divorce rates so high... BECAUSE

Bohne

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 03:56 am
God created men and women different...

VERY true, and VERY good!

Why would I want to live with another ME???
I admire my husband for living with me, not sure, if I could do it!

I support my husband in almost everything.
Even his job that makes him go out and save the world (or so he thinks), leaving his family on their own for months at a time.
Even though I think he's stupid for doing it!

On the other hand he supports lots of my crazy ideas.

I think the key that seems to be lacking in your relationship is RESPECT for the other, his/her feelings, wishes and dreams.
Not an old-fashioned role model.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 07:46 am
I smell bait.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 07:50 am
boomerang wrote:
I would really like to say something here but my husband won't let me.

Do what most wives do.

Ignore him.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 09:08 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I smell bait.

I'm not interested in your hygiene habits.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 09:50 am
Quote:
Guys, if you have a child with your wife, and your child has grown up to about the age of 17, and he/she brings their gf/bf home and is about to take their gf/bf in their room. Im sure that the woman of the house will say "go ahead share your room" and the man of the house will say "hey hey hey, how can you let them sleep in the same room?"

So the woman, instead of defending her husband will make her husband look like a fool by saying that he's wrong in not allowing them to share the same room, but deep inside she knows that she doesn't want them to sleep in the same room.

What im TRYING to show you is that the women tend to want their child to grow up liking them and disliking their husband. While guys are straight up and will address a problem when they see it. A wife should support her husband's decisions, but unfortunately they dont anymore.

I don't think this is coming from a husbands point of view but a 17 year old pouting that his dad wouldn't let his girlfriend sleep in his room.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 11:05 am
mmm hmmm....

Because, as everyone knows, moms always encourage their children to bring memebers of the opposite sex into their bedrooms.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 11:10 am
I remember when I was 13 my mother walked in early from work and caught me doing the nasty with a girl named Ginger (yes that was her real name)
she was NOT a good sport about it and in fact I still have a scar on the back of my head where she took out a chunk with her belt buckle Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 11:11 am
You should have looked over your shoulder and winked at her bear.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 11:13 am
I was focused on the task at hand.... after all I was only 13..... :wink:
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 11:39 am
it lasted that long Shocked
0 Replies

kitkat bar

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 12:13 pm
martybarker wrote:
Quote:
Guys, if you have a child with your wife, and your child has grown up to about the age of 17, and he/she brings their gf/bf home and is about to take their gf/bf in their room. Im sure that the woman of the house will say "go ahead share your room" and the man of the house will say "hey hey hey, how can you let them sleep in the same room?"

So the woman, instead of defending her husband will make her husband look like a fool by saying that he's wrong in not allowing them to share the same room, but deep inside she knows that she doesn't want them to sleep in the same room.

What im TRYING to show you is that the women tend to want their child to grow up liking them and disliking their husband. While guys are straight up and will address a problem when they see it. A wife should support her husband's decisions, but unfortunately they dont anymore.

I don't think this is coming from a husbands point of view but a 17 year old pouting that his dad wouldn't let his girlfriend sleep in his room.

I agree. My mom was acutally the opposite. She didn't like the fact that myself or my brother ever brought our significant others of the opposite sex into our rooms with closed doors and my dad was usually the same but more accepting than she.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 12:30 pm
Actually, to be serious for a moment...Why ARE divorce rates so high....and, are they really?

I think it was Margaret Mead who said (paraphrasing) that we live so long now, we almost inevetable "grow out" of another person.

During, let's day, ancient Roman days, if you only lived on the average to be, what, 28 or 30, what were the chances you'd have time to get tired of someone?

Also, people's days were occupied with activities of survival, even if you were well off for whatever time period you lived in. You got up at dawn, did your activities, ate, it got dark, you fell asleep. Well, if you had candles or some type of lamp, you might sit up awhile.

Once children where grown, meaning probably 12, and where off on there own, who's to say men or women didn't say to their mate "I'm going to find someone else....or just be alone"

In other times, when people perhaps had longer life spans, a mate could go off, make his/her way to another town, 20 miles away, and could be pretty sure they'd never see the other person again. Family would think they got killed by an animal or something.

Also, today, we are so impatient. We are a "click" society (so it's been called)....we expect things to come our way at the click of a mouse, and don't appreciate developing a relationship is the product of years.

discuss.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 12:36 pm
One question I have had is how normal long-term monogamous relationships have been through history.

Earlier cultures had long term marriages... but I think that infidelity has alway been pretty common. In some cultures infidelity is accepted and even facilitated.

My suspicion is that the strong expectation of fidelity in marriage that is part of American culture is actually pretty rare historically speaking.

If fidelity were not such a strong expectation... I suspect that the divorce rate would be much lower.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 12:46 pm
I concur ebrown

long term "marriages" were, I'm thinking, more of a partnership. It didn't some from romantisized love so much as a desire and need to be with another person, and have a better life than one would have if they had to do everything for themselves.

Women became domestic goddesses because they were "tied down" because a baby was attached to their teat. It's hard to hunt bears and fight wars when you've got a toddler getting in the way.

There's the problem....breasts.

If women were the ones who gave birth, but men had the milk, they'd be the one's stuck at home.....wearing high heels....getting their feet bound.....wearing corsets.....

stupid breasts.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 12:55 pm
As usual, Chai, you've hit the nail on the head, or the nipple on the breast, and gotten to the crux of the matter. Goddamn Breasts! If it weren't for them, I wouldn't have had corns!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 01:03 pm
Yeah, but you'd probably have a bear claw would slashed across your face.

However, that would be so cool, especially when you wear the bears skull on your head.

Then, when you come home and the little man starts whining about how he didn't have time to make bread, you can point to the bear head, and knowingly nod your head.

That'll get his ass in gear.

He probably just sat around talking to the other men all day anyway.

That's why he's been putting on so much weight.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 01:37 pm
Chai wrote:
Actually, to be serious for a moment...Why ARE divorce rates so high....and, are they really?

Yeah, no, they're not. Keep going down in fact. For my demographic -- forget what it was exactly, college-educated women married to college-educated men a certain number of years ago -- the divorce rate is something like 20%.

I've posted the specific figures a few times, can try to go find them. But the whole "divorce rates are going up and up" thing is a persistent myth.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 01:39 pm
Here we go:

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1962285#1962285

It has a link to more stuff. 16% was the figure I was going for, not 20%.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 01:48 pm
good point soz.

I'm going to look this up in a minute, but I think people who divorce once may be more likely to do it again, since they've accepted this as an option.

Also, I know more than a few people that have been married multiple times, like 3, 4 or even 5 (I'm a #5 wife, go figure)

That's sort of embarrassing to admit, and, I'll tease my husband about it, like when we see a news story of somebody getting divorced again, I'll say "They're trying to catch up to you"....but....in his case, there were good reasons for divorcing.

However, even though I say that, I still harbor a feeling that many people married that many times have some type of problem.

So, one person divorcing multiple times makes the average go up.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 02:19 pm
Oh I always thought - I'll never marry a man or even go out seriously with a guy that has been divorced - he must not take marriage seriously.

Well never say never - hubby was divorced. Sometimes you just make a mistake. How the heck did I start even dating him - he didn't tell me at first and I never thought to ask. Then one day - after I was feeling strongly for him - he kept saying I can't believe you never got married. Probably because I am so hot and so great, of course and also because I was 30 so kinda old for such a hot wonderful woman to be single. Any how he asked me that several times and then I said - why do you wonder - have you been married before?

And he said yes. The sneak - he probably knew how I would feel about it and waited until he thought he had captured my heart before offerring up the information.
0 Replies