Money talks, bulls**** walks

Gala

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 10:55 am
Okay, so I took this PT job working for a tea company in September. They're a fairly new company and they're disorganized-- I took on extra responsibilities mostly because it would be in my interest to do so. Like coordinating schedules, tracking people down, selling a butt-load of tea.

And, a lot of things went wrong on their end. I have patience up to a certain point and then Kerpoof! gone.

I just sent the guy an email telling him I was disappointed with the bonus (which I was told a few months ago that "I'd be taken care of")--a $50 gift card. S***, that's going to just about pay for some toilet paper.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,759 • Replies: 96
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 10:57 am
Ok... you got that off your chest.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 10:59 am
And, by the way, Gala, where do you purchase such expensive toilet paper?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 11:01 am
You just expected a bonus? A lot of people would be happy to have a $50.00 gift card. There are workers that don't get a bonus.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 11:02 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Ok... you got that off your chest.

I did. You smart-aleck. I got the gift card a few days ago and waited till today to ask him about it. Here's the meat of the tomato...he told me about geting a bonus just to shut me up. Instead of his saying-- "Hey, I f**** up and you keep ranting tiil yer done, honey." That, I could have lived with. Then, getting the gift card could have ben adelightful, hahaha, surprise...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 11:11 am
I love it when you talk dirty
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 11:26 am
I started my last job in the first week of December, 2006. They dinged me on my bonus - didn't count December because I wasn't here for the entire month. In a job where the bonus runs about 6%, one month = .5% = a heck of a lot more than a $50 gift card.

Needless to say I was a bit ticked. The company made some absurd amount of money last year yet the feel obligated to nickle and dime me.

The fact is, working for the man has always sucked and it's just getting worse.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 11:39 am
I'm sorry, but you started a part time job in September and expect
a big bonus in December? The $ 50.00 gift certificate was more than
you can expect. It's a nice gesture, not something that you can bank on.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 12:11 pm
The point, which has flown over Jane and TTH's head, is that she was deceived about how good the bonus was going to be in order to just shut her up, and she has every right to be pissed about it.

So there.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 12:18 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I started my last job in the first week of December, 2006. They dinged me on my bonus - didn't count December because I wasn't here for the entire month. In a job where the bonus runs about 6%, one month = .5% = a heck of a lot more than a $50 gift card.

Needless to say I was a bit ticked. The company made some absurd amount of money last year yet the feel obligated to nickle and dime me.

The fact is, working for the man has always sucked and it's just getting worse.

So you want to bitch and whine about the man having his foot on your neck because you don't like the size of your bonus? That sounds horribly ghetto scumbag entitled to me. Not very American.

Pull yourself up by your bootstraps boy and better yourself. I'm self employed. I finished all my holiday shopping, made a couple of charity donations and have money left over without touching my savings. God Bless America and what a Friend We have in Jesus. You live in the sky's the limit greatest country in the world. Work in it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 12:28 pm
I think kicky's got it. Anyway, some companies give year end bonuses in lieu of wage & salary because they can't forsee business conditions a year in advance, plus, the reward goes to only those who stick around till the end of the year.

They do tend to be based on someone's perception of performance. My take is that Gala has performed above and beyond the call.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 12:35 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I love it when you talk dirty

Kiss my ass.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 12:38 pm
kickycan wrote:
The point, which has flown over Jane and TTH's head, is that she was deceived about how good the bonus was going to be in order to just shut her up, and she has every right to be pissed about it.

So there.

kicky, you and I have not seen eye-to-eye for a while now, but I now bow down before you in supplication. No, this is not a blow-job, it is simple appreciation.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 12:40 pm
kickycan wrote:

So there.

Totally correct.

You tell me at work I'm going to be "taken care of" at bonus time, that better not mean some stinkin' $50 gift card.

oh yeah, $50 bucks is $50 bucks, but that not a bonus. Especially for what Gala said she's been taking on.

A $50 gift card is something that should be handed out to every employee, I mean, it's in the budget....employee morale.

Plus, here's something that will piss you off even more Gala...according to the IRS, your company is going to claim that $50 as income for you.

Oh yeah, I can see the blood pressure rising.

There is SO much money out there, don't anybody fool yourself.

To me, a bonus, like a gesture of goodwill, not based on your salary, would be a grand, minimum. For someone part time, just started in Sept but has owned their job...maybe $500.

You know what I'd do Gala?

Forget the toilet paper and use the gift card to wipe your ass, then show your boss and tell them how useful the card has been.

"Look! I can wash it off and use it again and again! Thanks!"
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 12:43 pm
Unfotunately the bacteria contained in her feces will eventually render the magnetic strip on the card useless.... and I assume that she DOES plan to use it eventually.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 12:45 pm
roger wrote:
I think kicky's got it. Anyway, some companies give year end bonuses in lieu of wage & salary because they can't forsee business conditions a year in advance, plus, the reward goes to only those who stick around till the end of the year.

They do tend to be based on someone's perception of performance. My take is that Gala has performed above and beyond the call.

Precisely, roger. And, to add a point to the "above and beyond" is they could kick back and focus on other pressing matters because I take the job seriously. They're in Chicago and I am the Washington DC, MD, Va person.

I'd had a little daydream I was going to take a trip out to NM again during the Christmas/New year break, funded in part, by the fiction bonus.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 01:00 pm
Chai wrote:
kickycan wrote:

So there.

Totally correct.

You tell me at work I'm going to be "taken care of" at bonus time, that better not mean some stinkin' $50 gift card.

oh yeah, $50 bucks is $50 bucks, but that not a bonus. Especially for what Gala said she's been taking on.

A $50 gift card is something that should be handed out to every employee, I mean, it's in the budget....employee morale.

Plus, here's something that will piss you off even more Gala...according to the IRS, your company is going to claim that $50 as income for you.

Oh yeah, I can see the blood pressure rising.

There is SO much money out there, don't anybody fool yourself.

To me, a bonus, like a gesture of goodwill, not based on your salary, would be a grand, minimum. For someone part time, just started in Sept but has owned their job...maybe $500.

You know what I'd do Gala?

Forget the toilet paper and use the gift card to wipe your ass, then show your boss and tell them how useful the card has been.

"Look! I can wash it off and use it again and again! Thanks!"

I think this has got to be the best thing I've ever posted. Although the circumstances are unfavorable, I truly appreciate that you get it.
I had $500 in mind as well. But I was willing to accept $300.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 01:08 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I take the "kiss my ass" statement back...it ought to be wipe my ass. None of your business where I purchase my TP.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 01:33 pm
Gala wrote:
kicky, you and I have not seen eye-to-eye for a while now

Really? I had no idea. Is it a specific thing you're talking about, or just in general?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 01:42 pm
Gala wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I take the "kiss my ass" statement back...it ought to be wipe my ass. None of your business where I purchase my TP.

make that offer in the right circles and you could triple that bonus you expected in one nights work. There's a lot of deviants out there. :wink:
0 Replies