'Fresh Prince' reruns, too!
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 09:19 pm
Okay, I might as well come out in the open with this. When I hear about an extremly popular program, no matter how unlikely it seems, I'll give it at least one shot, to see what the fuss is all about. For this reason, I gave certain shows like, Survivor, Big Brothers, The Osbournes, etc., 5 or 10 minutes of my time before leaving them forever. However, this Anna Nichol Smith...she is just so cute, with that face and that voice,.... seems like almost everyday, I have to check in on her for about two minutes. It gets boring quick, but I just can't resist looking in. Embarrassed Ther, I've said it.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 10:52 pm
The Anna Nicole show is a favorite topic to pick on from my favorite radio station.

I dunno.....She doesn't come across as 'cute' to me at all.

But, to each his own.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 11:16 pm
I never thought so myself, until I saw her with a minimum of make-up, and heard her little baby voice.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 11:22 pm
Okey-doke, booman. As I'm fond of saying.....'Whatever flips your dress up'. More power to ya!
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 11:27 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2002 11:43 pm
During the entire first "Survivor", I sat with rapt attention. Would not miss a one. I suppose that I was impressed by the novelty. Now I would not go near the show!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 04:38 pm
Re "Survivor", "Anna Nichole Smith" and other reality shows: I guess I just don't get it. Especially the ones with ordinary people competing and talking to the camera about how they feel about each other. Clearly, many people find this entertaining, but I can't stick with any of these shows for more than a few minutes.

Is this a generational problem? I suspect it is, since I know a teenager who was riveted to "American Idol". Perhaps she sees herself as being on TV some day...
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 05:02 pm
D'artagnan,
...One feeling I have when I try to watch a reality show, is the feeling that I'm in someone's business, that makes me uncomfortable. Couple this with boredom and that makes it unwatchable for me. Even Anna, my cute little (?) guilty pleasure, I can only handle two minutes a day, at most.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 07:21 pm
Booman ~ maybe that's what makes me uncomfortable watching shows as mentioned. I'm uncomfortable watching other's uncomfortableness.....? (I used to change the channel all the time when Dan Quail was on.....)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 15 Dec, 2002 09:00 pm
That's it, Rae. I feel the same way about movies such as "The Parents" with Ben Stiller. He was so uncomfortable and trying so hard, only to come across like a fool. That's not humorous to me. It's too painful to watch.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 10:43 am
Booman, eoe and Rae: I think the discomfort that we feel while watching these shows is, paradoxically, what makes the shows entertaining for the people who enjoy them. There was an article along these lines in the NY Times recently. How else to account for these programs' popularity?

Considering people used to enjoy watching hangings, I suppose things could be worse...
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 03:20 pm
Considering the popularity of these shows, and movies we must be in a very small minority. I really thought I was alone in being uncomfortable with FICTIONAL embarrassment. As well done as "Seinfeld" was, I could never enjoy it as much as others seem to, because I felt so-o-o embarrassed for George.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 03:30 pm
Speaking of "to painful to watch," and Ben Stiller, what about that movie he did with Cameron Diaz?...The caught in the zipper scene?.....OWWWW! Mad ....I groaned,...I covered,... I turned my head. How could anyone, especially a man, laugh at THAT! Shocked
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 03:41 pm
Since I get harangued when I admit to being a wrestling fan, my guilty pleasure show would be "Tough Enough". I enjoy watching the kids getting hammered about and ridiculed by no-nonsense trainers.
0 Replies