Money talks, bulls**** walks

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 10:40 pm
Quote:
Anyway, this guy shows up, and for a week he cannot find his way in from the parking lot. He sits down at other people's desks. Gets lost going to the bathroom. We literally sent out search parties.

How do people like this survive?

That's a good question. Every day at lunch time, I usually go outside for a few minutes to get some air, and I talk to some of the other people in the building.

This one girl that works for an accounting firm told me about this one accountant that used to work there. She was on cocaine and she'd come in sniffing like a bloodhound and her nose was all red around the edges.

Most of time, though, she didn't bother to show up. They stopped giving her work to do, which she complained about. They said, "if you'd show up, we'd give you work to do." She said, "If you'd give me work to do, I'd show up." What an ass.

Anyways, one day she shows up and she's got this cut on her arm, and blood all over her blouse. She said her kids had locked her out of the house -- so she smashed her fist through the window.

Yeah, she actually smashed her fist in the window, so she could get in the house! Any normal person would clean up the cut and change their clothes, but this dufus just went to work like that!

She was dripping blood all over the office, and they finally said, "Dude! You need to go clean yourself up!"

People are nuts out there.... Confused
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 07:54 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Hey, cj ... you have 20,000 posts. You are now a "Veteran Member."

Congrats!

Wow, I didn't even notice. Thanks!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 08:17 am
Ticomaya wrote:
I don't even know what this thread is about .... I just came here to congratulate cj (and thump Kicky while I was at it, of course).

Damn fine title, though.

Thanks, about the title-- Seeing as this thread has been resurrected I will fill you in on the latest with my tirade at my boss and what came out of it--

I am still working for them. And there are no more tirades, because I pretty much ignore him unless I need something from them.

Okay, after I found out the bonus was peanuts I voiced my dissatisfaction with all of it...then I went to the final store of the holiday season and kicked keester. I sold a lot. Intentionally.

So when it came round to negotiating for the second half of the tea season I was in a postition of strength. I told them no more long drives, and I now submit about the same amount of hours even though my work load has been cut down to 1/2. He agreed to this.

Plus, I told him, no more dinners.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 08:21 am
cjhsa wrote:
OK, since this thread got resurrected from the dead, my bosses recently decided to hire this contractor. We need people with very specific experience so it is very difficult to hire full timers because they tend to come with baggage.

Anyway, this guy shows up, and for a week he cannot find his way in from the parking lot. He sits down at other people's desks. Gets lost going to the bathroom. We literally sent out search parties.

How do people like this survive?

Wow. Sounds like he got hired by someone who was too busy to care?

As for the survival part, maybe this guy knows something we don't.

Someone I know who had a job with state told me a story about a guy in her office who had been dead at his desk for 3 days before anyone noticed.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 08:38 am
hey gala...sounds good.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 08:49 am
Chai wrote:
hey gala...sounds good.

Yes, it's much better. I'm expending much less energy and getting paid about the same. Thanks for your unwavering support on this one Chai, I really appreciate it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 08:50 am
How about me, Gala? I've been there for you.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 09:07 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
How about me, Gala? I've been there for you.

Right. You and your Pitchfork Palace. Where do I send you a check?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 09:12 am
Keep the money. What are friends for.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 09:33 am
Gala wrote:

Wow. Sounds like he got hired by someone who was too busy to care?

I didn't get to interview him as they consider me too new to be giving interviews, however, the people that did are very thorough and they said this guy interviewed far better than any other candidate. He just couldn't find his desk.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 10:14 am
cjhsa wrote:
I didn't get to interview him as they consider me too new to be giving interviews, however, the people that did are very thorough and they said this guy interviewed far better than any other candidate. He just couldn't find his desk.

How's he working out?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 10:23 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Keep the money. What are friends for.

You sure about this Swamp Boy? Doesn't your light bulb project need some funding? I know you're committed to it for the long haul.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 10:26 am
Gala wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

How's he working out?

Working out or being walked out? He was booted after four days.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:07 am
cjhsa wrote:
Gala wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

How's he working out?

Working out or being walked out? He was booted after four days.

From this vantage point, it's funny. It must've been kind of painful to watch.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:12 am
I think he's probably still trying to find his way back to California.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 07:42 pm
Mame wrote:

I'm merely commenting on her ingratitude of what she got as a probationary employee who is on part-time hours, and her supervisor's unprofessionalism.

Probationary period was one month-- after the first month, as written in the literature, a pay increase was applied. After the first month passed, I waited a couple of weeks to see if he would mention anything. He did not, so I did.

Mame, in your previous post you extolled the virtues and boasted of working in another industry where the bonuses were gigantic. Essentially, you told me tea was piddly.

So how do you justify my busting my ass and then asking for what is warranted as ingratitude?[/quote]

Sorry, I've been busy and didn't see your post till today.

Your last sentence is what bugs me... how do you know what is warranted in that company after having only been there two months, and part-time at that?

I wasn't boasting about gigantic bonuses - I merely told you what it was like in that industry. My bonuses were piddly compared to the engineers and geologists, I assure you. But I've also worked in other companies and during lean times where bonuses were never an option. Does that mean you wouldn't bust your ass for them? No, it just means you do your work and unfortunately, don't get a bonus. Bonuses (to me) are a privilege, not a right.

I don't know about the tea business and I am not saying it was piddly. The least you could do is not put words in my mouth. It could be just THAT tea company which is cheap - how would I know? Your inference is your problem.

I was mainly talking about your time there and your expectation after such a short period. And I believe I did say that the person who told you that you were going to get a bonus was waaaay out of line.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 08:52 am
Mame wrote:
Sorry, I've been busy and didn't see your post till today.

Your last sentence is what bugs me... how do you know what is warranted in that company after having only been there two months, and part-time at that?

Because I'm out there busting my ass for them. And, if I'm not on top of it then they'll exploit me till I'm sucked dry. Yesterday the guy emailed me about doing something that is considered an extra task, but he's taking advantage of the situation to see if he can get away with it.

It's my experience you call people on what they are doing. As a result of his "request" I asked a few pointed questions and he backed down. I believe in going above and beyond, but I also know where the road ends when it comes to money-- and I'd rather have the upper hand on my energy then be pulled in a lot of useless time-sucking situations.
0 Replies