Albuquerque A2K Get Together - Spring 2008

alex240101

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:35 am
maybe from a different angle
I gather by reading this thread that some of you live in New Mexico. Have any of you ever seen the watermelon in the Sandia mountain?
Authors note: I'm not crazy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 02:24 pm
just yesterday...
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 07:32 pm
Re: maybe from a different angle
alex240101 wrote:

Why not - I understand it's a pre-requisite for living in, or even visiting, ABQ???
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 07:43 pm
alex240101 wrote:
I gather by reading this thread that some of you live in New Mexico. Have any of you ever seen the watermelon in the Sandia mountain?

Is that something like Linus and the Big Pumpkin?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 08:34 pm
margo wrote:
alex240101 wrote:

Why not - I understand it's a pre-requisite for living in, or even visiting, ABQ???

Works for me Very Happy
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:52 pm
margo wrote:

Then I failed

I dont recall seeing a watermelon in the 15 years I was there...

but I did see the oreo cookie..
And the bison
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:34 am
shewolfnm wrote:

Then I failed

I dont recall seeing a watermelon in the 15 years I was there...

Well, actually I saw it nearly every day day I've been there for a week - it's really hard to miss (though weather-related).
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 10:18 am
maybe at sunset
I'm not going to get a real answer here, am I? Osso-please explain.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 10:24 am
Here, from Wikipedia, re 'watermelon' --

"Sandia means watermelon in Spanish, and is a reference to the watermelon color of the mountains at sunset. Also, when viewed from the west, the profile of the mountains is a long ridge, with a thin zone of green conifers near the top, suggesting the "rind" of the watermelon. However, as Robert Julyan notes[1], "the most likely explanation is the one believed by the Sandia Indians: the Spaniards, when they encountered the Pueblo in 1540, called it Sandia, because they thought the squash growing there were watermelons, and the name Sandia soon was transferred to the mountains east of the pueblo." He also notes that the Sandia Pueblo Indians call the mountain Bien Mur, "big mountain." However in recent times the name Sandia is used only for the watermelon color of the mountains and not for the squash."

First time I saw the Sandias, I saw that watermelon coloration from the windows in the airport just after I deplaned... just plain gorgeous. And I saw it two days ago as well, when some of us were driving to Rudy's to pick up a batch of bbq ribs....
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 10:46 am
no dessert
Thank you, thank you Wikipedia huh.
What's on this evenings menu? Eggplant parm here. Garlic bread, and maybe some wine and cheese ital. sausage.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 10:46 am
no dessert
Thank you, thank you Wikipedia huh.
What's on this evenings menu? Eggplant parm here. Garlic bread, and maybe some wine and cheese ital. sausage.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 10:53 am
Might be time to try making a sfinciuni, something that is new to me and that I've got the ingredients for - two layers pizza dough and a stuffing of either tomatoes, onion, anchovy, oregano, or.. meat and cheese and onion.
But who knows, the day is young.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:01 am
fresh oregeno
I always wanted a pizza stone. That would be a good excuse to buy one.
Sfinciuni sounds delicious, besides sounding like it's missing a vowel.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2008 11:55 pm
Sglass wrote:
alex240101 wrote:

Is that something like Linus and the Big Pumpkin?

Razz Wonder how many people can remember that?!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 12:36 am
You only have to remember as far back as last Halloween, Margo.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 01:54 am
Meantime, I talked to my ex today, and he said my niece and his bro are...

well, let me not count on them being here in April. And if they are and a2kers get here then, I'll work something out. As in, he can do what he would want to anyway, explore New Mexico, and she can join me when and if she feels like it in meeting my pals. We can always find hours to talk by ourselves, and she has always been keen to meet my friends (I do have some great friends..)

She's presently taking a bus across the city in early a.m to re take a math class she hates in some kind of intensive format. (More to all that, yaak)
I'll call to support her, but won't yammer about Spring Break.

Anyway, I'll just say any week is fine, re A2k here.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 11:50 am
Smile
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 04:21 pm
roger wrote:
You only have to remember as far back as last Halloween, Margo.

Halloween is not a feature here, Roger (although increasing - US influence creeping in!)

We're a very religious country, don't you know, Roger, and we honour All Saints Day, rather than All Saints Eve!

<well - that was a load of crap!>
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 04:25 pm
14 people went for "maybe" in the poll above. 8 people indicated a preference as to which "window" (time-frame), but actually most of those had no problem with any of the windows. I assume that the 6 not expressing a preference had no preference.
One person said window #4 (4/23-4/28) was the only one that would work while another said #4 wouldn't work. Of course, they were, like all of us, only in as maybe's in the first place.

I remember feeling that I didn't get a clear idea of what the weather tends to be like in April.

Are there any suggestions as to where to go from here?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 05:33 pm
all of May is generally quite nice, highs in the 70's and cool evenings. I'm looking forward.
0 Replies