Coyotes Are Good (not)

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 07:34 am
From another hunter:

"I shot a big doe on Wednesday evening after a great hunt in which deer were moving all around my stand. She ran after the shot, so after waiting a half hour or so I began to track her. I followed the blood trail fairly deep into the woods, but after 200 yards or so, I couldn't find any more blood.

From the looks of things, she was hit pretty hard, and had stopped and laid down twice within 30 yards, I figured that I might be pushing her, and she needed a bit more time to die, and since it was late and I was alone I thought it might be best to go back and pick up the search in the morning when I would have a buddy with me. It would be in the 30s overnight; no problem on meat spoilage.

Thursday morning at sunrise I got back on the trail... even in the daylight it took us 30 - 45 minutes to find the next blood spot, which was in some really thick tangles, so I felt like I had made the right call by backing off for the night last night. I'd never have found that next spot in the dark. Heck, everything I've ever learned about hunting says to leave the deer over night if you think it's still alive and you're pushing it deeper into the woods.

Anyway, we followed the blood for another 60 yards, and there was the deer. Or what was left of it. Nothing but a spine, rib cage, back legs, and a backskin. The coyotes had absolutely skeletonized the deer overnight. There was blood and deer hair everywhere, and every bit of meat had been stripped from the skeleton. I've never seen such a mess.

It's always tough to lose a deer, but on this one I really felt like we played it by the book, did things right, and still lost out. I never would have imagined that the 'yotes would have done that to her in such a short time. I was confident that we'd find the deer, but I thought we'd find it intact. I'll be doing me some coyote hunting with a vengeance come January."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 9,000 • Replies: 157
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 11:13 am
How disgusting is that!

First, the "hunter" only injured the deer, and the poor thing was suffering
to no end, and secondly being devoured off by coyotes, probably while still
alive, is even more cruel.

I dislike hunters with a passion, but a half ass hunter who can't even
kill properly is even more disgusting, his license should be pulled.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 12:36 pm
You have no idea what you are talking about. Even a perfectly struck deer can surprise you.

Have you ever hunted? What about bowhunting?

What needs to be pulled is your license to post.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 01:07 pm
cj
Quote:
What needs to be pulled is your license to post
. CJ, the reason you posted that stupid hunter story is to evoke responses. Mine is that the hunter was so stupid as to not even realize that coyotes are out there.

How far away from where he shot the doe was the carcass found?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 01:11 pm
In fact this is happening more and more often as coyotes move into areas they never inhabited before. Pushed out of the desert southwest by development, they have moved northeast, and quite successfully. Hunters here in the northern, deer filled states have never had to deal with them before. A deer shot late at night that couldn't easily be tracked was often left overnight to be found the next morning. Not any longer.

Yotes will howl over a "kill", so if you're not afraid of going out in the dark with a flashlight to find your deer by heading directly into a pack of howling coyotes, you'll probably find it fairly quickly.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 01:12 pm
PS CAbelas sells night vision goggles and field glasses that are quite useful for just such eventualities.
I will be using a set for our annual post-Christmas Bald Eagle count along the Susuquehanna River. nyah nyah, merry christmas .
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 01:13 pm
Please don't murder those beautiful animals.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 01:14 pm
farmerman wrote:

How far away from where he shot the doe was the carcass found?

Uh, well, it doesn't say, does it?

You could be only a few yards away and not find a deer in the dark. There are some new tools coming on the market but not everyone has them or can afford them yet.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 01:16 pm
farmerman wrote:
PS CAbelas sells night vision goggles and field glasses that are quite useful for just such eventualities.
I will be using a set for our annual post-Christmas Bald Eagle count along the Susuquehanna River. nyah nyah, merry christmas .

Dunno why you are nyah nyahing me. I hope you find lots of baldies with your expensive glasses. I have several that live near my hunting area and they often pay me visits in the woods. They are magnificent.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 02:41 pm
What a whiny putz.

(And the hunter in the article, too.)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 06:51 am
Thanks dd for such an on topic response.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 07:03 am
I assumed that you were given this tale directly from some hunter that you personally knew. SO this was an article from your state game news?
PS, our Watershed Group bought a bunch of pieces of equipment , including 8 night vision googles for our nature classes. I didnt go out an buy my own set, but we all helped raise money b y grants, dinners (in joint sponsorship with Ducks Unlimited and the Nature Conservancy). ALso, good folks donated money to allow us to buy spotting scopes, water test kits, digital cameras, and other stuff for students to use in order to learn about the natural world around them.

We are always taking help from hunter groups who carry out special teaching projects on habitat restoration, trapping of nuisance species (beavers) and dynamiting "glory holes " for duck nesting spots.( we can always count on the hunter groups to volunteer .with the dynamiting projects).

Merry Christmas we can take up the struggle later.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 07:09 am
I have found several demoed deer lately around my property. You used to find them whole, often frozen, with maybe a leg missing from a fox or something. Now all you find is bones and fur - scattered everywhere, and coyote scat full of fur since they eat just about everything.

The coyote I've seen near me is a monster - must have crossed with a dog or a wolf somewhere along the DNA trail. Haven't been able to get a shot at him. The den is nearby and I often hear them howling - have not been able to to find it though.

The article was a post from another website.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:15 am
http://tipt3.utoledo.edu/starters/coyote/coyote2a.jpg

This gives one an idea how large the coyote I saw was. If your dog sees this, he's going to want to go play with the other "dog". The coyote will run, lead your dog back to its pack, and kill it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:34 am
cjhsa wrote:
Thanks dd for such an on topic response.

You couldn't find a better example of the depredations of coyotes than some fool who left a dead deer and was then upset that scavengers got to it?

Doesn't speak well for you or him.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 07:05 pm
Re: Coyotes Are Good (not)
cjhsa wrote:
It's always tough to lose a deer, but on this one I really felt like we played it by the book, did things right, and still lost out."[/i]

Doing things "right" (as a hunter) would have meant not shooting until you were certain that you could kill the unfortunate animal quickly & cleanly. Not putting it thorough the needless pain it obviously went through before it finally died.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 07:10 pm
cjhsa wrote:
http://tipt3.utoledo.edu/starters/coyote/coyote2a.jpg

This gives one an idea how large the coyote I saw was. If your dog sees this, he's going to want to go play with the other "dog". The coyote will run, lead your dog back to its pack, and kill it.

Perhaps, then, you should keep your dog on-leash or under voice command. A coyote is clever, but not clever enough to master-mind this plan. It may well be the way it turns out though. You make it sounds as if you think the coyote has it planned in advance.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 07:12 pm
cjhsa wrote:
In fact this is happening more and more often as coyotes move into areas they never inhabited before. Pushed out of the desert southwest by development, they have moved northeast, and quite successfully. Hunters here in the northern, deer filled states have never had to deal with them before. A deer shot late at night that couldn't easily be tracked was often left overnight to be found the next morning. Not any longer.

Yotes will howl over a "kill", so if you're not afraid of going out in the dark with a flashlight to find your deer by heading directly into a pack of howling coyotes, you'll probably find it fairly quickly.

coyotes have inhabited all of the US. Until will pushed them out. They are returning - not invading.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 07:18 pm
Hey, cj. I know who you need to call.... Cool

Beep Beep.....

He's a rep for ACME products, I believe.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:00 pm
Re: Coyotes Are Good (not)
msolga wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
It's always tough to lose a deer, but on this one I really felt like we played it by the book, did things right, and still lost out."[/i]

Doing things "right" (as a hunter) would have meant not shooting until you were certain that you could kill the unfortunate animal quickly & cleanly. Not putting it thorough the needless pain it obviously went through before it finally died.

Vegan.... bet you hate bowhunters too....

It never ceases to amaze me what non-hunters think about hunting. What is blatently obvious is that they've never even considered trying it, though most of them are quite happy to purchase the pre-killed celophane wrapped "meat" at the store.
0 Replies