THE 70's LIFESTYLE : GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 04:16 pm
are you ready to accept the challenge ?
go back to the 70's lifestyle to help protect the environment ?
or say "the heck with it , let's live it up - who knows what tomorrow might bring ? "

i don't think we have much changed from our seventies lifestyle :
- the same 1,050 square feet house - now with air-conditioning but more insulation and more energy efficient heating system ,
- one 4 cylinder car - but now with air-conditioning , but driving less ,
- still eat plenty of veggies , potatoes and bread ,
- we've found handling a large vegetable garden too much , so have to buy more in the store and at the farmers' market and at the farm ,
- buy much fewer clothing than when i was still working - cargo pants go almost anywhere - even with jacket and tie if required .

not ready to crawl into a hole but not blowing away our money or resources either .
what say you ?
hbg

Quote:
1970s lifestyle 'protects planet'

Getting back to the relatively slim, trim days of the 1970s would help to tackle climate change, researchers say.

The rising numbers of people who are overweight and obese in the UK means the nation uses 19% more food than 40 years ago, a study suggests.

That could equate to an extra 60 mega tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions a year, the team calculated.

Transport costs of a fatter population were also included in the International Journal of Epidemiology study.

Dr Phil Edwards, study leader and researcher at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said they had set out to calculate what the UK energy consumption would be if the weight of the population was put back a few decades.

“ Staying slim is good for health and for the environment ”
Dr Phil Edwards

A "normal" adult population, where only 3.5% are classed as obese, was compared with a population where 40% are obese.

These populations reflect the proportions of overweight and obese people living in the UK in the 1970s - and what is predicted for the UK in 2010, the researchers said.

article in full :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8004257.stm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,616 • Replies: 1
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 04:23 pm
@hamburger,
I'm not sure I'm ready to go back to riding a bicycle (the 100 k/day commute might be a bit much), but I think a lot of the rest of it is doable in this house.
0 Replies