Money talks, bulls**** walks

Gala

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 02:21 pm
kickycan wrote:
Gala wrote:
kicky, you and I have not seen eye-to-eye for a while now

Really? I had no idea. Is it a specific thing you're talking about, or just in general?

Dang, I wish I were a guy.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 02:26 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I started my last job in the first week of December, 2006. They dinged me on my bonus - didn't count December because I wasn't here for the entire month. In a job where the bonus runs about 6%, one month = .5% = a heck of a lot more than a $50 gift card.

Needless to say I was a bit ticked. The company made some absurd amount of money last year yet the feel obligated to nickle and dime me.

The fact is, working for the man has always sucked and it's just getting worse.

I don't mind working for the man. I mind the inanity of the man. It's human nature to try to get away with as much inappropriate behavior as possible. Exploitation. Fortunately, I am more like a guy than a girl when it comes to speaking up.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 04:00 pm
Quote:
To me, a bonus, like a gesture of goodwill, not based on your salary, would be a grand, minimum. For someone part time, just started in Sept but has owned their job...maybe $500.

I'm sorry, I've been in the business world for a number of years,
and the company that gives a part timer - who has been
there merely 2,5 months - a grand or $ 500 as a christmas bonus,
is almost non-existent, especially for a place who sells tea.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 04:04 pm
Gala wrote:
kickycan wrote:
Gala wrote:
kicky, you and I have not seen eye-to-eye for a while now

Really? I had no idea. Is it a specific thing you're talking about, or just in general?

Dang, I wish I were a guy.

Oh come on, you aren't going to even give me a clue?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 04:54 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I started my last job in the first week of December, 2006. They dinged me on my bonus - didn't count December because I wasn't here for the entire month. In a job where the bonus runs about 6%, one month = .5% = a heck of a lot more than a $50 gift card.

Needless to say I was a bit ticked. The company made some absurd amount of money last year yet the feel obligated to nickle and dime me.

The fact is, working for the man has always sucked and it's just getting worse.

I'm surprised you haven't shot the guy, cjhsa.

Gala:

To the issue at hand, I'm with CJ on you being a part-timer and only having been there 2.5 months. I might have given you more than $50, depending on how much you'd extended yourself, however, and I certainly wouldn't have told you in advance. So I get that you were expecting more from what was implied, so I can certainly see why you're pissed. But really, 2.5 months is nada. Now you know what he's like, you going to stick around?

And BTW, I have worked in the geological engineering and mining sector for years and it's not unheard of for geos and office staff to get bonuses ranging from $3000 - $30,000. I've received bonuses ranging from $6,000 to $11,000, myself, and I was in Marketing and IR and not a geotech. (The CEOs, etc can get $50,000 plus). Plus, raises are a given - decent ones. You are in the wrong business, girl - go find a mining company - megabucks.

Working for cheapskates isn't worth (excuse me but I must do this) "all the tea in China". groan.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 06:16 pm
Re: Money talks, bulls**** walks
Gala wrote:
Okay, so I took this PT job working for a tea company in September. They're a fairly new company and they're disorganized-- I took on extra responsibilities mostly because it would be in my interest to do so. Like coordinating schedules, tracking people down, selling a butt-load of tea.

Gala, I'm a little surprised that you expected $500 (but were willing to settle for $300) when you say yourself that you took on extra responsibilities because it was in your best interest to do so. Selling a butt-load of tea sounds more like meeting expectations than going above and beyond. I'm sure they appreciate you selling all that tea, but that's what your salary was to cover.

I agree that the guy who told you you'd be taken care of was off-base (he should have told you how much they appreciated your efforts and left it at that). I can't imagine that a part-time person working in a tea store has made more than a couple thousand dollars since September. Did you really think you were going to get a 25% bonus after 8 to 10 weeks on the job from a fairly new company?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 07:25 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Quote:
To me, a bonus, like a gesture of goodwill, not based on your salary, would be a grand, minimum. For someone part time, just started in Sept but has owned their job...maybe $500.

I'm sorry, I've been in the business world for a number of years,
and the company that gives a part timer - who has been
there merely 2,5 months - a grand or $ 500 as a christmas bonus,
is almost non-existent, especially for a place who sells tea.

see, that's bull.

I too have been in the business world "a number of years" and have spent at least 20 of them privy to the p&l's, budgets and who makes how much all the way from the ceo to the night cleaners.

I can tell you at this minute what more than 200 people made in various bonuses this year, and believe me, ain't one got a stinkin' $50 gift card....if they did, it was a by the way in addition to their bonus.

****, I buy probably...conservative estimate, a couple of dozen $50 cards a year that get handed to various employees on the spot for being caught doing a good job and going above and beyond.

Maybe you've just been around a bunch of cheap bastids.

Like I said, there's an enormous amount of money out there, don't think there isn't.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 07:39 pm
Have to disagree with you, Chai.

In my experience, bonuses reflect tenure, hours worked, as well as effort. Considering that the usual probation period is 3 months, this worker, and a part-time employee at that, is not entitled to dick. She hasn't even passed her probation.

The fact that her supervisor TOLD her she'd get something is the issue. That was very unprofessional of him and led to her having (pretty high) expectations. For all she knows (and what DOES she know, having been there only a part-time 2.5 months??), $500 could be what the boss would get. And maybe it IS, so her $50 gift card is appropriate.

I think her attitude regarding this stinks, personally. What if she'd received nothing?

And bonuses are optional, not a requirement. She's already getting paid to do the work.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 07:42 pm
I definitely worked for some cheap bastards then, when selling cars. I don't think I mentioned how much the bonus was in the other thread, but $100, every year I was there. And I made far more than entry-level money. Our warranty rep gave me $300, and that wasn't expected in the least. And this wasn't a franchise store...I did the work of a sales, finance, and internet manager for being paid as a salesman. The owners saw a lot of profit with little overhead.

Actually I remember being the only one out of 4 who they didn't cut weekly salary on, because I made such a big deal. They wanted to cut it from $150/week to $100. All worked out in the end when I left anyway.

Then again, now working for two larger companies since I've left, they don't do xmas bonuses for the outside team. Granted they pay for everything that ties into the job, and they do give us gifts, buy nice dinners here & there during meetings, so there's definitely good moral.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 07:52 pm
ok mame, I'm wrong.

I have absolutley no idea how much a couple of hundred people in my immediate area got throughout the year, and don't have their exact date of hire, or how many hours they've worked this year, or any given year since their hire.

I also couldn't begin to tell you what each of these people have been rated each year as far as their performance evaluations, or how many times they've been either written up for not adhering to policies, or commended for being stellar.

you caught me, I'm just making all this stuff up as I go along.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 07:57 pm
Chai wrote:
see, that's bull.

I too have been in the business world "a number of years" and have spent at least 20 of them privy to the p&l's, budgets and who makes how much all the way from the ceo to the night cleaners.

I can tell you at this minute what more than 200 people made in various bonuses this year, and believe me, ain't one got a stinkin' $50 gift card....if they did, it was a by the way in addition to their bonus.

****, I buy probably...conservative estimate, a couple of dozen $50 cards a year that get handed to various employees on the spot for being caught doing a good job and going above and beyond.

Maybe you've just been around a bunch of cheap bastids.

Like I said, there's an enormous amount of money out there, don't think there isn't.

Actually, I am the one deciding on the bonus payments, and part timers
with less than 3 months tenure, don't receive anything, not even a
gift certificate.

Full time employees with tenure do receive a bonus and the dollar amount
reflects on their work performance.

Quote:

Well the internet does have its advantages, doesn't it?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 07:58 pm
Ummm. I think we are comparing apples and oranges here, ladies.
Small business is worlds away from big business.

As a one guy opeeration, I understand what Gala said about jumping in and wearing multiple hats.

I have been on both sides. It sounds as if she was listening to someone without the authority to "take care" of her, or a less than straightforward boss.

RH
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:00 pm
Well, perhaps you like to read Linkat's thread about christmas bonuses,
as one of her workers did not receive what he anticipated, and she
is working for a huge corporation.

It is all based on work performance and good will, except in Chai's
company, of course.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:07 pm
Chai wrote:
ok mame, I'm wrong.

I have absolutley no idea how much a couple of hundred people in my immediate area got throughout the year, and don't have their exact date of hire, or how many hours they've worked this year, or any given year since their hire.

I also couldn't begin to tell you what each of these people have been rated each year as far as their performance evaluations, or how many times they've been either written up for not adhering to policies, or commended for being stellar.

You don't have to get snarky because we're disagreeing. Many companies don't even have a bonus program. Your company does what it does; others do what they do.

I'm merely commenting on her ingratitude of what she got as a probationary employee who is on part-time hours, and her supervisor's unprofessionalism.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:10 pm
Rockhead wrote:
Ummm. I think we are comparing apples and oranges here, ladies.
Small business is worlds away from big business.

As a one guy opeeration, I understand what Gala said about jumping in and wearing multiple hats.

I have been on both sides. It sounds as if she was listening to someone without the authority to "take care" of her, or a less than straightforward boss.

RH

It doesn't matter how many hats you're wearing if your company doesn't have a bonus policy or has a small one. You don't work all year (or in her case, a mere 2.5 months) for a bonus. You work for your pay and the bonus is just that - a bonus. A privilege, not a right. And someone else would have taken his words in quite a different way. In some companies I've worked for, we never even had a Christmas party, much less a bonus. She should be grateful to have a job.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:15 pm
Mame, I understand as well, as I have neither. We will continue to struggle forward into the new year.

I guess that is part of the point I was trying to make. This sounds like a small struggling business. Eyes wide open might realize that large bonuses were not a big reality. (especially PT)

Did I miss where other folks in her company got lavish treatment?

RH
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:17 pm
On topic, I agree that the original poster shouldn't have expected a bonus of any kind, until the manager told her she'd be taken care of.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:18 pm
Mame wrote:
She should be grateful to have a job.

You know, this is why I do so little posting and stick to the Word Game and Trivia threads.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:22 pm
Gala wrote:

I'd had a little daydream I was going to take a trip out to NM again during the Christmas/New year break, funded in part, by the fiction bonus.

Herein lies the real problem - she'd already spent the money. You know what they say, Gala, about counting chickens...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 08:25 pm
Never count your bridges til you burn your chickens.
0 Replies