Coyotes Are Good (not)

msolga

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 06:01 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
There is nothing more gutless than a man with a high-powered rifle and scope shooting a loping or grazing animal. What the hell kind of crap is that? If you're gonna hunt, use a bow or a knife.

Sigh.
Gus, my hero!
A man truly of my own heart!Very Happy
Please seriously consider this proposal of marriage!*

* Hang on! I just had a vague recollection of am existing Mrs G!
Damn!

Sigh. Oh well, it's the thought that counts! :wink:
0 Replies

cateyes221981

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 09:13 pm
Actually things arent so black and white

Coyotes have HELPED birds in some areas ( particularly WATERFOWL) by taking out serious bird predators like Minks, foxes, coons and rats

Coyotes go after and do indeed kill medium sized predators which LOVE TO RAID Bird nests

Here coyotes have totally lowered the fox, skunk, possem, & Feral cat population

Ok I do love domestic cats a lot but to be honest they dont have a place in the wild here! And coyotes are the ONLY Predator out there that can control them when they go wild

Would hate to see what happened in australia to happen here!

Seems like anything said to the OP goes in one ear and right out the other!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 09:21 pm
Cateyes - welcome to A2K. You'll find very few people here willing to change their opinion about coyotes (on either side - pro or con).

I'm right in line with you, though. I know coyotes promote healthy ecosystems. I could explain why, as you have done. But, the coyote hunters won't listen. They'll throw out claims of attacks on humans (almost never) and pets (rarely) without considering the balance of things.
0 Replies

cateyes221981

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 09:30 pm
Only a foolish irresponsible person would lose a pet to a coyote. THey probably never even cared about the pet in the first place to let it get in that situation

DOgs should NOT be let off leash to run and play in the woods by themselves

If a coyote doesnt kill them, A car or farmer will when it starts eating someones chickens

As far as attacks on children, well you shouldnt leave ur kids to run around alone in the woods either (if you really love them), predatory humans & domestic dogs get thousands of kids a year

Child molesters are MUCH more common than everyone thinks
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 09:33 pm
I am more in the middle here myself, but cj's arguments aren't drawing my fire here, cuz there are better places....

I got a problem with 'em in the city, more for their sake, but also for housepets...

In the wild, they get what they can cover...

RH
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 09:36 pm
Coyotes rarely get cats. Cats can climb trees, coyotes can't. A cat is more likely to be dinner for a fischer (a sort of weasel) or a large owl. Coyotes are also good because they prey on weak or sick deer, thus allowing for healthy animals to survive. Hunters who are only interested in trophies take the best of the gene pool, thus leaving the weakest to breed. In my state, white tailed deer have been getting smaller because of over hunting for trophy animals.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 09:37 pm
cateyes221981 wrote:
Only a foolish irresponsible person would lose a pet to a coyote. THey probably never even cared about the pet in the first place to let it get in that situation

OK, we're partin' ways...

Coyotes in the midwest do on occasion wander way too deep into urban core areas. We try to catch em, and turn em loose, but they do pose an issue at times, and being foolish is not why a pooch in the back yard gets eaten by a near starved coyote that took a wrong turn...

RH
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 09:39 pm
cateyes221981 wrote:

Only a foolish person would make such a statement.

Quote:
DOgs should NOT be let off leash to run and play in the woods by themselves

If a coyote doesnt kill them, A car or farmer will when it starts eating someones chickens

The problem, cat eyes, is coyotes are in the city. They're in my city. They are wandering around my neighborhood as it gets later in the day. They attack small dogs and cats because they are hungry.

Quote:
As far as attacks on children, well you shouldnt leave ur kids to run around alone in the woods either (if you really love them), predatory humans & domestic dogs get thousands of kids a year

Ah ... yes, if domestic dog attacks are a concern -- hell, they get thousands of kids a year -- then it's without question that coyote attacks are of MUCH greater concern.

I doubt you realized you were bolstering OP's argument when you typed that, did you?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 09:52 pm
Rockhead wrote:
cateyes221981 wrote:

OK, we're partin' ways...

Coyotes in the midwest do on occasion wander way too deep into urban core areas. We try to catch em, and turn em loose, but they do pose an issue at times, and being foolish is not why a pooch in the back yard gets eaten by a near starved coyote that took a wrong turn...

RH

Well, we had a coyote recently in Boston - deep in Boston. What was it eating? Not people, not pets, but trash and maybe pigeons and squirrels.

Coyotes are crafty, they are also cautious. They know in an innate way that if they get hurt by attacking a dog or human, they will not do well trying to survive in the wild.

Tico - who gets thousands of children a year? Are you saying that coyotes kill more kids than house dogs do? If so, you're mistaken, very mistaken.
0 Replies

cateyes221981

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 09:54 pm
Tico

Domestic dogs get way more kids a year then coyotes do Rolling Eyes The domestic dog attack number is up to what? a hundred thousand in total now? While the coyote has a total attacks of like 20 in the last 100 years

It doesnt take a scientist to understand that coyotes and domestic dogs are not the same species Rolling Eyes Neither is it that hard to understand that coyotes are way more reluctant to attack a person than a domestic dog

I dont expect you to understand this concept though

Also how are coyotes getting peoples dogs and cats? Foolish Flakey irresponsible owners thats how!

I hope you do you realize coyotes cant open doors? So they cannot walk into someones house and take their pet and run away lol People put their animals in stupid carless situations and end up getting their so called loved pet killed

Ive been out hundreds of times with my dog and never once did a coyote try and touch it while im around, Im not even a very big person either. I am sure if i FOOLISHLY left my dog out alone in the woods at night they would get him though but im not that stupid or carless :wink:
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 09:59 pm
I live in the country and my dog doesn't need to be on a leash. He knows his boundries and he stays within them. But I have seen a coyote the past month or so. Everytime I have seen him he's been in the field behind my house.

He is sort of erie because it's not like he is walking the same path or the same direction. So he's not really going from point A to point B. In other words he's not traveling to the same place. If I start to see him on my land, then I will do what I have to do to protect my baby dog. I have a pond. There's a possibility he's drinking from it. I dunno. For his sake I hope not.

I do have a gun for protection and I definitely know how to use it. But, again.......it would only be if I feared for my dog or myself. For now, I'm not doing anything. I'm just watching him.

I'm really just a sap :wink: . I don't believe in killing them as a sport. But cha gotta do what cha gotta do. And my dog has a right to enjoy his life without being on a leash when he's in his own yard. And this coyote roams during the day. Not just at night. And not just in the woods.
0 Replies

cateyes221981

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 10:08 pm
I hope you do realize that if you kill one coyote another one is going to move in and REPLACE IT? If the shot coyote doesnt get the dog another coyote, person, dog or animal WILL

Domestic dogs kill many more DOMESTIC dogs every year than coyotes do Rolling Eyes

Domestic dogs are dogs like rotties, pit bulls german shepherds etc..

Doesn't sound like you really care about your dog at all, I am so disgusted! Heartless owners like you make me sick! I feel so sorry for the poor dog who is gonna eventually die a horrible death Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 10:11 pm
Watch your puppy, Brooke. Coyotes are quite clever, he could lure
your pup into the fields. I think, the ones that come out during the daytime
are either young ones or desperate ones.

We have lots of coyotes in the canyons here, and I have never seen
one during the daytime. They usually come out at dusk and roam around
during the night. Nonetheless, we watch our dog very closely, and he
never goes out alone...
0 Replies

JustBrooke

cateyes221981 wrote:
I hope you do realize that if you kill one coyote another one is going to move in and REPLACE IT? If the shot coyote doesnt get the dog another coyote, person, dog or animal WILL

Domestic dogs kill many more DOMESTIC dogs every year than coyotes do Rolling Eyes

Doesn't sound like you really care about your dog at all, I am so disgusted! Heartless owners like you make me sick! I feel so sorry for the poor dog who is gonna eventually die a horrible death Crying or Very sad

What the hell is your problem. Don't tell me I don't care about my dog! You don't know me. You know nothing about me. So back the hell off
0 Replies

Rockhead

They can jump chainlink fences, and little yappy dogs can not. Your argument is not all wrong , but offensive, none the less.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 10:13 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Watch your puppy, Brooke. Coyotes are quite clever, he could lure
your pup into the fields. I think, the ones that come out during the daytime
are either young ones or desperate ones.

We have lots of coyotes in the canyons here, and I have never seen
one during the daytime. They usually come out at dusk and roam around
during the night. Nonetheless, we watch our dog very closely, and he
never goes out alone...

My dog's not a puppy. He is over a hundred pounds. I do watch him when he goes outside now. But I will kill the coyotes before I let them near my dogs. So .....all I am saying is they best stay out of my yard
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 10:16 pm
Oh, I thought it's still a little puppy. Smile I don't think, a coyote will tackle
a 100 lb. dog, but I agree with you, and you need to protect you and
your dog.
0 Replies

cateyes221981

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 10:19 pm
Justbrooke doesnt have their dog in a chain link fence

If they really did have a heart and care about their dog they wouldnt be constantly subecting them to danger like this

Sorry it just upsets me when people dont take care of their pets and the poor pet suffers for it Sad I have seen so many poor dogs die because they were left out on their own by horrible owners usually they get hit on the road but ive also seen stray dogs kill other dogs as well and I wasnt able to stop it and it ended in tragedy

My neighbor has shot dogs that come on his land and mess with his birds (ducks and chickens) I love dogs just hate to see them killed like this
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 10:20 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Oh, I thought it's still a little puppy. Smile I don't think, a coyote will tackle
a 100 lb. dog, but I agree with you, and you need to protect you and
your dog.

Yeah I agree. And the part that scares me the most about this coyote is that he does roam during the day. That does seem abnormal. My dog is in the house most of the time. I hope I never have to harm the poor thing because they do remind me of a dog and I am a huge dog lover. I really would hate to have to shoot him.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 10:22 pm
cateyes221981 wrote:

The newbie be nice to it cover is about to wear off....

Might choose yer next words real careful like...

Rockhead
0 Replies