The Failed Presidency.

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:47 pm
well there's cheek pouches and there's cheek pouches........
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:06 pm
"Godfather IV" with George Bush in the lead as a President who talks funny. At least he will have something to do after his classroom stay as President.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:14 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 08:18 pm
This one should make the Bush supporters proud.
http://www.freepress.org/columns.php?strFunc=display&strID=746&strYear=2003&strAuthor=7
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 08:52 pm
I'm sure the tighty righties will quiockly say one of two things:
A) We're at war..people die in wars, the sick New Yorkers are heeeeerooos, and should stop whining.
B) Ther is no proof that this stuff is harmful, and suggesting it is is unpatriotic and helps America's enemies in the war on freedom...oops..I mean the war on terrorism, heh, heh, that mike wasn't on was it? Quick, security..detain that reporter...I mean silence him...however you feel like...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 09:23 pm
Of course, there's this:

Quote:
HILLARY'S JUNK SCIENCE

By STEVEN MILLOY

September 10, 2003 -- SEN. Hillary Clinton says she'll block President Bush's nominee for chief of the Environmental Protection Agency because the EPA allegedly misled New Yorkers about health risks after the 9/11 attacks.
Overlooking the fact that the president's nominee, Mike Leavitt, was governor of Utah at the time and had no connection to the EPA's post-attack response, Clinton's criticism of the EPA's actions is groundless; she's using 9/11 as a smokescreen to attack the president's choice to head the EPA.

The EPA announced a week after the attacks that the air near Ground Zero was "safe" to breathe. Except for some rescue workers who were overexposed to fumes and dust from the wreckage, that assurance seems to have been correct.

While no one disputes that some overexposed and unprotected rescue workers in the immediate aftermath of the collapse experienced some health effects, there have been no credible reports that the ambient air quality near Ground Zero a week after the attacks, when the EPA made the statement, caused any significant, widespread or long-term harm to the public.

Moreover, an EPA risk evaluation completed a year after the attacks concluded that, after the first few days, ambient air levels were unlikely to cause short-term or long-term health effects to the general population.

But the EPA's inspector general reported in August that the agency "did not have sufficient data to make such a blanket statement" and that the agency gave New Yorkers misleading assurances about potential health risks from the air pollution generated by the World Trade Center collapse.

The IG says the White House Council on Environmental Quality "influenced the collaboration process, the information that EPA communicated to the public, through its early press releases when it convinced EPA to add reassuring statements and delete cautionary ones."

The report dismissed the EPA's year-after risk evaluation: The IG complains that the agency doesn't know how much air pollution people were exposed to, or the health status of the exposed population before the attacks.

But the IG's criticism is absurd because such data are impossible to obtain - they're not even necessary, because there's no indication any health problems were caused by whatever exposures occurred.

Also, the idea that it was inappropriate for the White House to push the EPA to proclaim the air to be safe is wrongheaded.

The EPA chief reports directly to the president. To say that the White House can't influence, much less order, the EPA to take a particular course of action would be to elevate the agency to a separate branch of government, on a par with the president, Congress and Supreme Court.

Moreover, in a time of national emergency, the White House should be directing the EPA. After all, this is an agency that spends most of its time chasing imaginary or infinitesimal health risks from the everyday environment. It's arguably not equipped to operate without supervision in an emergency.

But the report gave Clinton political cover to block Leavitt's nomination. She gets to pose as a protector of New Yorkers and score points with the eco-extremists who are Leavitt's only real foes.

President Bush nominated Leavitt as a political moderate and a consensus builder. "He respects the ability of state and local government to meet [environmental] standards. He rejects the old ways of command and control from above," said the president.

The eco-nuts, in contrast, say Leavitt represents a "hard right turn on the environment."

Finally, city and federal health officials started a project last Friday to track the health histories of 200,000 people exposed to pollution from the WTC. For the same reason that the GAO criticized the EPA's year-after risk evaluation, this project is a waste of time and money.

If Clinton feel the need to "block" something, that project would be a good start.

The article

Now, as I remember it, the Ground Zero workers weren't happy about the heavy, uncomfortable respirators they were supposed to be wearing ... prefering, if any protection at all, the strap-on paper "Painter's Masks" so recently popular in SARS neighborhoods. The Chem Suits didn't go over much bigger, either. There was some concern over this at the time, but you know how those things go. Just an annecdote, here ... a very good freind was there for about a week ... with his well trained rescue dog. The dog handlers (there were many), wore at least the paper masks most of the time, but there was no such protection for the dogs ... something bitched about, but lived with, in the interest of discharging duty and in recognition of the simple fact no dog-resperators were to be had, period. The dogs feet were cut up, despite kevlar booties on some of them, and they were constantly geting gashes and lacerations scrambling around in the shattered, hazard-studded debris field. "In the Pit", there was not only smoke and dust, but the sound and heat of fire from below, for many days. Rescue efforts, as we know, were futile. To keep up the dog's spirits, the handlers would stage "Rescues" here and there throughout the day, letting a dog "Find" a worker who had agreed to be part of "The Game" once in a whiile. I got the impression, from my freind, that the dogs knew it was a scam, but went along with it to keep the handlers from getting depressed. Probably, it went a lot in both ways. Anyway, my buddy remarked particularly about folks "In the Pit" who were op[enly disdainful of the guidelines, and even the minimum requirements, in place for personal safety. He called them "Nuts". A massive infection from a pad cut that refused to heal claimed his dog (a really sweet Lab/Shephard mix, named "Goldie", in March of 02 ... a little before what would have been her eighth birthday, I think). Some dogs died of respiratory problems too. One was shot by a cop somewhere, and another was killed by a car, none of which has anything to do with my point. But then, apart from a wet bandanna or a very strange-and-uncomfortable-to-a-dog bootie, the pups had no protective gear to choose to disregard.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 09:51 pm
Professor Hobibit's comments re: pollution in New York after the WTC tragedy is typical of the almost complete ignorance manifested by the left wing concering the environment and the "supposed global warming"
The left wing appears to know little about "global warming" and utilize kook science to try to prove that the earth is going to be burned up becaause of an alleged large change in temperature caused by greedy entrepreneurs who do not care about the "little people".

I wonder if Professor Hobibit knows that the US Senate voted not to ratify the Kyoto treaty when President Clinton was in office.

Mr. Timberlandko laid it out well. The complaints about the post WTC alleged "pollution are indeed "Hillary'S Junk Science" which is almost as mistaken and twisted as the left's take on the "alleged global pollution.

Hillary's junk science is also a slap in the face to the 3,000 dead. A diversion from the enormity of the crime against them by the fundamentalist Muslims to focus on "supposed" negligence by the Bush Administration.

What garbage emits from Hillary and her gang!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 10:06 pm
Here's another link to the NYC health problems.
http://www.geocities.com/cureworks2/nycair.htm
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 10:18 pm
The appeal there on the splashpage of the website to apply medical marijauna to WTC illnesses sure sets the tone right up front, don't it? No guessing there ... you know right where they're comming from from the go. Gotta admire that. I know its not as much fiun to read, but when it comes to real news, I prefer real information to opinion most of the time. Its a pity transcripts and charts and spreadsheets and stuff like that don't have more flashy graphics, as a rule. I'm sure if they did, they'd get more attention. Then again, probably not. They still wouldn't offer much in the way of entertainment.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 10:19 pm
hobitbob wrote:
I'm sure the tighty righties will quiockly say one of two things:

Well! Righty tighty, lefty loosey!

Oops. That's really how you tell the shop dummie how to turn the wrench on a nut. Sorry guys.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 10:20 pm
Yet another link. http://www.nyenvirolaw.org/PDF/IndexOfJenkins-7-4-03-documentary-d2-2.pdf
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 10:21 pm
Ya ever send the shop dummy to the paint locker for a can of safety-stripe paint, rog?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 10:24 pm
another. http://www.yourplanetearth.org/article.pl?sid=03/08/26/0341219&mode=threaded
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 10:29 pm
From tonight's Bill Moyers:NOW with Bill Moyers
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 10:49 pm
hobit, The pros and cons are unclear on air polution. What's your take on it?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 10:55 pm
I don't know enough about the subject to do more than assimilate what I read in the press. I fail to see how efforts to clean up the environment can be anything but positive. I am disheartened by the efforts of the current admin to gut the EPA and the environment, but I am not surprised. I often get the impression that the far right's idea of a pristine environment is a parking lot. I will say that from what I have read, to doubt the existance of damage done to the environment by the emmison of greenhouse gases and other products of combustion engines is to engage in self delusion. Yes, climate chages over time, but it does so over centuries, and any efforts that mankind may undertake to spare itself some of the more damaging effects of that change should be begin. To ignore the signs of global climate change due to partisan ideology is simple stupidity.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 11:02 pm
Uh huh, Timber. And a 50' roll of flight line comes to mind.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 11:14 pm
Here are some facts on the so-called "global warming" trumpeted by the left wing crazies.

Evidence from ice cores, glaciers, boreholes, and tree rings, deposits of microscopic animals on the sea floor, pollen in lake beds, and mineral deposits in caves show clearly that surface temperatures in some centuries have been very different from temperatures in others. from roughly 800AD until 1200 AD, for example- during what's called the Medieval Warm Period- the Northern Hemisphere became so hot that the Vikings cultivated Iceland, Greenland and Newfoundland.

As everyone knows, there were no factories or automobiles to "pollute" at that time- It would appear that the earth has cycles of warming and cooling that are NATURAL.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 11:18 pm
Professor Hobibit:

I don' t think you can find any evidence of significant "global climate change" ( as you put it) caused by man.

Please note the words significant and caused by man.

I don't think you read the right articles. I will be glad to enlighten you if you wish.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 11:20 pm
Italgato wrote:
The left wing appears to know little about "global warming" and utilize kook science to try to prove that the earth is going to be burned up becaause of an alleged large change in temperature caused by greedy entrepreneurs who do not care about the "little people".

I don't know how much you have actually read on the science of global warming, as opposed to the political arguement, but research by geologists, biologists, meteorologists, etc... has discussed this issue for at least twenty years. I recall hearing about it in my Freshman Bio class in 1985. I don't know of any study that says the earth will be burned up. I do know of studies that suggest climate change from hydrocaron emissions are likely to lead to melting of polar ice caps, leading to a rise in sea level, as well as continued deterioration of the O3 layer, which will lead to increading levels of UV radiation reaching the earth's surface, negatively effecting the struture of biomolecules. This rise in sea level may also effect which areas of the planet support agriculture and which would become inhospitable.
Your hyperbole is unneccesary, except as an attempt to be insulting.

Italgato wrote:
Hillary's junk science is also a slap in the face to the 3,000 dead. A diversion from the enormity of the crime against them by the fundamentalist Muslims to focus on "supposed" negligence by the Bush Administration.

Erm...many of the dead in all three sites were Muslim. Not all were American.
0 Replies