Coyotes Are Good (not)

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 03:19 am
Re: Coyotes Are Good (not)
cjhsa wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me what non-hunters think about hunting. What is blatently obvious is that they've never even considered trying it, though most of them are quite happy to purchase the pre-killed celophane wrapped "meat" at the store.

You are making an appeal to authority that really isn't relevant. Most people have an opinion on murder as well without trying it.

Furthermore, while you have a point in that many people object to an act emotionally while through other behavior sanction much of the same there is a qualitative difference in the two behaviors in that one is driven by necessity and the other by sport, another difference is that the meat they eat is raised for consumption, not taken from the wild. This is relevant to conservationist positions against hunting.

Sure, you know as well as I do that many hunters are responsible conservationists but that has traditionally been the exception rather than the rule and largely came about in history through restrictions on hunters from opposing parties you decry so. Bison hunters weren't conservationists and if hunters didn't have to buy licenses and tags most wouldn't, thereby taxing the animal population without replenishment and regulation to prevent over-hunting.

I don't have a problem with hunting and would be a hunter if I had the time and opportunity. But I'd be a different kind of hunter than you because I'd have a little more understanding of the objections and a lot less vitriol and illogical responses to it.

You do hunters a disservice by being shrill and illogical in your crusade. The irony is that you are probably motivated in part by shrill and illogical emotional arguments against hunting.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 03:40 am
For over 100 years hunters and fisherman have been the primary conservationist and the primary source of tax money for conservation in the U.S. Period. Nobody else puts their money where their mouth is like hunters and fisherman when it comes to the outdoors. The last thing we want to do is lose it to a bunch of bunny huggers who have no management plan other than to let the animals starve to death when their numbers get too large.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 04:12 am
Come now cjhsa, that is not entirely true (substantial conservationist work is done by non-hunters that probably out weighs the work by hunters) and while it is true that many hunters are conservationists that doesn't detract from the fact that this came about by regulation forced upon hunting and not of the free will of the hunters.

For thousands of years before it, conservation by sport hunters was merely coincidental in that they just didn't get around to killing too many animals.

A lot of what makes hunting in the US as conservationist as it is today is from the work of the people you so vehemently oppose.

Like in many things the balance is needed. You need the adamant anti-hunter to balance out the selfish poacher and irresponsible hunter.

The balance the US enjoys didn't come by accident. The people you decry are a part of the balance in this ecosystem just as the hunting is part of the population balance.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 04:49 am
I call BULLSHIT!!!!!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 08:58 am
I'm not seeing any difference between the coyote and the hunter.

Well, except the coyote needs to hunt to eat and feed its young.

And, the coyote finished it off rather than letting the deer suffer.

And, the coyote was following instinct rather than sport.

And, it was nature vs. nature rather than using a gun as unfair advantage.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 08:59 am
...what squinney said...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 09:42 am
cjhsa wrote:
...Yotes will howl over a "kill", so if you're not afraid of going out in the dark with a flashlight to find your deer by heading directly into a pack of howling coyotes, you'll probably find it fairly quickly.

Not so great when you are the being hunted, huh?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 10:57 am
I'm quite afraid Mr Gentel has committed the logical, although rare, fallacy of appeal to reason in addressing shiksa.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 11:31 am
The problem with cj's "logic" is that there is only room in his mind for one position and all others are automatically excluded from consideration.

He doesnt have the ability to entertain two or more diverse sets of information. Thats what unites conservatives. Ya gotta buy the whole bag.

Pity really.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 11:41 am
Flag on the play! Wide net stereotyping statement!!!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 12:16 pm
Where are the rules for hunters? Do they always stay within boundaries where hunting is allowed? Do they only take the animals they shoot, thereby staying within the kill limit? Are they good enough shots that they kill with the first shot?

God no, and hunters have a large number of thoughtless idiots who will shoot at anything that moves just to say they killed something. Granted, there are stupid people everywhere, but most of them aren't armed with powerful weapons, thank heaven.

When my uncle had a ranch in Del Norte, CO, he had No Tespassing signs posted all along the fences. It didn't matter. Hunters would get in there and kill just to kill, leaving behind to rot, any deer that didn't meet their specifications. At least it was wild country, sparsely inhabited.

To me, hunting should require training before anyone can go out and shoot to kill. When Dys was a boy, his grandfather taught him how to shoot a deer with one shot from a little .22 rifle. He would put only one bullet in the rifle: if Dys missed the shot, his grandfather would immediately kill the deer. They always smoked and ate what they killed.

The kind of training Dys received made him a crack shot. In fact, hunting with a .22 is illegal because so few can make a kill with a rifle that small.

When I was a kid in Arizona, we would eat game that had been hunted. Javalina, deer, rabbits, etc. Most of us were too poor to buy meat at the grocery store.

There is a kind of honor among responsible hunters. It isn't just a sport aimed at killing something, it is a method of feeding families. And they don't leave an animal to die for hours on end.

Would you call shooting polar bears and wolves from a helicopter a legitimate sport?

Bah, it isn't possible to find a thread of reason with most hunters, sport hunters. Killing is the thrill. Killing with armor piercing bullets must be a fantastic thrill.

I usually don't post on these threads because it is so frustrating to try to use reason. I learned early on that posting on these threads is an exercise in futility, but every once in a while, something strikes a chord and I write. It does no good.

Why bother? Because I care so much, not because I am against hunting, plus, I can write from personal experience.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 12:40 pm
Very well said Diane!!!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 01:24 pm
Diane wrote:
To me, hunting should require training before anyone can go out and shoot to kill.

Then there would be only a few hunters out there, as most of them
couldn't pass the training.

cjsha gives every hunter a bad rap, mainly due to his reputation of
being an obnoxious gun loving fanatic who drools while injuring/killing
animals.

As for the coyotes: despite living in the city, we have a huge coyote
population close by in our canyons. They take care of rodents, rabbits
and squirrels that would otherwise multiply tenfold within a short period
of time. Yes, they do get occasionally a cat and a dog whose owners
are irresponsible enough to let them out unsupervised. It's not the
coyotes fault, it's the pet owners fault.
0 Replies

cateyes221981

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 11:13 am
ok the original poster is a total monster! This is a wildlife & Ecology forum why on earth are the mods letting him do this???

Please someone bann him its not fair! I thought this forum was about loving animals and wildnerness NOT talking about animal cruelty! This is so WRONG!

PPle like him have their own forums why is he allowed to torture and harasss people here?

he seems so evil and cruel, I know many people like him exist but i DO NOT interact with them and I avoid places pple like him are found

Was not expecting to encounter a freak/monster like him on this forum
0 Replies

cateyes221981

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 11:18 am
He is trying to make the world hate a predator for doing what it does naturally!

People like him are the reason Tigers and other extremly rare predators are almost GONE!

I prey to god that we can have some sort of control over people like him, Im sure its the same sort of people who kill/beat their wives and children when they are drunk

no logic or rationality, he does not have the ability to understand, he is worse then the coyote and much more dangerous!
0 Replies

cateyes221981

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 12:03 pm
I would also just like to say please dont think i am bashing all hunters! I know some hunters out there are good people and arent sadistic killing machines

My ex use to hunt sometimes and he would NEVER kill an animal just because the animal ate meat! He also KNEW How to use a gun and only killing animals that he would totally use up

The OP just seems totally insane, I am suprised he is able to type and spell and use the internet so well
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 12:07 pm
Wow, cateyes, you don't seem to understand the policies of a2k. This is open to anyone without intrusion unless they slander another poster or use particularly obnoxious language. This is what a2k is all about.

I doubt that I've ever agreed with anything Chjsa has posted (except i do love his cat stories), but I fully support his right to speak his mind.

Yes, he doesn't understand the ecological need for predators to control the rodent population in particular, but he sure can write that he thinks they should all be killed. Do I enjoy reading those posts? Of course not.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 12:33 am
Hello, catseyes, & welcome to A2K!

Do hang in here & keep posting. You'll find quite a bit you don't agree with, but hey, argue back with your own perspective! Very Happy
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 12:36 am
Good Gawd, I thought we killed this one a long time back.

Even cj let it die....

Rolling Eyes

(welcome catseyes, and there are lots of other places that are more fun here...)
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2008 12:38 am
Msolga's post made me realize that I came on a little strong.

Welcome catseyes!

You also have every right to post your opinion so please do argue back--just respect everyone's right to express their opinion.
0 Replies